Page 236 of 763 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336736 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Looks like Waggy won't be leaving the house after July 9th.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ty/5366424002/
    We were planning a trip to NC (probably the Highlands/Cashiers area) but realized the Governor has mandated masks almost everywhere. I’m happy to wear one when it makes sense (grocery store, Home Depot, etc.), but that seemed like a little much to me. I respect the move, but we will probably wait until it’s lifted. Oh well, save some money for now and playing it safe isn’t a bad thing.

I hope Waggy’s area follows this lead, wherever he may be!

Covid-19

NM.
    Last edited by bjf123; 07-03-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    I wear a mask when I go into the grocery store, indoors in small places and in places that mandate it. I think as a business, you should certainly be able to mandate it in your place of business. I do not believe that a government should have the power to mandate it in public, I think that is serious overstepping and a problem. Had we not done the stupid shutdown in the first place, we would be passed all of this nonsense...in my opinion, there would be herd immunity by now and we could have moved on with our lives. Our federal, state and local governments have effed this pandemic plan up so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I wear a mask when I go into the grocery store, indoors in small places and in places that mandate it. I think as a business, you should certainly be able to mandate it in your place of business. I do not believe that a government should have the power to mandate it in public, I think that is serious overstepping and a problem. Had we not done the stupid shutdown in the first place, we would be passed all of this nonsense...in my opinion, there would be herd immunity by now and we could have moved on with our lives. Our federal, state and local governments have effed this pandemic plan up so bad.
    First half of this I am in agreement... second half- yikes. Herd immunity? That requires minimum 50% infected unless there’s a vaccine. We have had at best 5% immunity to be generous. That actually assumes long term immunity which is likely but not certain. We fucked up during the shutdown to not implement better ways of preventing spread and, again, leadership reinforcing that this is a real threat to our well being.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    First half of this I am in agreement... second half- yikes. Herd immunity? That requires minimum 50% infected unless there’s a vaccine. We have had at best 5% immunity to be generous. That actually assumes long term immunity which is likely but not certain. We fucked up during the shutdown to not implement better ways of preventing spread and, again, leadership reinforcing that this is a real threat to our well being.
    Is it really a threat to our physical well-being? I'm not convinced..at least not to the healthy and non old people. Unless you are talking economically, or mentally ( I'm sick of hearing about it) then I agree.
    Last edited by Xville; 07-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.

I do not believe that a government should have the power to mandate it in public, I think that is serious overstepping and a problem.
    I'm curious. While I agree there are a LOT of things the government shouldn't be able to do, this seems to be one that might be OK. It's not restricting anyone's freedom, or taking away a right. It's something they might do for public safety...like traffic lights, or lanes on highways, etc, etc,etc.

Taiwan, with 24 million people, government said everyone wear masks, socially distance; they contact traced/quarantined = 7 deaths. Imagine if we had done that right away. On a per cap basis that might have been less than 100 hundred American deaths, instead of 125,000.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Is it really a threat to our physical well-being? I'm not convinced..at least not to the healthy and non old people. Unless you are talking economically, or mentally ( I'm sick of hearing about it) then I agree.
    General well-being... physical, mental, economic, all of the above. Because you mentioned mental health, the amount of anxiety this has caused is astronomical and unmatched. Some of it is media driven but most of it is the unknown: the inability to sift through the enormous amount of data and discern what this is all about. Look at waggy’s posts from last night to see someone who has apparently looked at a small subset of numbers to make a decision on this thing. When our experts and leaders are indecisive, the issue becomes divisive (hey that rhymes).

Although it seems like it will take forever, this will pass. We as a society are very slow and apprehensive to make major life changes. We are creatures of habit and when we are outside our comfort zone we have been poor to adapt. It’s time to adapt.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm curious. While I agree there are a LOT of things the government shouldn't be able to do, this seems to be one that might be OK. It's not restricting anyone's freedom, or taking away a right. It's something they might do for public safety...like traffic lights, or lanes on highways, etc, etc,etc.

Taiwan, with 24 million people, government said everyone wear masks, socially distance; they contact traced/quarantined = 7 deaths. Imagine if we had done that right away. On a per cap basis that might have been less than 100 hundred American deaths, instead of 125,000.
    A good analogy here is restricting smoking in public. If the only danger from smoking was to the smoker, the smoker should be allowed to smoke wherever they wish. But with second hand smoke dangers to others near the smoker, the state has every right (and indeed, an obligation) to restrict where smokers may smoke. Similarly if being sick with covid wasn't extremely contagious, even when the sick person is asymptomatic, there would be no need to require masks in public. But covid is highly contagious, and hence the need for masks.

Bottom line: people have the right to engage in risky behavior if the risk is solely to themselves. When that behavior endangers others, the state has the right and obligation to limit such behavior.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

FWIW, I just came back from a quick trip to Kroger to pick up a few things. I’d say 80-90% of the people were wearing masks. Those who weren’t didn’t fit any particular demographic. Some were white, some were black, some were young, and some were older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    FWIW, I just came back from a quick trip to Kroger to pick up a few things. I’d say 80-90% of the people were wearing masks. Those who weren’t didn’t fit any particular demographic. Some were white, some were black, some were young, and some were older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d call it close to 90% around here, and I too have yet to figure out a pattern.

On an encouraging FWIW note, a guy on my NFL board has a PhD in microbiology and has worked in university and Big Pharma settings for decades. He’s shot down every positive take anyone has had for a variety of reasons....until today. Hey, long way to go, but I’ll take any good news I can get. Here’s just the summary/ending but a link to the entire trial is available:

“These clinical findings for the BNT162b1 RNA-based vaccine candidate are encouraging and strongly support accelerated clinical development and at-risk manufacturing to maximize the opportunity for the rapid production of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine to prevent COVID-19 disease.

-------------
    Pfizer has a track record of developing and getting vaccines approved, including on a short time line upon request of the FDA. Their vaccine development and manufacturing group is battle-tested and know what it takes - though this is gonna be big.”