Page 80 of 763 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180580 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    JTG -

You nailed it. This was a man-made virus from the Chinese. Those assholes knew what they were doing.
    Yea, ok. Science says otherwise.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm

There was a fascinating, and gut wrenching, short documentary on the situation in Italy last night.
    Think it was on MSNBC. Was a production of Sky News from England, where an English team went into the Milan/Bergamo area, and into this giant hospital to see the situation first hand.
    Basically a plea to the English people to get ready for the peak.
    But a lot of factual information from the doctors/staff on how they are dealing with it.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Yeah, that “made in a Chinese lab” crap was debunked a month ago. I’m hoping that post was satire - I’d hate to think someone could be that ignorant.

BUT, where one can question the integrity and motives of the Chinese government is regarding the the initial disease cover-up, propagation of their own lies that the U.S. military introduced it, and the continued misinformation/lies about the number of cases and deaths. This is causing thousands of unnecessary deaths.
    Last edited by Muskie in dayton; 04-06-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    We'll have a vaccine for this one in a year, but the downside is that the way these viruses change their genetic make-up, there's a major chance that it's just going to be not that great for the next outbreak. The number one cause of the common cold is Rhinovirus, ever wonder why there isn't a vaccine for it? Well, there's over 1,000 different strains for the damn thing. Unless some breakthroughs happen to cover a bunch of strains with one or two doses, we're going to be playing catch-up unfortunately. Hell, even the flu shot is the "best guess" at what the flu strain will be that particular year (this doesn't mean don't get it, you should 100% get your flu shots).

I don't remember too much about it to be honest, I was still in high school, but looking back through my vaccine records yesterday I saw that I got the H1N1 flu shot, I'll have to check the date on that again to see when that vaccine was out. The H1N1 virus was actually the Influenza virus though, it just rearranged itself via genetic shift, and that's how it became a bit of a "pandemic," though that was very mild compared to The Spanish Flu in 1918 or what we're going through now. I think the media narrative doesn't really help with things right now, yes it's scary, and yes people should be listening, but there's not a single other thing to talk about, it's consuming everyday life and everyone involved. I think my Dad (he owns hotels by the way, not a doctor) has asked me more medical questions in the last couple weeks than ever before, just weird times.

That's an understatement, not sure if you know but a couple days ago two residents died in New York due to inadequate protection. Residents. They literally had their entire lives ahead of them, and boom, gone. There's multiple hospitals that have fired physicians for speaking out against the injustices. Here's a link with some instances people have submitted and the programs attached: Tracking Abuses in Healthcare. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened, and even less excuse for the administrators that are punishing residents and attendings for speaking out against this crap. Ridiculous. I do value the people on this board, usually always have some good level headed discussions for the most part, big change from the WVU board, that's for damn sure
    Can you post a link about the residents deaths? I cant seem to find an article but want to read about it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Can you post a link about the residents deaths? I cant seem to find an article but want to read about it.
    For you amigo, anything. It's kind of slid under the radar because of hospitals don't really want it to be known residents are out here dying, but here's a piece in Forbes: Doctors In Training Are Dying And We Are Letting Them Down

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    For you amigo, anything. It's kind of slid under the radar because of hospitals don't really want it to be known residents are out here dying, but here's a piece in Forbes: Doctors In Training Are Dying And We Are Letting Them Down
    Thank you.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    According to this quoted model the death rate is 93,000. That's a far cry from the millions some were quoting a few weeks ago.
    The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model was just updated and it shows some VERY encouraging results.

For the U.S., the projected death total by 8/4 is down to under 82,000 and nearly all hospitalizations/ICU have ended by late-May. The projected total number of hospitalizations, ICU beds, and ventilator usage have all dropped ~25% to 35%.

Ohio now projects to have a significant ICU bed surplus, even at the worst (upper end) of the uncertainty, and a peak date has moved from 4/19 to 4/8.

Projections can be seen here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
    A summary of the updates is here: http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

It feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model was just updated and it shows some VERY encouraging results.

For the U.S., the projected death total by 8/4 is down to under 82,000 and nearly all hospitalizations/ICU have ended by late-May. The projected total number of hospitalizations, ICU beds, and ventilator usage have all dropped ~25% to 35%.

Ohio now projects to have a significant ICU bed surplus, even at the worst (upper end) of the uncertainty, and a peak date has moved from 4/19 to 4/8.

Projections can be seen here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
    A summary of the updates is here: http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates

It feels like there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    I just read an article that had the head of the Cleveland Clinic stating the peak in Ohio wouldnt be until mid May to mid June. I know that is way different than this and other models though. Wonder why he thinks that.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I just read an article that had the head of the Cleveland Clinic stating the peak in Ohio wouldnt be until mid May to mid June. I know that is way different than this and other models though. Wonder why he thinks that.
    I think that would be good news, right? If you flatten the curve, the peak is much later (as well as being much more manageable).

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think that would be good news, right? If you flatten the curve, the peak is much later (as well as being much more manageable).
    And takes much longer - ugh