Page 375 of 763 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385425475 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Lost in the coverage of the tragic events at the Capitol is the Covid reality.
    380,000 Americans lost, yesterday the highest death total...over 4,000.
    A 9/11 every day. 100 9/11's so far.
    Tried to get signed up for vaccine today...they weren't taking applications; their supply was committed.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Lost in the coverage of the tragic events at the Capitol is the Covid reality.
    380,000 Americans lost, yesterday the highest death total...over 4,000.
    A 9/11 every day. 100 9/11's so far.
    Tried to get signed up for vaccine today...they weren't taking applications; their supply was committed.
    I'm not going to get into the back and forth because I know this will send people off the rails....

....but we have two 9/11's every day, COVID or not. Regardless of what's going on, roughly 7,500 people die every day in the US (mostly from heart disease). With COVID, that's increased to about an average of 8,100 per day for 2020, so an increase of about 600 per day, not 4,000. 600 more per day is obviously scary too, but quoting the 4,000 number is kind of disingenous.

Well, it's a fabulous appeal to emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I'm not going to get into the back and forth because I know this will send people off the rails....

....but we have two 9/11's every day, COVID or not. Regardless of what's going on, roughly 7,500 people die every day in the US (mostly from heart disease). With COVID, that's increased to about an average of 8,100 per day for 2020, so an increase of about 600 per day, not 4,000. 600 more per day is obviously scary too, but quoting the 4,000 number is kind of disingenous.
    This is the correct way to look at it, IMHO. Assuming these numbers are correct the annualized COVID-19 Death Toll is in the 220K range depending on the ebb and flow throughout the year (obviously the rate has accelerated and is higher now that it was over the summer, for example). Yes - still a big deal though.
    Eat Donuts!

I certainly understand the large number of people who die every day. For countless reasons.
    But when an unusual occurrence raises its head (a war, 9/11, etc) it may require a different perspective.
    Saying 9/11 only added 10 people a day to the average number who die every day would not been the appropriate response.
    I think we have done a pretty good job on some fronts, especially in ramping up finding a vaccine...and now we have to get it delivered.
    Other areas, like a nationally coordinated response, could probably use some work.
    Seeking to get the vaccine today in a couple places just let me know that it'll be a long time before we put this behind us.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    All I know is that even as a healthy 39 year old, COVID kind of kicked my ass for about two weeks. My wife and I were kind of lucky that we got it during the holidays because work was pretty light. However, had it been during a regular period, I would have been useless at work for two weeks. The headache and the fatigue was just extremely debilitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    All I know is that even as a healthy 39 year old, COVID kind of kicked my ass for about two weeks. My wife and I were kind of lucky that we got it during the holidays because work was pretty light. However, had it been during a regular period, I would have been useless at work for two weeks. The headache and the fatigue was just extremely debilitating.
    That seems to be the consensus from people that I know who have had it. A few have gotten lucky with very minor symptoms, but most have had some pretty shitty symptoms that kind of ebb and flow for about two weeks. Two weeks is a long time to be sick.

Also the Women I know seem to have had significantly milder symptoms than the men.
    Eat Donuts!

Most I know that had it were like me: I wouldn't have missed a day of work or anything else if I had the same symptoms in 2019. That, of course, doesn't mean it is not serious and responsible for many deaths.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Most I know that had it were like me: I wouldn't have missed a day of work or anything else if I had the same symptoms in 2019. That, of course, doesn't mean it is not serious and responsible for many deaths.
    It’s weird, as I said before, there are 7 adults in our little pod, 1 never got, 4 of us that got it were like me for two weeks, and two of us that got it were bad for about a day and that’s it. All of us are in decent shape for 39-40 year olds, no chronic health conditions, eat pretty well, exercise. Just odd how it affects people differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    It’s weird, as I said before, there are 7 adults in our little pod, 1 never got, 4 of us that got it were like me for two weeks, and two of us that got it were bad for about a day and that’s it. All of us are in decent shape for 39-40 year olds, no chronic health conditions, eat pretty well, exercise. Just odd how it affects people differently.
    Welcome to the world of medicine. Hard to figure out how anyone can respond to any virus. Why did my pancreas get destroyed when I was younger by a virus and left me with Type 1?

No idea and my Endo said you’ll never figure it out. Of course he was right. Probably did push me into medicine tho. To date, nothing. Over time I realized our bodies are different and viruses are going to do what they are going to do. However, nice to see the medical community is trying to take a closer look at this one.