Page 525 of 763 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575625 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Lost in all this debate is that COVID-19 has a 99.8% survival rate - it barely even registers on the scale of pandemics.
    Maybe vaccines work to prevent deaths?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Palm meet face...

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Lost in all this debate is that COVID-19 has a 99.8% survival rate - it barely even registers on the scale of pandemics.
    Where is that number coming from? The IFR numbers I've seen are 1-1.5%, and even higher for Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Palm meet face...
    Serious question: why? That’s NOT being snarky.

I admit I just have thoughts and impressions about all this stuff. I spend far less time studying this trying to understand and support my position than many of you. I could probably find a bunch of links to back up almost any opinion. Words like “maybe” and “it seems like” are more appropriate to me than people who are so sure they are correct. I don’t think we know enough yet to be to firm in our opinions. I DO think that having some degree of protection probably protects people from getting sicker.

Go ahead and link away for those so inclined. Someone else will match you link for link on the opposing side. I’ll play it safe and go with what I see as being the best odds. I wore a mask early on in crowded indoor settings. I got my shots. Now I’m living my life and not obsessed with the virus. It’s not a crusade for me either way. I just hope we can keep getting closer to “normal”.
    Last edited by xu82; 07-29-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Serious question: why?
    Vaccines spur the creation of natural defense and provide a similar defense to someone who has antibodies (maybe better, maybe not. Been a moving target/message). That is unless the mRNA vaccine is gene therapy and not a traditional vaccine. If so, I’d consider it to be a therapeutic and not a traditional vaccine however if that’s true we’d have more problems with acceptance. Could be wrong but that’s what I’ve gathered from reading many sources, especially those that merely question the message. Anyway, the survival rate was high outside of the risk pop with/without the vax but I got one/two anyway. Partly to get people off my back and not have to deal with the Chad/Karen’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Vaccines spur the creation of natural defense and provide a similar defense to someone who has antibodies (maybe better, maybe not. Been a moving target/message). That is unless the mRNA vaccine is gene therapy and not a traditional vaccine. If so, I’d consider it to be a therapeutic and not a traditional vaccine however if that’s true we’d have more problems with acceptance. Could be wrong but that’s what I’ve gathered from reading many sources, especially those that merely question the message. Anyway, the survival rate was high outside of the risk pop with/without the vax but I got one/two anyway. Partly to get people off my back and not have to deal with the Chad/Karen’s.
    Thanks for a thoughtful response.

My gut from the various sources leads me to believe there is more to be gained than lost by getting the vaccine. Sure, some people have adverse reactions. It’s like winning the lottery in reverse. Some people also still get the virus, but it probably helps in terms of severity.

I’m almost positive I had it a couple months before they said it was even here. Spent a 9 hour car ride with a young lady who had just returned for NYC and she coughed the entire way. That was 12/21/19. By Christmas Day, I was too sick to drive home, so the wife put me in the back seat and did all the driving. I coughed into February. She eventually got it, but not nearly as severe. Blood type rumor/theory says that made sense as I was more apt to have a severe case.

Around the same time a buddy was starting an “Asian based bank” north of Atlanta. All Asian investors serving primarily Asians. People came and went freely at that time. He said it was like dominoes with people going down well before the virus was supposed to be here. They all got sick initially, but then never got it again. Anecdotal, I know, but the fact that they say it wasn’t here at that point makes me believe they were either unaware or lying.

I don’t believe everyone who presents the “science”, and I certainly don’t believe the MSM. I just try to take it all in and make my best guess.
    Last edited by xu82; 07-29-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Sophomore
    Question: How many times has Fauci, Walensky, Biden, the media and the CDC told us that 99% of covid deaths were from unvaccinated people?

Is/was this a bold face lie?

In a CDC slide presentation obtained by the Washington Post, the CDC shows that 15% of deaths in May were among fully vaccinated people! (and the trend doesn't look pretty) Again, how many times do I have to point out that they are lying to you - for the last 18 months this crew has lied about every aspect of this entire "pandemic".

How many times did they tell us that the vaccines had a 95% efficacy rate? The document shows that this rate is actually 61%!

A few other key quotes from the WAPO article:

"Another estimates that there are 35,000 symptomatic infections per week among (a total of) 162 million vaccinated Americans."

"The breakthrough cases are to be expected, the CDC briefing states, and will probably rise as a proportion of all cases because there are so many more people vaccinated now. This echoes data seen from studies in other countries, including highly vaccinated Singapore, where 75 percent of new infections reportedly occur in people who are partially and fully vaccinated."

"Walter A. Orenstein, associate director of the Emory Vaccine Center, said he was struck by data showing that vaccinated people who became infected with delta shed just as much virus as those who were not vaccinated. The slide references an outbreak in Barnstable County, Mass., where vaccinated and unvaccinated people shed nearly identical amounts of virus."

"It is no longer even clear whether “vaccine” is right term to describe these therapies. Most other vaccines protect for decades, if not a lifetime."

Links including slide presentation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...mask-guidance/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/conte...-c6bc8426f688/

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/sta...38891025166340

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Thanks for a thoughtful response.

My gut from the various sources leads me to believe there is more to be gained than lost by getting the vaccine. Sure, some people have adverse reactions. It’s like winning the lottery in reverse. Some people also still get the virus, but it probably helps in terms of severity.

I’m almost positive I had it a couple months before they said it was even here. Spent a 9 hour car ride with a young lady who had just returned for NYC and she coughed the entire way. That was 12/21/19. By Christmas Day, I was too sick to drive home, so the wife put me in the back seat and did all the driving. I coughed into February. She eventually got it, but not nearly as sever. Blood type rumor/theory says that made sense as I was more apt to have a severe case.

Around the same time a buddy was starting an “Asian based bank” north of Atlanta. All Asian investors serving Asians. People came and went freely at that time. He said it was like dominoes with people going down well before the virus was supposed to be here. They all got sick initially, but then never got it again. Anecdotal, I know.

I don’t believe everyone who presents the “science”, and I certainly don’t believe the MSM. I just try to take it all in and make my best guess.
    Pretty much the same here. I was working with a consultant group primarily from Asian countries who went home during Christmas break. While no one came back sick they did tell stories about how seriously it taken at home. By the end of Feb it was spreading here and the information was all over the place. Really no one’s fault unless the US played ostrich with the origin. Hard to tell because the info from China was um, not uh, forthcoming. I got the vax after discussing it with a lot of people (thx for the feedback here on how mRNA proteins work!).

The problem going forward is the damage it has done to the public’s perception of the Gov’t, it’s agencies and frankly, science. The fubarred messaging has confirmed biases and cognitive distortions on all sides to the point where everyone is mad/blaming everyone/everything.

I was pleased the Prez said today the vaccine/rollout was a bipartisan effort. That will help us all to maybe say, good job ‘Mericans and stop acting like we know what’s best for everyone, everywhere.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    Where is that number coming from? The IFR numbers I've seen are 1-1.5%, and even higher for Delta.
    That’s the CFR (case fatality rate) - the death rate of documented cases. IFR (infection fatality rate) accounts for mild/asymptomatic or otherwise undocumented infections. It’s been calculated and updated over the course of the pandemic by government agencies and academia, and is readily available.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    There’s no maybe about it, but that IFR was the same before vaccines.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"