Page 241 of 763 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341741 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by cutterX View Post
    I gotta say the whole mask thing makes me scratch my head. If there is a .01% chance that it would help stop the spread and improve the economy it seems like a small inconvenience to deal with.

My wife is a nurse and wears the real deal N95 for a 12 hour shift. Please don't let her hear you b**ching about wearing one to Costco to get your 5 lb bucket of pork rinds! It makes her mental hearing the whining about wearing a cloth one for a small amount of time. And quite frankly a face covering would improve the looks of a lot of our fellow Americans walking around!!
    How am I just now hearing about this!?!?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

You gotta get out more often. Take a mask when you go.

(also, happy anniversary on the Dana's deal)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterX View Post
    I gotta say the whole mask thing makes me scratch my head. If there is a .01% chance that it would help stop the spread and improve the economy it seems like a small inconvenience to deal with.

My wife is a nurse and wears the real deal N95 for a 12 hour shift. Please don't let her hear you b**ching about wearing one to Costco to get your 5 lb bucket of pork rinds! It makes her mental hearing the whining about wearing a cloth one for a small amount of time. And quite frankly a face covering would improve the looks of a lot of our fellow Americans walking around!!
    I’ll start by saying I agree 100% on the wearing of masks. Now let me help you make the argument so you don’t look like a douche liberal, and actually convince people masks are a good idea.
    1. The obvious rebuttal for your wife is that she gets paid nicely to wear a mask. Totally different, bad argument. Don’t do that again.
    2. Pork rinds? Who eats those? Oh, never mind, I know... just go ahead and say “deplorables”.
    If you want to make a case for masks, great. Find some scientific basis for why they work and cite that. Do you want to insult or influence?
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Sophomore
    Well said Muskie in Dayton
    Last edited by xuwillie; 07-10-2020 at 01:37 AM.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    I’ll start by saying I agree 100% on the wearing of masks. Now let me help you make the argument so you don’t look like a douche liberal, and actually convince people masks are a good idea.
    1. The obvious rebuttal for your wife is that she gets paid nicely to wear a mask. Totally different, bad argument. Don’t do that again.
    2. Pork rinds? Who eats those? Oh, never mind, I know... just go ahead and say “deplorables”.
    If you want to make a case for masks, great. Find some scientific basis for why they work and cite that. Do you want to insult or influence?
    WTF??? Is the word of our leading disease experts not "scientific basis"? Or alternatively, what about the experience of countries that did/do use such protocols (every other major country except us) vs. the US (the only major country where lots of people, and in some cases their elected officials, decide that the science is inconvenient, and they don't want "the man" telling them what to do)?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    WTF??? Is the word of our leading disease experts not "scientific basis"? Or alternatively, what about the experience of countries that did/do use such protocols (every other major country except us) vs. the US (the only major country where lots of people, and in some cases their elected officials, decide that the science is inconvenient, and they don't want "the man" telling them what to do)?
    Most of the "leading" countries stopped testing. For example:

Jordan Schachtel
    @JordanSchachtel

Japan has 500k tests w 125MM pop. Taiwan 78k. Pop. 25MM

US has conducted > 40 million tests.

China is just lying about its numbers so disregard them.

But every country with a massive testing regime (especially postmortem testing) has seen loads of deaths+cases.

Common sense!
    So while our numbers are "horrifying", it's because of our testing numbers.

And on the flip side, there are countries that took extreme measures like...

Jordan Schachtel
    @JordanSchachtel

The only countries that have been able to *stop* the spread w a heightened testing regime have initiated brutal lockdowns & massive surveillance states. Think Israel & S Korea. And still, they may find it impossible to *stop* the spread when all is said and done. Not worth it.
    And I don't want to live under a government that can enact the measures that those countries did. Others may disagree, but if we can't get people to wear masks, why would they submit to even stricter measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Most of the "leading" countries stopped testing. For example:

So while our numbers are "horrifying", it's because of our testing numbers.

And on the flip side, there are countries that took extreme measures like...

And I don't want to live under a government that can enact the measures that those countries did. Others may disagree, but if we can't get people to wear masks, why would they submit to even stricter measures?
    Uh, my post was about people asking about masks.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Supporting Member
    Yeah the science based arguments seem to fall on deaf years, especially with the QAnon and Anti-vax folks. Instead the one argument that I have seen start to work is "if you don't wear a mask we won't have football in the fall." Screw appealing to the common good, instead appeal to personal motivations.
    Last edited by STL_XUfan; 07-10-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Uh, my post was about people asking about masks.
    And my point is that certain countries are seen as doing better than us, but if they actually tested at our rate, wouldn’t be seen the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    And my point is that certain countries are seen as doing better than us, but if they actually tested at our rate, wouldn’t be seen the same way.
    Are you saying that there are way more cases in those other countries than are being reported, because they aren't testing? If so, there should be higher hospitalization rates in those countries, which isn't happening. If you are saying that less testing means fewer cases, i.e. more testing means that more people are sick (rather than just being found as sick), then we have nothing to talk about because I can't reason with such "magical thinking".