Page 52 of 763 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Hey. I'm not advocating reopening things now. I would just like to see the Modeling projections, not just the fear mongering media throwing "exponential" numbers out there.
    And some of the testing decisions are being made by the same medical professionals that say if you don't have any symptoms, don't get tested.

Point being. The "experts" who are saying that we're gonna be under these restrictions for Months more, are just as irresponsible and those that want to just throw open the doors. Yeah, we're not through this yet, but so far the hype exceeds the reality.
    But there are papers to sell and ratings to get, ya know.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Hey. I'm not advocating reopening things now. I would just like to see the Modeling projections, not just the fear mongering media throwing "exponential" numbers out there.
    And some of the testing decisions are being made by the same medical professionals that say if you don't have any symptoms, don't get tested.

Point being. The "experts" who are saying that we're gonna be under these restrictions for Months more, are just as irresponsible and those that want to just throw open the doors. Yeah, we're not through this yet, but so far the hype exceeds the reality.
    But there are papers to sell and ratings to get, ya know.
    If there were enough tests everyone with symptoms or contact would be tested. That’s not the case so those with mild symptoms that are low risk are not being tested. They may however be spreading the virus, which again stresses the importance of widespread testing to squash this thing.

Got you man. Traditional Media is not helping and social media is much worst. We have to really discern who are we reading/following. Unfortunately, this is one of those situations that there is no clear correct answer. Educated guesstimate is the best we can do. I dislike all politicians but we have to admit this is a difficult situation for them and all of us. Stay healthy.
    May the X be with you....Quitting is never an option.

Junior
    One issue to ponder is this: the 3 hotspots of this disease are NY, Cali, and Wash St. What if the hot spots were Montana, Idaho and Alabama ? I'm guessing most businesses would be open, and the quarantine would be limited to those 3 states. But, the media is headquartered in NYC, and anything that happens there becomes of utmost importance to the entire country. A good portion of Nashville was leveled by a tornado a couple weeks ago. It was news for 3 days. People in NY get Corona , and all the news shows are calling for a total lockdown of the entire country. Aside from 3 states, this is not Armageddon, it just isn't. This isolation has to end by Easter at the latest, for the rest of the country. We need to go back to work. We can't do this every time there's a new virus.

Wichita, Kansas is locked down for 30 days starting tomorrow. That gets us well past Easter. And we're geographically as far away from NY, WA and CA as you can get.

But get past that 30 days.....and it's going to get bad. I don't think you'll keep people away from each other and businesses for much longer after that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Taking your temp when you only have a meat thermometer doesn't work.
    Funny, my meat thermometer died last weekend. I put digital thermometer on the list and since I do 99.9% of the shopping, that seemed adequate. Well, Mrs ‘82 got cabin fever so I can now check my temp in a variety of orifices, but I’m still guessing at the grill.

Side note: I don’t remember ever wanting to go out to eat more than I do these days. The little things....

Last edited by xu82; 03-25-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    One issue to ponder is this: the 3 hotspots of this disease are NY, Cali, and Wash St. What if the hot spots were Montana, Idaho and Alabama ? I'm guessing most businesses would be open, and the quarantine would be limited to those 3 states. But, the media is headquartered in NYC, and anything that happens there becomes of utmost importance to the entire country. A good portion of Nashville was leveled by a tornado a couple weeks ago. It was news for 3 days. People in NY get Corona , and all the news shows are calling for a total lockdown of the entire country. Aside from 3 states, this is not Armageddon, it just isn't. This isolation has to end by Easter at the latest, for the rest of the country. We need to go back to work. We can't do this every time there's a new virus.
    I don’t know where to start. I wish it was in Montana (no offense to Montana!). It’s a HUGE deal in extremely dense NYC (the financial capital of the world), and it spreads like wild fire. If the Nashville tornado were still spreading and devastating other major cities we WOULD still be talking about it. It’s because this virus will continue to spread that it is the story it is. It didn’t HAPPEN....it is HAPPENING.

I get it, the media makes the most of everything. I lived in hurricane territory for decades, saw all the reporters look like they were struggling to stand up while the little old couple strolled down the beach behind them picking up sea shells.

I don’t know what the right balance is between the virus and the economy. I’ll just pray the scientists and the politicians miraculously get it right.

Last edited by xu82; 03-24-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Ok, again. Not being a sarcastic smart-ass but just questioning.
    We are almost halfway through the original 15 day “analyzation/stop” period. In Ohio, there have been 145 total Hospitalizations. I myself am now 13 days removed from New York City & me and all my group who went feel just fine with zero symptoms.
    What did the “models” predict for this at this point and when are the hospitals going to be overrun?

And it’s not like Ohio is all rural. We have 3 major league cities and 2 other good size ones with 11.7 million people. dayton doesn’t qualify.
    The number of cases and deaths in the United States has doubled in the last three days and we are in a period where both are growing exponentially. I’m not sure what other model that anyone else would need to see. Do you think that it’s going to stop at the end of the 15 days?

https://topic.newsbreak.com/covid-19.html?s=web
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Do the students at Liberty have to sign a "we won't sue you" form when they return to class?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The number of cases and deaths in the United States has doubled in the last three days and we are in a period where both are growing exponentially. I’m not sure what other model that anyone else would need to see. Do you think that it’s going to stop at the end of the 15 days?

https://topic.newsbreak.com/covid-19.html?s=web
    Maybe...are you sure it won't ?