Page 79 of 763 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179579 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Junior
    Someone mentioned measles. I was in grade school '57-'64. Virtually everyone had measles, chicken pox, and mumps. We became immune to all 3. It was nearly a rite of passage for grade school kids. Once again, we can't repeat this shutdown again. We didn't do it before, and life went on. The Chinese are probably laughing their asses off, while we wreck our economy. I'm not so sure it wasn't intentional on their part. When you have a billion people, losing even a million is just collateral damage. Meanwhile you can ruin your economic rival.

Junior
    That's great except for all of those who died or had permanent complications from those diseases.

Children get immunized now against measles, chicken pox, etc.
    They aren't required to develop an immunity on their own.

As someone mentioned, there are a lot of similarities in these viruses, and the way they are transmitted.
    Hopefully we'll do a better job the next time around.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Bill Gates to build factories to manufacture the 7 most promising vaccines, so they can all be tested in parallel.“A few billion in this situation, where there’s trillions of dollars being lost economically, it is worth it... we can save months, because every month counts.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill...navirus-2020-4

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree with this. And I can’t remember but what did we do when H1N1 hit?
    It was in the spring/summer. Obama didn't declare it an emergency until the fall. I read a more exact timeline but I can't find where. I'm also making no judgments on Obama's handling of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It was in the spring/summer. Obama didn't declare it an emergency until the fall. I read a more exact timeline but I can't find where. I'm also making no judgments on Obama's handling of it.
    From wikipedia:

The earliest reported cases in the US began appearing in early April 2009, in California [118][119] then spread to infect people in Texas, New York, and assorted other states by the end of May.
    On October 24, 2009, President Barack Obama declared Swine Flu a national emergency in the United States.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    The H1N1 is the reason my initial judgement about COVID-19 was clouded. I remember it was shortly after Labor Day 2009 when the media blew it out of proportion. I still have a “H1N1 Contingency Plan” on my computer that the company mandated so we could continue business in the event is mass H1N1 deaths. Then I gor got it a week late - very early on. It was no big deal. I was back at work in 2 days.

The crazy range of effects is the differentiator - this is no H1N1. Stay home, stop the spread and stay safe X nation.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Thanks “82”, “GIMMFD”, and “D-WEST”. Really interesting on what we went through on a 10 minute discussion. Never thought this would ever happen in our medical system.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Children get immunized now against measles, chicken pox, etc.
    They aren't required to develop an immunity on their own.

As someone mentioned, there are a lot of similarities in these viruses, and the way they are transmitted.
    Hopefully we'll do a better job the next time around.
    We'll have a vaccine for this one in a year, but the downside is that the way these viruses change their genetic make-up, there's a major chance that it's just going to be not that great for the next outbreak. The number one cause of the common cold is Rhinovirus, ever wonder why there isn't a vaccine for it? Well, there's over 1,000 different strains for the damn thing. Unless some breakthroughs happen to cover a bunch of strains with one or two doses, we're going to be playing catch-up unfortunately. Hell, even the flu shot is the "best guess" at what the flu strain will be that particular year (this doesn't mean don't get it, you should 100% get your flu shots).

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    The H1N1 is the reason my initial judgement about COVID-19 was clouded. I remember it was shortly after Labor Day 2009 when the media blew it out of proportion. I still have a “H1N1 Contingency Plan” on my computer that the company mandated so we could continue business in the event is mass H1N1 deaths. Then I gor got it a week late - very early on. It was no big deal. I was back at work in 2 days.

The crazy range of effects is the differentiator - this is no H1N1. Stay home, stop the spread and stay safe X nation.
    I don't remember too much about it to be honest, I was still in high school, but looking back through my vaccine records yesterday I saw that I got the H1N1 flu shot, I'll have to check the date on that again to see when that vaccine was out. The H1N1 virus was actually the Influenza virus though, it just rearranged itself via genetic shift, and that's how it became a bit of a "pandemic," though that was very mild compared to The Spanish Flu in 1918 or what we're going through now. I think the media narrative doesn't really help with things right now, yes it's scary, and yes people should be listening, but there's not a single other thing to talk about, it's consuming everyday life and everyone involved. I think my Dad (he owns hotels by the way, not a doctor) has asked me more medical questions in the last couple weeks than ever before, just weird times.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Thanks “82”, “GIMMFD”, and “D-WEST”. Really interesting on what we went through on a 10 minute discussion. Never thought this would ever happen in our medical system.
    That's an understatement, not sure if you know but a couple days ago two residents died in New York due to inadequate protection. Residents. They literally had their entire lives ahead of them, and boom, gone. There's multiple hospitals that have fired physicians for speaking out against the injustices. Here's a link with some instances people have submitted and the programs attached: Tracking Abuses in Healthcare. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened, and even less excuse for the administrators that are punishing residents and attendings for speaking out against this crap. Ridiculous. I do value the people on this board, usually always have some good level headed discussions for the most part, big change from the WVU board, that's for damn sure

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Someone mentioned measles. I was in grade school '57-'64. Virtually everyone had measles, chicken pox, and mumps. We became immune to all 3. It was nearly a rite of passage for grade school kids. Once again, we can't repeat this shutdown again. We didn't do it before, and life went on. The Chinese are probably laughing their asses off, while we wreck our economy. I'm not so sure it wasn't intentional on their part. When you have a billion people, losing even a million is just collateral damage. Meanwhile you can ruin your economic rival.
    JTG -

You nailed it. This was a man-made virus from the Chinese. Those assholes knew what they were doing.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12