Page 208 of 763 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308708 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I don't see anything as normal. 40 million people out of work, Covid will be with us for a while and the riot season has just begun.
    The rare time it pays to live in Wichita, KS. Economy here has been pretty resilient. No serious Covid-19 outbreaks to date. No rioting/minimal protesting. Things are normal enough that I spent my weekend at a baseball tournament, at baseball practice, at a restaurant/bar and at the golf course. Tomorrow I might even go to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I don't see anything as normal. 40 million people out of work, Covid will be with us for a while and the riot season has just begun.
    No I agree about 40 million out of work was just nice to see people out enjoying life a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Serious question because I have not followed every state’s restrictions, but are you able to expand on this? Specifically what the Governor or Florida did to prevent long term care facility deaths that was different than Ohio. I don’t know about New York but Ohio did instill most the same restrictions, and a few days earlier than Florida.
    I think the main difference is DeSantis banned people who had active covid patients from returning to facilities until healthy. Also he worked with CMS to get hospital reimbursements for those patients. I’ve read he felt hospitals were better prepared to handle such cases (with covid units) then the facilities themselves.

As for Ohio, they followed (according to your article’s link) CMS which states “When should a nursing home accept a resident who was diagnosed with COVID-19 from a hospital?

A nursing home can accept a resident diagnosed with COVID-19 and still under Transmission- Based Precautions for COVID-19 as long as the facility can follow CDC guidance for Transmission-Based Precautions.”

From the Ohio article:
    “Returning & Admitting Patients

What protocol should be in place for patients returning from a hospitalization? Residents be allowed to return to a facility following a hospital discharge. The individual should be screened according to the criteria provided, and if there is an indication of illness, placed in isolation according to protocol described in ​CMS guidance​.”

Nice to see we have different strategies moving forward to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    I think the main difference is DeSantis banned people who had active covid patients from returning to facilities until healthy. Also he worked with CMS to get hospital reimbursements for those patients. I’ve read he felt hospitals were better prepared to handle such cases (with covid units) then the facilities themselves.

As for Ohio, they followed (according to your article’s link) CMS which states “When should a nursing home accept a resident who was diagnosed with COVID-19 from a hospital?

A nursing home can accept a resident diagnosed with COVID-19 and still under Transmission- Based Precautions for COVID-19 as long as the facility can follow CDC guidance for Transmission-Based Precautions.”

From the Ohio article:
    “Returning & Admitting Patients

What protocol should be in place for patients returning from a hospitalization? Residents be allowed to return to a facility following a hospital discharge. The individual should be screened according to the criteria provided, and if there is an indication of illness, placed in isolation according to protocol described in ​CMS guidance​.”

Nice to see we have different strategies moving forward to choose from.
    While true, he didn’t instill this policy until May 5th which I did link in that post as well. I guess I’m skeptical that they really did anything different at all and he is using favorable numbers for political gain (shocking I know!). Even if Florida had this policy from day 1 I am not sure it would really make too much of a difference in the numbers. How contagious is someone after a hospital stay then discharged to a skilled nursing facility? I think the transmission is pretty low at that point anyways. What does Florida do in the instance someone tests positive for weeks after recovery? Is that person stuck finding somewhere else or stuck in the hospital until they test negative? I’ve seen people test positive for several weeks after full recovery, that seems like a lot of waste if they are stuck in the hospital because they are shedding dead viral RNA.

I guess I was looking for more examples than this policy, perhaps something that would highlight the workers in the nursing home (who are likely responsible for transmitting this to patients in most cases) rather than the residents. Different PPE policies in Florida? Perhaps a different sick leave policy? Is all that the same too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    While true, he didn’t instill this policy until May 5th which I did link in that post as well. I guess I’m skeptical that they really did anything different at all and he is using favorable numbers for political gain (shocking I know!). Even if Florida had this policy from day 1 I am not sure it would really make too much of a difference in the numbers. How contagious is someone after a hospital stay then discharged to a skilled nursing facility? I think the transmission is pretty low at that point anyways. What does Florida do in the instance someone tests positive for weeks after recovery? Is that person stuck finding somewhere else or stuck in the hospital until they test negative? I’ve seen people test positive for several weeks after full recovery, that seems like a lot of waste if they are stuck in the hospital because they are shedding dead viral RNA.

I guess I was looking for more examples than this policy, perhaps something that would highlight the workers in the nursing home (who are likely responsible for transmitting this to patients in most cases) rather than the residents. Different PPE policies in Florida? Perhaps a different sick leave policy? Is all that the same too?
    https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...re-facilities/

Actually you posted an update to his original emergency order in March. From this article posted:

“DeSantis issued an emergency order in March that would prohibit visitors in nursing homes and long-term care facilities and would not allow hospitals to send patients who tested positive for COVID-19 back to their respective living facility.

Last week, DeSantis updated that rule and asked the Agency for Health Care Administration to require COVID-19 testing of all hospital patients, regardless of symptoms, prior to releasing them to a nursing home and residential care facility.”

As to your last point on PPE’s, I’m not sure. Have read things in general, but not sure it’s much different from Ohio.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...re-facilities/

Actually you posted an update to his original emergency order in March. From this article posted:

“DeSantis issued an emergency order in March that would prohibit visitors in nursing homes and long-term care facilities and would not allow hospitals to send patients who tested positive for COVID-19 back to their respective living facility.

Last week, DeSantis updated that rule and asked the Agency for Health Care Administration to require COVID-19 testing of all hospital patients, regardless of symptoms, prior to releasing them to a nursing home and residential care facility.”

As to your last point on PPE’s, I’m not sure. Have read things in general, but not sure it’s much different from Ohio.
    Yeah. DeSantis initial emergency order re Nursing Homes was on March 11. They followed the Korean model, which everyone should have and never let any Nursing Home/ Assisted Living accept any discharges from a hospital.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I guess I’m just skeptical when someone touts success well before the finish line, especially a politician. This article has some updated data that I stumbled upon while trying to find actual numbers. I’m not crazy about how the article is presented, it seems slightly alarmist, but using that data they should have taken it a step farther. Florida had 775 nursing home deaths from COVID in May. That accounts for 68% of May deaths by my calculations (775/1137).

It sounds like they (and most other states) are trying to implement daily testing for residents and employees which is probably the only way to nip it in the bud there. There isn’t a lot of data easily found but from discussions I have had with infection control staff at nursing homes they almost always trace the source to an employee that brought it into the facility and NOT a patient discharged back once recovered. I suppose if there is a reasonable facility to house these patients (I think Florida has one - in Jacksonville) that’s superior to sending someone who might be contagious to the facility.

Noticing a lack of proper social distancing with all these nationwide protests. Let's just hope we don't see spikes in new cases within all these major cities because of it. But I'm sure they'll find a way to blame Trump for that too.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Good friend of mine is a Geriatric psychologist and we had a very small get together on our daughter’s college graduation (yes outside and distance) last weekend. He said the mental health toll of the elderly has plummeted during the lockdown. Who saw that coming.

Supporting Member
    Good friend of mine is a Geriatric psychologist and we had a very small get together on our daughter’s college graduation (yes outside and distance) last weekend. He said the mental health toll of the elderly has plummeted during the lockdown. Who saw that coming.
    If I were elderly (lived a full life) I’d be especially pissed about this crap. I would prefer to live my life and take my chances, rather than be locked in a room (May as well be dead). Quality over quantity.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"