Page 314 of 763 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Science be damn I guess - keep wearing your masks! If masks work, how did 85% of the covid patients in that CDC study (published by the CDC, and posted on the CDC website) who admitted to wearing masks "always" or "often", get covid? Use common sense people!!
    Masks don't protect you from other people. Masks protect other people from you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Masks don't protect you from other people. Masks protect other people from you.
    I believe that is Chapter One in COVID For Dummies.

The people who usually wore the mask but got the virus got it from the ignorant A-hole who wouldn’t wear a mask because “they knew better.”

Last edited by xu82; 10-13-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I believe that is Chapter One in COVID For Dummies.

The people who usually wore the mask but got the virus got it from the ignorant A-hole who wouldn’t wear a mask because “they knew better.”

Wow, aren't you the "can we all get along" guy on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Wow, aren't you the "can we all get along" guy on this board?
    I’m pretty easy going generally, I just get upset with folks who like to do as they please even if it means putting the lives of other people at risk. I take life and death and being respectful to others pretty seriously. Respecting other people’s LIVES trumps name calling in my book. That’s just how I personally rank it. The “ignorant” part is just a simple fact. The A-hole part I added for emphasis.

Apparently I respect the LIVES of other people more than your feelings. Sorry about that!

I would be ASHAMED to go into the grocery store without a mask and look that cashier in the eyes. I owe them that simple little act out of respect for them.

Last edited by xu82; 10-13-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I’m pretty easy going generally, I just get upset with folks who like to do as they please even if it means putting the lives of other people at risk. I take life and death and being respectful to others pretty seriously. Respecting other people’s LIVES trumps name calling in my book. That’s just how I personally rank it. The “ignorant” part is just a simple fact. The A-hole part I added for emphasis.

Apparently I respect the LIVES of other people more than your feelings. Sorry about that!

I would be ASHAMED to go into the grocery store without a mask and look that cashier in the eyes. I owe them that simple little act out of respect for them.

Interesting, so you haven't called out Bobbie for all his demonstrable lies and his incendiary rhetoric... Hmm, perhaps you agree with him, and you're really not a "in the middle" type of guy as you would like all of us to think....

I'm glad you brought up the grocery store topic again. Lets see what the CDC has to say about social distancing guidelines. They state, according to their website:

Current guidance based on community exposure, for people exposed to people with known or suspected COVID-19 or possible COVID-19:

• Individual who has had close contact (< 6 feet)** for ≥15 minutes***

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...endations.html

"So where did that 15-minute part of the guideline come from? Gurley says it's based on earlier data from China on who was being infected and how infections occurred. "Even when they found lots and lots of very casual, quick contacts, that's not where they saw evidence of transmission," she says [Emily Gurley, an epidemiologist and contact-tracing expert at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health].

Instead, she says, infections were occurring when people had "meaningful" amounts of close contact – such as traveling, dining or living together – that had a higher probability of resulting in transmission. She says the 15-minute guideline is a way to help contact tracers quantify which types of interactions were long enough to be meaningful in this context."

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...15-minute-rule

Again, I'll refer you to the study conducted by the CDC and published on their website about a month ago(https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm). This is the data from the question, "Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset:"

Never 6 (3.9%)
    Rarely 6 (3.9%)
    Sometimes 11 (7.2%)
    Often 22 (14.4%)
    Always 108 (70.6%)

So, in short, to go back to the grocery store scenario, the <6 feet, ≥15 minutes contacts just ain't happening in grocery stores (at least with me)....

CDC recommends that people wear masks in public and when around people who don’t live in your household.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t%20assistance.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

No doubt in my mind masks help, and the science agrees. This is just a drop in the bucket compared to the info and commentary on my NFL board (which dwarfs this great board). One of the Mods has a PhD in biochemistry and has worked in Big Pharma and University/research settings for decades. He has taken on the topic to keep people informed and straightened out the nonsense. It’s his baby. He is not an epidemiologist but works with them. There is more than enough fact based info there to remove any doubt. They have squashed all the counter arguments, and I’m not doing it all again here. I’ll post links if you want more than enough info to put you to sleep nightly for a month. WEAR A MASK INDOORS. The people you encounter deserve that, even if you think you are smarter than the scientists. Most places REQUIRE them to get in. Whole Foods will give you one if you don’t have one, but some people take them off as soon as they get in. You can see people giving those pompous shoppers the stink eye.

I’’m not taking sides with ANY posters here, for or against anyone. Heck, I don’t read ALL this stuff or click every link. Been there, done that. Wear a mask indoors or in crowded places outdoors. I pretty much NEVER wear one outdoors, mostly because I’m not going to foolish events that might make a mask sensible.

EDIT: Being VERY generous for the sake of argument, let’s say the info is ambiguous. If there is even A CHANCE that you wearing a mask could save someone in contact with you from becoming quite ill, or even dying, is that NOT sufficient reason to wear one? Are you and your minority that sure? Or do you just not care about other people that much?

Last edited by xu82; 10-13-2020 at 05:18 PM.

There is all sorts of acceptable risks in life.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    There is (are) all sorts of acceptable risks in life.
    Yes, it seems you are perfectly willing to risk other people’s wellbeing.

What a sport!

Every time I get behind the wheel there is a chance of an accident.