Page 63 of 763 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    This isn’t positive tests, this is deaths. There isn’t exactly a catch-up rate in deaths unless we were under reporting them before.
    My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    This isn’t positive tests, this is deaths. There isn’t exactly a catch-up rate in deaths unless we were under reporting them before.
    Wouldn’t a positive test be needed to count in the death rate? If so, then certainly people have died of it without being tested, so yes, the death rate would have been underreported.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Talking to my best friend who's a resident at a Cleveland area hospital yesterday, and they ran a sputum sample of a COVID patient and it ended up growing the mold Aspergillosis in it. I wonder how many secondary infections played a role in the mortality as well, and I wonder if areas in the US like the Ohio River Valley that has a decent chance of getting histoplasmosis/blastomycoses plays a role in outcomes, opposed to what fungal things grow in China.

Junior
    I heard a Dr on CBS this morning say one solution to quarantine is a blood test people could take to see if they are immune to the virus. Those people could go back to work wi thout posing a danger to others. I'm not a Dr so I don't fully understand that, but it sounds like a good idea to me. Also are any patients being given the hydrochloriquine yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I heard a Dr on CBS this morning say one solution to quarantine is a blood test people could take to see if they are immune to the virus. Those people could go back to work wi thout posing a danger to others. I'm not a Dr so I don't fully understand that, but it sounds like a good idea to me. Also are any patients being given the hydrochloriquine yet ?
    Testing through blood is gaining steam but still not close to being utilized on a widespread rapid basis. It does exist though and there is some discussion on this several posts ago from Dr Crawford.

There are many patients whom have received hydroxychloroquine with varied results. There are also studies on Actemra (One here in Cleveland that I have been familiar) that is targeting IL6 (check the email from Dr Crawford’s ER doc friend) to reduce the cytokine storm that has been associated with this illness.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Testing through blood is gaining steam but still not close to being utilized on a widespread rapid basis. It does exist though and there is some discussion on this several posts ago from Dr Crawford.

There are many patients whom have received hydroxychloroquine with varied results. There are also studies on Actemra (One here in Cleveland that I have been familiar) that is targeting IL6 (check the email from Dr Crawford’s ER doc friend) to reduce the cytokine storm that has been associated with this illness.
    Could you translate that last paragraph. I'm good with acct. and numbers but I was lucky to get Cs in science.

I heard an interesting thing this morning about the fatalities in Italy. The average age of those succumbing to COVID-19 there is 80. This was as of a week ago, so the average might have changed. Still, it’s an interesting fact that is not really being reported. Regardless, wash your hands and stay home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Could you translate that last paragraph. I'm good with acct. and numbers but I was lucky to get Cs in science.
    Sorry.... basically hydroxychloroquine has some effect but has varied data. It is far from a reliable treatment especially in the very ill. During this course of illness there seems to be an inflammatory reaction in those that are severely ill. This reaction can be measured through interleukin-6 levels in the blood. The drug Actemra inhibits this response and there have been some positive results though the population in the current study is too low.

Basically, I wouldn’t rely on hydroxychloroquine to be the savior, and there is advancing treatments in the pipeline that will hopefully decrease mortality.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Ohio 3/29 update:

1653 cases
    403 hospitalizations
    139 ICU
    29 deaths
    52 median age
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Apparently more than 40k died in Wuhan alone. Crazy numbers.