Page 174 of 763 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274674 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    To extrapolate once more, of this were a flu pandemic, nothing from May-August would be cancelled this year.
    Well if we’re extrapolating based on types of viruses, SARS, a coronavirus, disappeared after a few months. So nothing should be canceled from June forward.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Well if we’re extrapolating based on types of viruses, SARS, a coronavirus, disappeared after a few months. So nothing should be canceled from June forward.
    Extrapolation was not based on type of virus, but based on behavior of a virus.

It is not simply the type of virus that affects seasonality and I didn't state nor imply that all viruses act like their respective class. Influenza viruses are widely encountered and, more importantly, vaccinated against annually. We would not shut down like this with a novel influenza virus because we have effective prevention and treatment and can more easily predict its course. If you want to compare COVID-19 to other coronaviruses you will be making the same mistake we made when this was discovered. It’s transmissibility is significantly greater than SARS. We didn’t really cancel anything until it came to the US, almost as if we were in a state of dismissive invincibility. SARS is more deadly but more difficult to contract which is why it flamed out quicker. For this to go away we need immunity (ideally through a vaccine) and quick disease containment. Rapid testing and contact tracing have helped immensely. It’s just a different virus we didn’t have solid knowledge or approach.

We are opening up pretty much everything in Ohio very soon, which needs to be done. However, we are not close to having solid infection control/tracing measures in place to eradicate this so we can move on and completely restore consumer confidence.

Further, if you focus your attention on exhibit B: Roy Horn survived a tiger mauling but not COVID.

Woodstock was in the summer. The pandemic was a flu which, unless I’m mistaken, would not be around in the summer in the US. It would likely have re-circulated that winter, and many following flu seasons. These are not comparable viruses or pandemics.

Edit: I did some brief research and found some data to show the timing of that flu. Can see the graph here. Talk about fake news...cmon man.
    They had to plan the Festival in the winter before it when the flu was more active. Did you read the article? And has anyone shown that any researcher had any idea that the summer would mitigate? How much research had been done on that disease behavior at that point? The article is true. Nobody shut down anything because of a disease, like has been done now. Including a Festival with 500,000 people. But today, I'm sure, some hack journalist would write a piece about how Jenny Jones, delicate flower of Minster, Ohio attended a poorly sanitized event in Saugerties, NY caught this deadly disease and died in the arms of her sobbing boyfriend- and that the whole country should be shut down over it. Based upon the number of deaths from both, yeah, I'd say they're "comparable".

C'mon Man.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Further, if you focus your attention on exhibit B: Roy Horn survived a tiger mauling but not COVID.
    Roy Horn was 75 years old, partially paralyzed, had an underlying heart condition, had been suffering from high blood pressure even in 2003, had had his windpipe crushed in the tiger attack, had barely survived and had only performed once since 2003-and that in a short benefit- but because he "tested positive" he is classified and reported as dying from coronavirus. Oh, sorry, "COMPLICATIONS" from coronavirus as if he had nothing else wrong with him.

See the problem here Lloyd? And tell me how cases are "under reported'? Wow.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    They had to plan the Festival in the winter before it when the flu was more active. Did you read the article? And has anyone shown that any researcher had any idea that the summer would mitigate? How much research had been done on that disease behavior at that point? The article is true. Nobody shut down anything because of a disease, like has been done now. Including a Festival with 500,000 people. But today, I'm sure, some hack journalist would write a piece about how Jenny Jones, delicate flower of Minster, Ohio attended a poorly sanitized event in Saugerties, NY caught this deadly disease and died in the arms of her sobbing boyfriend- and that the whole country should be shut down over it. Based upon the number of deaths from both, yeah, I'd say they're "comparable".

C'mon Man.
    I did read the article and it’s intent is clear, to show how we are over reacting now. During the 1968 pandemic there was no need to worry about summer because it was a flu (again, known that it wouldn’t be around in August) and it was not nearly as deadly. 100k deaths spread over 2+ years, we are at 80k in a matter of 4 months. If we knew COVID was going to flame out in May and come back in the late fall, don’t you think we would be planning all of our events to be in the summer? I agree the media and public freak out about things but this is a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Roy Horn was 75 years old, partially paralyzed, had an underlying heart condition, had been suffering from high blood pressure even in 2003, had had his windpipe crushed in the tiger attack, had barely survived and had only performed once since 2003-and that in a short benefit- but because he "tested positive" he is classified and reported as dying from coronavirus. Oh, sorry, "COMPLICATIONS" from coronavirus as if he had nothing else wrong with him.

See the problem here Lloyd? And tell me how cases are "under reported'? Wow.
    Lighten up, Francis... this was a joke. Guess I should have put a smiley face or something after it?

Junior
    I did read the article and it’s intent is clear, to show how we are over reacting now. During the 1968 pandemic there was no need to worry about summer because it was a flu (again, known that it wouldn’t be around in August) and it was not nearly as deadly. 100k deaths spread over 2+ years, we are at 80k in a matter of 4 ?months
    Ok, US Pop. In 1968 was 200,000,000. 100,000 deaths over 2 years is 50k per year. That works out to .00025 per year. 80k deaths today in a population of 330,000,000 works out to .00024
    It's the same as 1968, and we've risked destroying the economy. The media has scared the crap out of the whole world. We need to go back to life so we can quit arguing about this and get on to important stuff, like who is going to play the most minutes at point guard for X this season.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Ok, US Pop. In 1968 was 200,000,000. 100,000 deaths over 2 years is 50k per year. That works out to .00025 per year. 80k deaths today in a population of 330,000,000 works out to .00024
    It's the same as 1968, and we've risked destroying the economy. The media has scared the crap out of the whole world. We need to go back to life so we can quit arguing about this and get on to important stuff, like who is going to play the most minutes at point guard for X this season.
    I agree 100%. We are making the entire country suffer over a virus that mostly affects people who already have health issues, be it very old or underlying diseases. 99.95% of our population will be safe from it (won't die). Based off the data below, we have much, much larger issues in this country with health (physical and mental), than the Coronavirus.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
    Heart disease: 647,457
    Cancer: 599,108
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
    Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
    Diabetes: 83,564
    Drug Overdose: 68,557
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Now THAT’S some fuzzy math. Do you think people are done dying from this? Your post is going to look pretty ridiculous in a couple months.

Supporting Member
    I would like to know how many people under 70 with no underlying conditions have died from this. That will tell me if it is something that we should still be having a conniption over.