Page 54 of 763 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I don’t know where to start. I wish it was in Montana (no offense to Montana!). It’s a HUGE deal in extremely dense NYC (the financial capital of the world), and it spreads like wild fire. If the Nashville tornado were still spreading and devastating other major cities we WOULD still be talking about it. It’s because this virus will continue to spread that it is the story it is. It didn’t HAPPEN....it is HAPPENING.

I get it, the media makes the most of everything. I lived in hurricane territory for decades, saw all the reporters look like they were struggling to stand up while the little old couple strolled down the beach behind them picking up sea shells.

I don’t know what the right balance is between the virus and the economy. I’ll just pray the scientists and the politicians miraculously get it right.

Well put. Is the media sensationalizing this? Yes. That's what they do. It's how they generate revenue.

However, it's highly significant that NYC is the epicenter as it is the largest city in the United States and a significant portion of our commerce flows through NY. If we open things up too early and have too many people traveling through NYC we have the potential for exponential spread across the country. I live in NJ, and if you look at a map of the state the counties in which people interact with NYC frequently are showing much higher cases than the Southern counties. We have been on isolation here for almost 2 weeks now. I'm expecting at least a month more. I also do think that in a few weeks we can probably (hopefully) start to open other parts of the Country as long as we keep people away from the large cities with a higher concentration of cases

I'm more interested in what the medical professionals are saying than what the media is saying, and they are pretty universally recommending that this should be taken seriously. While the number of cases is small in relation to the population it doesn't take much to overwhelm ICUs, which aren't used to having a significant portion of the population needing their services.

The biggest problem is that we don't have enough masks, ventilators, beds, or tests. If we can get our shit together and get stocked up on all of those essentials I think we can start talking about relaxing quarantines. Widespread testing in particular will be key to opening up travel again.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Well put. Is the media sensationalizing this? Yes. That's what they do. It's how they generate revenue.

However, it's highly significant that NYC is the epicenter as it is the largest city in the United States and a significant portion of our commerce flows through NY. If we open things up too early and have too many people traveling through NYC we have the potential for exponential spread across the country. I live in NJ, and if you look at a map of the state the counties in which people interact with NYC frequently are showing much higher cases than the Southern counties. We have been on isolation here for almost 2 weeks now. I'm expecting at least a month more. I also do think that in a few weeks we can probably (hopefully) start to open other parts of the Country as long as we keep people away from the large cities with a higher concentration of cases

I'm more interested in what the medical professionals are saying than what the media is saying, and they are pretty universally recommending that this should be taken seriously. While the number of cases is small in relation to the population it doesn't take much to overwhelm ICUs, which aren't used to having a significant portion of the population needing their services.

The biggest problem is that we don't have enough masks, ventilators, beds, or tests. If we can get our shit together and get stocked up on all of those essentials I think we can start talking about relaxing quarantines. Widespread testing in particular will be key to opening up travel again.
    I think its safe to say that NYC and surrounding areas of the epicenter of this will have to be "shut down" for much longer than an area like Cincy. NO ONE should be traveling in and out of those areas right now. I know that's easier said than done.

I'm using this map from Johns Hopkins to follow the spread of the virus. If you zoom in on the US, so far this virus is an advertisement for rural living.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm using this map from Johns Hopkins to follow the spread of the virus. If you zoom in on the US, so far this virus is an advertisement for rural living.

Thanks for sharing. This is the best tracker that I've seen.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

My 15th day back from New York City. No symptoms. Feel great.

Hallelujah!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

That's great, but that still doesn't tell how many people have had to be hospitalized, which seems to be the big concern with hospitals being "overrun".

If there are 69,000 people that have been diagnosed all over the country, but only say, 4,500 hospitalized, other than local "hotspots" like NYC, what does that say? But we don't get that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    That's great, but that still doesn't tell how many people have had to be hospitalized, which seems to be the big concern with hospitals being "overrun".

If there are 69,000 people that have been diagnosed all over the country, but only say, 4,500 hospitalized, other than local "hotspots" like NYC, what does that say? But we don't get that info.
    The concern isn't what the numbers are NOW, but that they are DOUBLING every THREE DAYS!

How about this? At what point will you be alarmed? We will quit trying to convince you that this is an issue until we reach that point. Whatever that point is, we'll probably get there within the next week or two because it is growing exponentially, and it's the exponential growth that is concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The concern isn't what the numbers are NOW, but that they are DOUBLING every THREE DAYS!

How about this? At what point will you be alarmed? We will quit trying to convince you that this is an issue until we reach that point. Whatever that point is, we'll probably get there within the next week or two because it is growing exponentially, and it's the exponential growth that is concerning.
    How about this? Let us see the hospitalization numbers and how many of the total cases are "mild' rather than life threatening? Is that too much to ask when seemingly everything is tracked?

And you keep saying "Probably". You don't know any more than anyone else. You can just keep alarming yourself. Just give me the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I think its safe to say that NYC and surrounding areas of the epicenter of this will have to be "shut down" for much longer than an area like Cincy. NO ONE should be traveling in and out of those areas right now. I know that's easier said than done.
    There is not an infected place in the world that did not have this mindset at one point. Yes contagion is theoretically relative to population but so is your medical treatment capacity. Unless Cincy and more rural areas have higher medical capacity per capita than NY (which they very well may, I don't know) then they will deal with the exact same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    How about this? Let us see the hospitalization numbers and how many of the total cases are "mild' rather than life threatening? Is that too much to ask when seemingly everything is tracked?

And you keep saying "Probably". You don't know any more than anyone else. You can just keep alarming yourself. Just give me the numbers.
    No, it isn't. I'd like to see those myself.

And I agree that you shouldn't listen to the media. But, we should be listening to the doctors and scientists. They are the ones that are concerned, and they gain absolutely nothing from sensationalizing this. So...why is it that so many people (and one guy in particular who used to be a reality TV star) are not listening to them??
    Last edited by xubrew; 03-26-2020 at 12:09 PM.