Page 378 of 763 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388428478 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I obviously don’t know anything about your family or this situation, but since you posted here about it, I think I’m free to comment. there are quite a bit of assumptions here made by you that may not be true.

Also, the COVID shame is pretty damn lame. I speak from some experience here.
    That's right. You don't know anything about my situation. Specifically the fact that I have been urging them all to be extremely careful, but they keep having parties and going on vacations. Which is their prerogative, of course. However I have asked them repeatedly to be considerate of my parents who are substantially higher risk.

My parents want to see their grand kids, and would do anything to help their kids, so they always say 'yes' when asked to help out. I would prefer it if my siblings (all in their 30's) would not expose them.

"Hey Mom and Dad, can you watch my kid for a while today? I just got back from Florida where I ate unmasked in restaurants for a week."

My parents are ultimately adults who can make their own choices, but that will be cold comfort if something serious happens to one of them.

EDIT: I should note that I'm refraining from comment with my siblings, as it this point it won't accomplish anything. I'm just venting here anonymously.
    Last edited by boozehound; 01-15-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Just found out today that my idiot siblings back in Cincinnati have all managed to contract and give each other COVID. The have subsequently exposed both of my parents (in their mid/late 60's), but they are fine so far and awaiting test results. They are generally healthy, however my Mom is a cancer survivor who almost died as a result of an immunotherapy treatment (Cytokine storm - the same thing that kills a lot of COVID patients), so I'm not sure if that means she is at a higher risk for an immune system over-response. Pretty sure my Dad is on steroids for his back, too.

My sister decided that a vacation in Florida would be a great way to relax, and then proceeded to infect the rest of the family.
    Although I do not know their health status entirely, if they are positive I would urge them inquire with their doctor about monoclonal antibody treatment as I have shamelessly promoted a few days ago. It is becoming more widely available and many people have no idea they can get this treatment, and even some PCPs are not aware they can refer for this.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    I've not heard of anyone getting Covid twice. If people are getting it twice, I would imagine that it has to be a very small number. Like you said, you would think that we would have heard more about it.
    I’ve seen two people get it twice. Rare but we are really only 6 months removed from the first wave of covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Although I do not know their health status entirely, if they are positive I would urge them inquire with their doctor about monoclonal antibody treatment as I have shamelessly promoted a few days ago. It is becoming more widely available and many people have no idea they can get this treatment, and even some PCPs are not aware they can refer for this.
    Thank you. They plan to immediately get the treatment if they test positive or develop symptoms. My Uncle is (or was) affiliated with Christ Hospital which proved very helpful when my Mom had her battle with Cancer. He was able to connect her with some great Doctors and secure quick appointments, so I'm hopeful they will be able to figure out how to get the treatment if necessary.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    If a person gets over Covid, can they still transmit Covid to someone else even though they are presently immune?
    Unlikely, especially after 14 days (and really 10).

Edit: I think you are trying to ask if they can be an asymptomatic spreader at a later date? That is also unlikely within 12 months of infection.
    Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 01-15-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Unlikely, especially after 14 days (and really 10).

Edit: I think you are trying to ask if they can be an asymptomatic spreader at a later date? That is also unlikely within 12 months of infection.
    Thank you. Sometimes this can be a really wonderful site.
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    If I end up with COVID my PCP and immunologist both are ready to order this for me.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 01-15-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I'm having a hard time wrestling with the fact that your parents are younger than I am.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

That's right. You don't know anything about my situation. Specifically the fact that I have been urging them all to be extremely careful, but they keep having parties and going on vacations. Which is their prerogative, of course. However I have asked them repeatedly to be considerate of my parents who are substantially higher risk.

My parents want to see their grand kids, and would do anything to help their kids, so they always say 'yes' when asked to help out. I would prefer it if my siblings (all in their 30's) would not expose them.

"Hey Mom and Dad, can you watch my kid for a while today? I just got back from Florida where I ate unmasked in restaurants for a week."

My parents are ultimately adults who can make their own choices, but that will be cold comfort if something serious happens to one of them.

EDIT: I should note that I'm refraining from comment with my siblings, as it this point it won't accomplish anything. I'm just venting here anonymously.
    Nothing wrong with venting here, the way I see it. It can be helpful and it seems wise not to create an unnecessary rift with the siblings. Best of luck to your parents and siblings. Hopefully this turns out to be uneventful for all of them.

Our new SIL has a 78 year old dad in Sarasota. Our son and DIL met some friends at a distance at an outdoor venue over the holidays down in Florida. One of the 5 sisters (that’s a LOT of girls!) got in a big fit about it - presumably because she didn’t realize everyone else thought she had been invited but was accidentally overlooked and found out only after it was too late. They pointed out she had no qualms about attending Orange Theory in an indoor venue with people huffing and puffing all around her. It turned into a HUGE and LOUD issue and caused some hard feelings. (The dad just took his hearing aides out then dealt with it quietly when things calmed down, a wise man!) I’m NOT taking sides, just pointing out that hard feelings happen easily, and you only get one family.

Again, good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by xu82; 01-15-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Supporting Member
    Just found out today that my idiot siblings back in Cincinnati have all managed to contract and give each other COVID. The have subsequently exposed both of my parents (in their mid/late 60's), but they are fine so far and awaiting test results. They are generally healthy, however my Mom is a cancer survivor who almost died as a result of an immunotherapy treatment (Cytokine storm - the same thing that kills a lot of COVID patients), so I'm not sure if that means she is at a higher risk for an immune system over-response. Pretty sure my Dad is on steroids for his back, too.

My sister decided that a vacation in Florida would be a great way to relax, and then proceeded to infect the rest of the family.
    I’ll say a prayer for your family. I’ll also pray for you to be more kind to them. Blaming people and calling them names for living their lives with the small risk of CV is ridiculous. Everyone is keenly aware of that risk and everyone is free to make their own choices, whether it’s vacationing or attending family get togethers. Just like you are free to make your own choice.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"