Page 374 of 400 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 3997

Thread: Covid-19

  1. #3731
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,080
    Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    And those people staying home while those who don’t have at-risk people in the household returning to school isn’t an option? All of the above also happens with nurses, grocery store workers, bus drivers, etc.
    I don’t agree with the remote learning decisions but come on the difference is that those other professions can’t be done remotely...teaching, although an awful idea I think, can be done remotely.

  2. #3732
    Supporting Member boozehound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    5,852
    I think remote teaching works pretty well for some kids and very badly for others. As with all things, economics plays a significant role, too.

    My household is very lucky. My oldest is in 1st grade and he is doing well with the online schooling. My wife also does not work so she is there all day to administer and take care of my younger kids, who are going into Kindergarten next year. All my kids are fairly advanced academically and they have space and necessary technology to learn, as well as a social network among themselves and some neighborhood kids.

    I know other people who are of significant economic means but both parents work. They have having a much rougher time with online school. The ages of kids are also a factor - older kids are easier than kids in grades K-2 all things equal. I also know some people whose kids just aren't cut out for online school because they can't sit still at a computer for that long.

    People who are poor are the ones really suffering with online school, which I why I generally support keeping schools open even with relatively high community spread. Those people don't have the means, often both parents are working outside of the home. What do you do if you both work at a Grocery store and you have young kids during virtual school?

    It's why I generally support offering in-person schooling options even with high rates of community spread. I wouldn't opt my kids in, but it should be there for those to need it.

    It is definitely a tough break for grocery store workers in some ways, that they get branded 'essential' so they have to go to work in an environment full of people all day. On one hand - at least they still get paid. On the other hand, at-risk people in those fields have to deal with the COVID risk.
    Eat Donuts!

  3. #3733
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    13,384
    Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    And those people staying home while those who don’t have at-risk people in the household returning to school isn’t an option? All of the above also happens with nurses, grocery store workers, bus drivers, etc.
    Well for one you cant do any of the above work you mentioned remotely.

    Also I am not even saying schools shouldn't be open, I was just answering the question about old people not going to school why isn't it open.

    The idea that well if old people or compromised people just stay home they wont be at risk is silly, I was just responding to that. Not that I agree schools should be closed.

    Heck I am one of those compromised people and we are sending my 4 year old to pre school because we think he really needs to because we arent really interacting with people in our lives right now and our 4 year old needs at least some interaction with kids his own age etc.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  4. #3734
    Supporting Member bobbiemcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,287
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...data-dashboard

    Looks like the Irish has a rough Christmas.
    This space for rent.

  5. #3735
    Supporting Member noteggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,514
    Now I know why people said lockdowns were a bad idea or the language will change after the election, please see Governor Cuomoís comments at his SOTS. ďWe simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy.Ē Sounded a lot like what Trump tried to say. Hate to give Trump any credit these days, but on this he was right.

  6. #3736
    Junior Lloyd Braun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,713
    Something on the good news front: many hospital systems in Ohio have access to monoclonal antibody treatment. There are two treatments typically available - one from Eli Lilly, and one from Regeneron (Trump had this one I believe). The goal is to reduce hospitalization in higher risk categories, and I can say with good confidence that this works very well, as i help oversee this program on a local level. In our program we have done dozens of infusions and have yet to report a single hospitalization. This is consistent with the studies done with these infusions. The hospitalization rates in high-risk individuals is reduced to less than 3%.
    I urge anyone who is considered higher risk (older; immunocompromised; diabetic; obese; etc) or if you know someone higher risk to contact their doctor if they test positive to discuss this as an option. For Cincinnati folks, I know TriHealth does this infusion at Bethesda North and any TriHealth doctor can make a referral for this from what I’m told. Pretty much every person I talk to about this has no idea it exists for the community, and some people that are high risk wait too long to get it.

  7. #3737
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Now I know why people said lockdowns were a bad idea or the language will change after the election, please see Governor Cuomo’s comments at his SOTS. “We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy.” Sounded a lot like what Trump tried to say. Hate to give Trump any credit these days, but on this he was right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Something on the good news front: many hospital systems in Ohio have access to monoclonal antibody treatment. There are two treatments typically available - one from Eli Lilly, and one from Regeneron (Trump had this one I believe). The goal is to reduce hospitalization in higher risk categories, and I can say with good confidence that this works very well, as i help oversee this program on a local level. In our program we have done dozens of infusions and have yet to report a single hospitalization. This is consistent with the studies done with these infusions. The hospitalization rates in high-risk individuals is reduced to less than 3%.
    I urge anyone who is considered higher risk (older; immunocompromised; diabetic; obese; etc) or if you know someone higher risk to contact their doctor if they test positive to discuss this as an option. For Cincinnati folks, I know TriHealth does this infusion at Bethesda North and any TriHealth doctor can make a referral for this from what I’m told. Pretty much every person I talk to about this has no idea it exists for the community, and some people that are high risk wait too long to get it.
    Why did it have to take this long for these two realizations to come to light?

  8. #3738
    Junior Lloyd Braun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,713
    Well, it takes more than a couple months to create an antibody that targets a specific virus or condition, manufacture that antibody, design and execute a clinical trial to determine if this antibody is safe and effective to administer to patients, obtain emergency use authorization, and finally distribute this medication to the general public.

  9. #3739
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Springboro OH
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by tacopizza885 View Post
    Muskie (iD), I absolutely hate to hear stories like this. Thinking of you and your family and wishing the best. It sounds like your grandfather-in-law is a resilient, fighter. That generation is tough as nails, and we should do our best to protect them. Hopefully, we can turn the corner, as a country, soon.
    Thank you! Good news, he kicked Covidís butt. His mental awareness is also back. Apparently infections (not just Covid) can do they to the elderly. SMH that heís been locked in a room for 10 months to protect him and he got it.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

  10. #3740
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Well, it takes more than a couple months to create an antibody that targets a specific virus or condition, manufacture that antibody, design and execute a clinical trial to determine if this antibody is safe and effective to administer to patients, obtain emergency use authorization, and finally distribute this medication to the general public.
    I know that Trump took Regeneron when he got Covid back in early October. At that point I believe it was either experimental, or it had just come onto the market then. As far as the other treatment you cited, are you referring to Ivermectin? It may not be, as I believe that is a steroid.

    So how long have the two treatments been widely available? My point is why aren't these treatments being touted yet? If it's a timing thing, I totally understand. However, HCQ, which is still showing positive results when administered early in several studies from around the world (https://c19study.com/), was roundly squashed once Trump advocated for it. Perhaps the newer treatments are far more effective than HCQ, but early on I saw no reason whatsoever for using it as a treatment in lieu of nothing else during the first couple months of the pandemic (I'm sure I'll get crucified for the audacity of having that opinion).

    The point of my original comment is that since the beginning of this pandemic Fauci, the media and the Democrats have accepted only three ways to manage the pandemic: lockdowns, masks, and vaccines - while ignoring or criticizing alternatives such as exercise, sunshine, Vitamins C & D, Zinc, and HCQ.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •