Page 273 of 763 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sweden, being a Nordic country with similar climate and density as it's neighbors, would I think be more appropriately compared to it's Nordic neighbors.
    So, if you click another link on that site, you get this:

https://www.newsweek.com/why-swedens...pinion-1514486

So, you did better than densely populated Great Britain. But look at how many lives you might have saved if you did what your Nordic neighbors did.
    Sweden has twice the population of their nordic neighbors Finland and norway and has a much denser (if that's a word) pop. Comparing them just because they are next to each other is quite silly. I'll grant you Denmark's pop density is much higher.
    Last edited by Xville; 08-05-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Sweden has twice the population of their nordic neighbors Finland and norway and has a much denser (if that's a word) pop. Comparing them just because they are next to each other is quite silly. I'll grant you Denmark's pop density is much higher.
    I don't think it's silly. From the standpoint of climate and relative density I think it makes sense.
    Here are the densities of the countries noted in the first and second article comparisons:

Population per square mile:
    Belgium 973
    United Kingdom 725
    Italy 518

Denmark 349
    Sweden 59
    Norway 43
    Finland 42

By it's size, Denmark is a lot more like its neighbors to the south and west.
    But comparing Sweden to Great Britain, rather than Norway and Finland seems to be to just make a point.
    I don't think Sweden is a lot denser than its neighbors Norway and Finland. But its density is 8% of Great Britain's.

It's true Sweden has twice the population of each of it's neighbors.
    But if you take Finland, Denmark and Norway together, they are 16.6 million...with 1200 deaths.
    Sweden, with 10 million people....5300 deaths.

That just doesn't make sense as a good argument that Sweden did better.

Edit: often density can be skewed by how much land a country has. US density is 87 per square mile, but Manhattan is really dense. And real dense areas are subject apparently to rapid spread of the virus. We have a low national density, but are leading the world in deaths.
    Last edited by paulxu; 08-05-2020 at 03:34 PM.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I don't think it's silly. From the standpoint of climate and relative density I think it makes sense.
    Here are the densities of the countries noted in the first and second article comparisons:

Population per square mile:
    Belgium 973
    United Kingdom 725
    Italy 518

Denmark 349
    Sweden 59
    Norway 43
    Finland 42

By it's size, Denmark is a lot more like its neighbors to the south and west.
    But comparing Sweden to Great Britain, rather than Norway and Finland seems to be to just make a point.
    I don't think Sweden is a lot denser than its neighbors Norway and Finland. But its density is 8% of Great Britain's.

It's true Sweden has twice the population of each of it's neighbors.
    But if you take Finland, Denmark and Norway together, they are 16.6 million...with 1200 deaths.
    Sweden, with 10 million people....5300 deaths.

That just doesn't make sense as a good argument that Sweden did better.

Edit: often density can be skewed by how much land a country has. US density is 87 per square mile, but Manhattan is really dense. And real dense areas are subject apparently to rapid spread of the virus. We have a low national density, but are leading the world in deaths.
    On the other side of the coin, we have no idea how the rest of the world is really reporting deaths nor do we know if the US is accurate. I mean you can break a leg, die from a blood clot, have Covid and be classified a Covid death.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    On the other side of the coin, we have no idea how the rest of the world is really reporting deaths nor do we know if the US is accurate. I mean you can break a leg, die from a blood clot, have Covid and be classified a Covid death.
    So do you believe the death count to be less than 160k as it currently stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So do you believe the death count to be less than 160k as it currently stands?
    I believe the difference in 5300 and 1200 wouldn't have justified shutting down a country.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    I believe the difference in 5300 and 1200 wouldn't have justified shutting down a country.
    Sweden has 10 million people and 5300 deaths. 1 death for every 1886 people.

We have 330 million people. That would translate to 175,000 deaths for us. We are well on our way.

The other countries with 16.6 million and 1200 deaths have 1 death for every 13,833.

If the US tracked to that number, we'd be at 23,800 deaths, not 150,000+.

I'm not sure exactly what we might have done, but there seems like room for improvement. I think a nationally coordinated plan, with contract tracing and isolation would have helped.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sweden has 10 million people and 5300 deaths. 1 death for every 1886 people.

We have 330 million people. That would translate to 175,000 deaths for us. We are well on our way.

The other countries with 16.6 million and 1200 deaths have 1 death for every 13,833.

If the US tracked to that number, we'd be at 23,800 deaths, not 150,000+.

I'm not sure exactly what we might have done, but there seems like room for improvement. I think a nationally coordinated plan, with contract tracing and isolation would have helped.
    I thought we were comparing Sweden with it's neighbors. My point was I don't know the people of Sweden, but I'd guess they wouldn't trade off those 4,000 for having completely shut down and crippled their country. Especially since 3900 of them were over the age of 80. 5100 over the age of 70. For those keeping score at home, Sweden has had 2.5x as many people over the age of 90 die from Covid (and let's be honest with a life expectancy of 82 they were about to die anyway) as they have had die under the age of 70 die from Covid.

Who knows how accurate the death count in the US actually is though.

Report: CDC director admits hospitals have monetary ‘incentive’ to inflate coronavirus death count

https://www.thebritishjournal.com/wo...ews-4771-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Who knows how accurate the death count in the US actually is though.

Report: CDC director admits hospitals have monetary ‘incentive’ to inflate coronavirus death count

https://www.thebritishjournal.com/wo...ews-4771-2020/
    I will ask you the same question I asked xavierj (no response yet): Do you believe the death count to be less than 160k as it currently stands?

Wasn't George Floyd's death captured in Covid death figures too? If so, then yes. Not accurate counts.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12