Page 1 of 763 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Covid-19

Feels deserving to have its own thread at this point...

It is officially in Ohio (3 cases announced today in Cuyahoga) and will soon be widespread everywhere. The economic impact is massive obviously. I am more concerned with the general “no big deal” approach we have seen that has slowed testing and treatments. I would expect the mortality rate to be lower in the US than China, but it is concerning that we really don’t have widespread testing available at this point.

Also not suggesting a massive panic or freak out is validated but the way this has been handled here has been a cluster f.

How do you think it SHOULD be (or have been) handled here? Promise it's not a "gotcha!" question. Just curious what you think.

Why are people stocking up on toilet paper? Does the corona virus give you the shits?
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Feels deserving to have its own thread at this point...

It is officially in Ohio (3 cases announced today in Cuyahoga) and will soon be widespread everywhere. The economic impact is massive obviously. I am more concerned with the general “no big deal” approach we have seen that has slowed testing and treatments. I would expect the mortality rate to be lower in the US than China, but it is concerning that we really don’t have widespread testing available at this point.

Also not suggesting a massive panic or freak out is validated but the way this has been handled here has been a cluster f.
    I've not yet seen the 'general no big deal' response. Everyone seems to be taking it extremely seriously.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    The lack of available testing kits is the biggest F up at this point imo.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    How do you think it SHOULD be (or have been) handled here? Promise it's not a "gotcha!" question. Just curious what you think.
    Widespread testing should have been available weeks ago, other countries have had this in place for a long time. Experts have been declaring this was inevitable since day 1 yet the response from CDC and local health departments has been mixed. Many ER doctors and professionals have already stated they may have seen several cases that they were unable to test due to lack of direction and guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I've not yet seen the 'general no big deal' response. Everyone seems to be taking it extremely seriously.
    Media frenzy is real but this has been a “no big deal” approach from those higher up in government and those guiding health care facilities. Now that it’s in the US and spreading rapidly there is less of that approach and more “self-quarantines.”

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The stock market is certainly taking it seriously! It’s affecting a lot of people in a lot of ways. My wife had to cancel a HUGE national event in NYC this week. Still has to pay for the event per the contract, but they will be allowed to reschedule. Our future daughter-in-law does group sales for a BIG hotel downtown, major events. She just had a $500k event cancel on her, affecting her comp.

Testing should be easy and available. I’m not sure how that could have been neglected.

It sounds good to say everyone should be able to get tested. Here’s the question. How quickly can you make 357 million test kits? Even if only half of the people want to be tested, that’s still almost 180 million tests. How long will it then take to process those tests?

It’s impractical to suggest that’s remotely possibly, yet I’m hearing people in the media blaming Trump for not having the tests readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    The stock market is certainly taking it seriously! It’s affecting a lot of people in a lot of ways. My wife had to cancel a HUGE national event in NYC this week. Still has to pay for the event per the contract, but they will be allowed to reschedule. Our future daughter-in-law does group sales for a BIG hotel downtown, major events. She just had a $500k event cancel on her, affecting her comp.

Testing should be easy and available. I’m not sure how that could have been neglected.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Trump trying to cut payroll tax is a great call. Hopefully it can help a lot of people and businesses like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Widespread testing should have been available weeks ago, other countries have had this in place for a long time. Experts have been declaring this was inevitable since day 1 yet the response from CDC and local health departments has been mixed. Many ER doctors and professionals have already stated they may have seen several cases that they were unable to test due to lack of direction and guidelines.

Media frenzy is real but this has been a “no big deal” approach from those higher up in government and those guiding health care facilities. Now that it’s in the US and spreading rapidly there is less of that approach and more “self-quarantines.”
    I agree with the widespread testing, but I think the problem is more societal than anything else. Whether it's swine flu, or SARS, or MERS, or bird flu, everyone gets scared, then it goes away, and then people forget that they were even scared and when it comes to funding research to identify, study, and develop treatments for new viruses, no one cares. It isn't the first virus outbreak. It isn't the first state of emergency either. Yet, here we are again. In a month or two, or whenever this subsides, I think the vast majority of people are going to put it out of their minds like it never even happened. Again.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...gNAM8bRAhHXXb0
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White