Page 176 of 763 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276676 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Lloyd doesn't care that millions of healthy Americans' lives have been completely destroyed because of the draconian shutdowns of the economy.
    Where are you getting this? I would love for you to cite an example as to why you believe this. I have repeatedly stated in this thread it’s time to open things up over the last several weeks. Your post is discouraging and a cold reminder of the divisiveness that’s in the Politics thread.

In actual news, here is an update on Ohio antibody testing.

“ The state will pick 1,200 households randomly from across the state. These Ohioans will receive a postcard, followed by a letter notifying them of their selection, and when to expect a team of ODH workers to visit their home. During the visit, one adult will be randomly picked for testing.

Participation is voluntary. Anyone who is picked can opt out of testing by phone or email beforehand, or turn away ODH workers in person.”

This is going to help immensely, as I believe we will see results similar to California, where the actual percentage of people with positive antibodies is much higher than the reported figures. In turn showing that we have had even more cases than we thought should speed up reopening businesses. This will also drive down the mortality rate to create more accurate models, for those that rely on models. I also think we will see that this virus was in Ohio much earlier than March.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post

“ The state will pick 1,200 households randomly from across the state. These Ohioans will receive a postcard, followed by a letter notifying them of their selection, and when to expect a team of ODH workers to visit their home. During the visit, one adult will be randomly picked for testing.

Participation is voluntary. Anyone who is picked can opt out of testing by phone or email beforehand, or turn away ODH workers in person.”

This is going to help immensely, as I believe we will see results similar to California, where the actual percentage of people with positive antibodies is much higher than the reported figures. In turn showing that we have had even more cases than we thought should speed up reopening businesses. This will also drive down the mortality rate to create more accurate models, for those that rely on models. I also think we will see that this virus was in Ohio much earlier than March.
    My personal story supports your claim. I had a Zoom call with my Dr. last Wednesday to refill a Rx. He told me unsolicited that he believes I had Covid-19 when I saw him on January 23. I flew on 1/13, including spending a long layover at DFW. I started with symptoms on 1/16 and left our project site, flew home on 1/17. On Sunday 1/19 I went to urgent care and tested flu-negative. They gave me a z-pack which did nothing. All week I could only stay awake about 4 hours in a row, then saw my Dr. on Thursday. I didn’t shake it fully until well into Feb. A co-worker I was with also caught the same thing.

Similarly, my sister, a nurse, had covid-19 symptoms about the same time, including an episode where she couldn’t breathe.

I am anxious for an antibody test for myself, my daughter (who had a very similar but milder/shorter duration symptoms, and my wife who did not appear to have it (a symptomatic?). Dr. said he would recommend me for it when available.

If this stuff was all over in January without anyone knowing, that will speak volumes.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

My apologies Lloyd for accusing of you of not caring.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...-and-dr-faucis

Today in Ohio, there are 23,697 confirmed cases of Covid. Sixty days ago exactly DeWActon, on March 9,2020 said in there press conference that they thought that there were already 100,000 cases and that the case numbers would double every 6 days to eventually reach EIGHT MILLION in the State. As that as justification, DeWActon shut the state down .

Holy Miscalculation.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post

I think this type of testing is critical to determining the real scope of this issue as well as when / how we can reopen. I've been in support of an abundance of caution up until this point - while I still support a measured approach I think we need to start making steps / progress toward re-opening. We can't stay shut down forever.

I do wish we had more/better testing for both the virus as well as antibodies as well as contact tracing. We are never going to be South Korea where confirmed (and suspected) COVID patients are removed from their homes and placed in facilities to quarantine - nor should we be - but we can put measures into place to keep the inevitable outbreaks small and contained.

Also, if my neighborhood Swim Club doesn't open this year I'm going to lose my shit.
    Eat Donuts!

I kind of developed the mentality of "Just let me know when we get to the all clear." But, I did decide to browse through some of the news again over the weekend. I wish I hadn't. This is what I learned

The numbers are going down.

The numbers are going up.

States are reopening too soon.

States need to reopen.

Everyone needs to wear a mask.

Masks don't do anything.

Testing is now available.

Testing is neither available or reliable.

Herd immunity is working in Sweden and they are three weeks away from completely reopening.

We don't know if herd immunity works or not.

If you've had it and recover, you are immune

We don't know if you're immune once you've had it.

Trump is responsible.

The doctors are intentionally inflating the numbers to make the death rate seem higher.

The death rate is higher than what we think because the doctors are reporting a lot of COVID 19 deaths as something else.

Sports will be able to resume shortly.

Sports will not be able to resume anytime soon.

It's more contagious than we thought.

It's spreading at a slower rate than predicted.

It kills young people too.

It doesn't kill young people.

It can be transmitted through semen.

We will have a vaccine in September.

We may never have a vaccine.

You know what?? SCREW IT!

We don't know what we are doing. And, that may not actually matter. We may be screwed regardless of what we do or don't do. There is no consensus on ANYTHING! It's up, it's down, there is proper testing, there isn't proper testing, it's spreading, it's subsiding, it's worse than the Spanish flu, it's not even as serious as the seasonal flu, etc, etc, etc.

If we open back up, we're screwed. If we stay locked down, we're screwed. Or...maybe not. We don't know.

So glad we are all on the same page!!

Now, alert me when we get to the all clear. I'm going back inside.

On a personal note, I like to read books and watch TV, but I'm starting to get really sick of reading books and watching TV. I'm still able to go to work everyday, which is nice. I tried working from home and lasted about two days. I now have a new appreciation for people who work from home that I didn't have before.

Stay safe!
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-11-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Brew, I feel as confused as you do. I wish we had better testing/contact tracing then we have now. Would feel a lot more comfortable.
    Meanwhile, on the economic front, here is one scary chart. It shows how long it takes to recover full employment once we dip into a recession.
    The last on in 2007 took us more than 6 years to get back to the same level. You can see the red line for this one. Can only hope we bounce back quicker.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z7y7I2DJY...ionApr2020.PNG
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

You MUST open back up and get the economy started again. I agree with the staging and delaying of ramping back up. Full tilt open back up by July 1st for the vast majority of the country.

Elderly and those with compromised immunity's should continue to stay home and shelter in place for the foreseeable future. Which could be several more months until a vaccine is available.

To me, its pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Brew, I feel as confused as you do. I wish we had better testing/contact tracing then we have now. Would feel a lot more comfortable.
    Meanwhile, on the economic front, here is one scary chart. It shows how long it takes to recover full employment once we dip into a recession.
    The last on in 2007 took us more than 6 years to get back to the same level. You can see the red line for this one. Can only hope we bounce back quicker.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z7y7I2DJY...ionApr2020.PNG
    Hopefully this one would/could be a quicker bounce back since a significant factor in the unemployment is the fact that we shut the economy down. Hopefully when we re-open we will see a surge in employment as some of the 'unemployed' were more of a temporary - furlough situation.

I do think a lot of sectors that employ a lot of people will struggle for years to come - most notably in the restaurant and hospitality industries. Even restaurants that re-open under revised 'social distancing' standards will essentially only be able to fill to half capacity (if that) which would have a significant impact on profitability in an industry that already runs on relatively thin profit margins.

I'd like to see us make a strategic decision to re-shape our economy into slightly more of a producer economy from a consumer economy. Specifically I'd like to see us make it a priority to produce more key goods domestically. One potential upside of COVID is that shows us that we are too reliant on China from a Supply Chain perspective and that they are not a particularly trustworthy partner. Specifically I would like to see key products in the technology and medical fields produced domestically. We have known this for 2+ decades but haven't done anything about it. Trump talked a lot about it - specifically China stealing our intellectual property - and I think it was one of the things he was right about.
    Eat Donuts!