Page 58 of 763 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158558 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Nice sources! Smh

I can’t believe there is argument of its severity and the value of lockdowns. The overwhelming evidence for lockdowns should be enough to allow common sense to take over. There will be a time that the economic benefit of ending lockdowns outweighs disease risk but we don’t seem close to that.
    What we really need to get out and available is the antibody titer testing. This will allow us to see who has been exposed and now have immunity. Get them back out into the workforce ASAP.

Sophomore
    Where is the bailout for hospitals and outpatient offices? Question for Dr. Crawford and anyone in similar positions: will you have to lay off employees due to this? As hospital staff becomes scarce, they have had to incentivize doctors/HCPs to cover shifts. That isn’t cheap, and that cost has to be made up somewhere...
    Just this week we put all the base salaries of the over 200 docs/PAs/NPs in my offices to $0.00. No PTO. No paid leave. All executives and management who were not furloughed had a 50% reduction in salary. Massive furloughs across all our facilities. We are trying to keep cash flow enough to continue to take care of our patients and stay afloat until this is over. Small, private offices are getting hammered too. The hospitals are getting taken care of with this bailout as far as I understand to a larger degree.
    Last edited by kmcrawfo; 03-26-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    What we really need to get out and available is the antibody titer testing. This will allow us to see who has been exposed and now have immunity. Get them back out into the workforce ASAP.
    Yes this test exists and turnaround time is quick, less than a day. I think the practical use of it is in debate, as IgG levels may be present during viral shedding. There is some data that may come out next week on this...

Junior
    The united states has bay far the most ICU beds in the world per capita and its not even close. When you add the scalability to our system we blow everyone out of the water. We also have the most PPE by a wide margin, and its not even close. We have more labs doing tests, and its not even close. Part of the problem is that many hospitals are not aware of labs that can do the testing. This week I personally setup 2 regional hospital who said they did not have access to testing with a lab in Atlanta that is now getting them results in 24 hours. Before that they were waiting 8-10 days for results and did not have enough swabs. I donated to them 125 kits from my own offices which could be repurposed and used for the test. They just didn't know this lab even existed.

There also was a PPE vendor in Kentucky with a surplus of recently produced PPE which I am helping get connected with local hospitals. We do have a communication issue, but it is because of our capitalistic system that private industry is being invoative now. My neighbors own a distillery and they are now making hand sanitizer in 50 gallon batches to supply to hospitals, firestations, etc.

In term so ICU numbers before we started to scale up our system if I recall the ICU Beds per capita was something like this:

USA had about 35 ICU beds per 100,000
    China had 3 ICU beds per 100,000
    Italy had 12 ICU beds per 100,000
    Spain has 9 ICU beds per 100,000

This was before Vanderbilt turning an entire parking garage into an extension of they Hospital, the US military deploying their floating hospital ships, FEMA building hospitals and ICU beds where needed, etc.

Do we have enough, probably not. Will people die because they can't access care. Most likely. Are we better able to handle this than any other country from a healthcare standpoint. Also almost certainly.
    I'm currently reading a book about DDay and WWll. From a technical standpoint Germany and Japan both had better trained soldiers. We defeated both by overwhelming them with sheer numbers of planes, tanks, etc. The same way we'll beat Covid 19. American technology, ingenuity, production and our econmy will make this just an ugly memory in the future.

I know a custom drapery shop that is making masks. Help is coming from all kinds of places.
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I cant wait for this social distancing and sheltering in place to work, save a ton of lives and then for people to claim this was all an overreaction and unnecessary.

Someone posted to twitter that that would be akin to someone's doctor prescribing them medicine, them getting better and that person thinking they werent actually sick and the doctor was wrong.

Even if one day its realized this was an overreaction to some degree again better that than the alternative. The whole goal of these somewhat extreme measures is to make this not happen and look like an overreaction.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    The US now has as many confirmed cases as China:
    https://topic.newsbreak.com/covid-19.html?s=web
    China stopped testing

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    China stopped testing
    That is true and an excellent point...

The united states has bay far the most ICU beds in the world per capita. When you add the scalability to our system we blow everyone out of the water. We also have the most PPE by a wide margin. We have more labs doing tests, but have had a shortage of the actually swabs/kits. HOwever, the swabs and kits are out there. Part of the problem is that many hospitals are not aware of which labs can do the testing. This week I personally setup 2 regional hospitals who said they did not have access to testing with a lab in Atlanta that is now getting them results in 24 hours. Before that they were waiting 8-10 days for results and did not have enough swabs. I donated to them 125 kits from my own offices which could be repurposed and used for the test. They just didn't know this lab even existed.

There also was a PPE vendor in Kentucky with a surplus of recently produced PPE which I am helping get connected with local hospitals. We do have a communication issue, but it is because of our capitalistic system that private industry is being invoative now. My neighbors own a distillery and they are now making hand sanitizer in 50 gallon batches to supply to hospitals, firestations, etc.

In terms of ICU numbers before we started to scale up our system if I recall the ICU Beds per capita was something like this:

USA had about 35 ICU beds per 100,000
    China had 3 ICU beds per 100,000
    Italy had 12 ICU beds per 100,000
    Spain has 9 ICU beds per 100,000

This was before Vanderbilt turning an entire parking garage into an extension of they Hospital, the US military deploying their floating hospital ships, FEMA building hospitals and ICU beds where needed, etc.

Do we have enough, probably not. Will people die because they can't access care. Most likely. Are we better able to handle this than any other country from a healthcare standpoint. Also almost certainly.
    Thank you for all of your input. I realize it’s a crazy time for you (and ALL of us), but we appreciate your insight.

Nice sources! Smh

I can’t believe there is argument of its severity and the value of lockdowns. The overwhelming evidence for lockdowns should be enough to allow common sense to take over. There will be a time that the economic benefit of ending lockdowns outweighs disease risk but we don’t seem close to that.
    So what happens why we decide everyone has to go back to work and we need to get back to allowing sports, concerts and everything else to resume and this thing is still lingering and we have another outbreak? Do we just lock down again? I mean the hospitals will still be flooded and people will still be at risk and people will still die. I get the whole flattening of this thing but how does that stop the spread when people start leaving the house again? And to be honest there are millions and millions of people that are not really on lock down. Its not like everyone is just sitting at home. Its crazy the number of businesses I see in operation when I drive into work and also how many businesses that can call themselves essential.