Page 455 of 763 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457465505555 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,550 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Yes, I’m sure there was a bonus plan for doctors and nurses that factored in how many people they killed.

Do better, Lou. They get paid to show up and do their jobs. Maybe hospitals care about how it’s coded, etc, but this sounds to me like exactly what they were trying to avoid. Healthcare was overwhelmed, especially in NYC. My wife is on calls almost all day, every day with people in NYC. The constant sirens in the background were disturbing. The local NYC folks said it has NEVER been anything like that. It wasn’t that doctors and nurses suddenly and inexplicably decided to stop doing their jobs. They couldn’t keep up.
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...-rockaway.html - I worked here for 6 weeks on a Psychiatry rotation this past winter, I knew Dr. Lee pretty well, would have had no idea how it affected him. Same goes to other people in this video that I knew. The area Far Rockaway is in is a poor socioeconomic area, plenty of nursing homes/assisted living facility, and it makes sense. They were very strict about COVID rules and I understand why compared to a couple other places that are a little more laxed (not requiring a face shield in the hospital at all times, etc.), seeing the aftermath at St. John's, it hit different areas much differently, the demographics of the area definitely were in play, but man, brutal at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    I would be interested in the opinion of our resident Doctors about implications of this study, specifically as it pertains to the mRNA vaccines:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33053430/
    Finally getting to this, so interestingly (but making sense) enough is that the ACE2 receptor that COVID binds to seems to be present at great quantities in some of the brain blood vessels, and upregulated aka a shit ton more of them around in dementia and hypertension patients, the spike protein is how COVID enters the cell, looks like the spike protein from theory is associated with some changes to the vessels of the brain, this is pretty important as the blood-brain-barrier is pretty tight, it's very picky about what it lets cross through as on the other side of the blood vessels are where your neurons live to carry out all your brain functions, this is basically saying it's making the vessels weaker, more "toxins" can filter through into the brain, and could be an explanation for some of the more neurological problems seen in COVID.

In relation to the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, we know that the mRNA codes for the spike protein of COVID to elicit an antibody response, however, it doesn't code for the ENTIRE protein, just fragments of it, and when it's injected into muscle, the muscle cells make the protein and show it on their cell surface. Now, I don't know the exact logistics/mechanism completely, so I'm shooting in the dark here, but I don't think it should cause concern for the vaccine creating spike proteins that could possibly alter your brain vessels. Where it's not the entire protein, you're not going to have complete spike proteins being formed, and we're not sure what part of the spike protein leads to the disruption of the blood brain barrier. Proteins are made in ribosomes which basically every cell has, immature red blood cells have a shit ton of ribosomes for. hemoglobin production, so it's not crazy to think it's possible for the vaccine to lead to neurological effects, but I'm going to brush up on my molecular biology and some papers before I theorize anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Yeah you just fixed it with insults. if you're losing the argument, resort to name calling. Always a good strategy for internet trolls.

And since you changed the subject AGAIN, I can only say Ashli Babbitt, was one of five people who died as a result of the invasion of the Capitol by a mob of former President Donald Trump’s supporters. Regrettable. Should she get a medal?
    No she shouldn't get a medal. I, nor anyone else on this board said anything of the sort. Did you say that righties on this board agreed with Tucker Carlson's take on masks and kids? Is there any evidence to support your claim?

Did you say that the cop who killed Ashli Babbit should get a medal?

Those are 3 yes or no questions.

Also, I would like to apologize for calling you a kook. That word seems to have cut you deeply and for that I am sorry.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post

Did you say that the cop who killed Ashli Babbit should get a medal?
    No.
    2023 Sweet 16

No.
    Are you serious? Give him a metal. Surprised they only shot one Asshole.

There’s video and he was in no danger whatsoever. Immediate danger is the standard for force for the Capital police. I don’t agree with her being there but her only actual crime was trespassing on Federal property. Still not a good idea on her part

Don't remember the quote but apparently I fucked up. No medals should be awarded for events of 1/6.
    2023 Sweet 16

Perhaps Nancy Pelosi should open a 9/11 style commission to figure out who on the Capital Hill Police shot and killed Ashli Babbitt. The fact that her death has been COMPLETELY swept under the rug is a disgrace. Now if she were non-white...
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Sophomore
    Serious question: Did Biden really get a vaccine? Why would someone who got the vax be so obsessed with wearing a mask? Even on a zoom call with world leaders?

Why did he freak out yesterday when he couldn't find his mask:

Truly, truly bizarre behavior. At best, he's giving the wrong message....

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...-rockaway.html - I worked here for 6 weeks on a Psychiatry rotation this past winter, I knew Dr. Lee pretty well, would have had no idea how it affected him. Same goes to other people in this video that I knew. The area Far Rockaway is in is a poor socioeconomic area, plenty of nursing homes/assisted living facility, and it makes sense. They were very strict about COVID rules and I understand why compared to a couple other places that are a little more laxed (not requiring a face shield in the hospital at all times, etc.), seeing the aftermath at St. John's, it hit different areas much differently, the demographics of the area definitely were in play, but man, brutal at times.

Finally getting to this, so interestingly (but making sense) enough is that the ACE2 receptor that COVID binds to seems to be present at great quantities in some of the brain blood vessels, and upregulated aka a shit ton more of them around in dementia and hypertension patients, the spike protein is how COVID enters the cell, looks like the spike protein from theory is associated with some changes to the vessels of the brain, this is pretty important as the blood-brain-barrier is pretty tight, it's very picky about what it lets cross through as on the other side of the blood vessels are where your neurons live to carry out all your brain functions, this is basically saying it's making the vessels weaker, more "toxins" can filter through into the brain, and could be an explanation for some of the more neurological problems seen in COVID.

In relation to the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, we know that the mRNA codes for the spike protein of COVID to elicit an antibody response, however, it doesn't code for the ENTIRE protein, just fragments of it, and when it's injected into muscle, the muscle cells make the protein and show it on their cell surface. Now, I don't know the exact logistics/mechanism completely, so I'm shooting in the dark here, but I don't think it should cause concern for the vaccine creating spike proteins that could possibly alter your brain vessels. Where it's not the entire protein, you're not going to have complete spike proteins being formed, and we're not sure what part of the spike protein leads to the disruption of the blood brain barrier. Proteins are made in ribosomes which basically every cell has, immature red blood cells have a shit ton of ribosomes for. hemoglobin production, so it's not crazy to think it's possible for the vaccine to lead to neurological effects, but I'm going to brush up on my molecular biology and some papers before I theorize anything more.
    I really appreciate your time and information. This makes sense and I was able to distill this down further for someone with mRNA vaccine concerns. Plus I learned a new medical term - shit ton :-).
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Serious question: Did Biden really get a vaccine? Why would someone who got the vax be so obsessed with wearing a mask? Even on a zoom call with world leaders?

Why did he freak out yesterday when he couldn't find his mask:

Truly, truly bizarre behavior. At best, he's giving the wrong message....
    He needs to set an example...and that example is if you are vaccinated, and outside, you do not need to wear a mask. There is no science based reason to wear a mask outside, especially when you have been given a shot to prevent infection.

I wear my mask to comply with rules, and to not put people who are "just doing their jobs" enforcing the mandate in the middle. They don't need people giving them shit because they are trying to follow rules set in place by our governor. But if the vaccination is now available to all those who want to take it, it is time to drop the mandates. If you don't want to get vaccinated...and you have no desire to wear a mask, then you assume responsibility for all risks to your own health.

I am fully vaccinated, like I was advised to do...now leave me the fuck alone.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    I really appreciate your time and information. This makes sense and I was able to distill this down further for someone with mRNA vaccine concerns. Plus I learned a new medical term - shit ton :-).
    Haha no worries, I'm always happy to try to explain anything I see, and it's always good to be up to date on latest research! I'm just glad it makes sense haha, was a little brain dead trying to explain it, so was a little worried it may not make sense, my teaching style is trying to relate to everyday things, so lots of "shit tons" are said, I'm gonna give the paper a more thorough read since to be honest I only read the abstract, results, and skimmed the discussion aka there's probably a lot of answers to the theories I stated because these researchers are much more brilliant than I will ever be!