Page 206 of 763 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306706 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Eric M. Strauss
    @ericMstrauss
    JUST IN:
    @ABC looked at 21 states that eased restrictions May 4 or earlier & found no major increase in hospitalizations, deaths or % of people testing positive in any of them. [SC, MT, GA, MS, SD, AR, CO, ID, IA, ND, OK, TN, TX, UT, WY, KS, FL, IN, MO, NE, OH] via
    @AMitrops

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    This was a HUGE mistake. They did it because they didnt want everyone to buy them all up but in the process of doing that they said they wont help anyway which was not true (overall not true, true in some sense) but they said it to get people not to use them. Fatal mistake.
    How much actual 'real' PPE was even out there for consumers to purchase I wonder? How many N95 masks actually made it from Home Depot and Lowes to Hospitals? I get that wearing as cloth mask provides limited (but still some) protection to me as the wearer, particularly in high viral load situations, but they completely ignored the other side of that equation even though it has proven to work in other countries. Many Asians wear masks when they are sick during cold and flu season. That was just a mind bogglingly stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Eric M. Strauss
    @ericMstrauss
    JUST IN:
    @ABC looked at 21 states that eased restrictions May 4 or earlier & found no major increase in hospitalizations, deaths or % of people testing positive in any of them. [SC, MT, GA, MS, SD, AR, CO, ID, IA, ND, OK, TN, TX, UT, WY, KS, FL, IN, MO, NE, OH] via
    @AMitrops
    That's fantastic news. Hopefully we can keep easing restrictions (with some remaining in place potentially) and get to the point where things are normal-ish with the possible exception of us wearing masks in crowded indoor spaces. We should also take the summer to develop reasonable plans should this recur (in the fall or otherwise) and beef up our ability to test, trace, and isolate so that we never have to do this lockdown thing again. I'm not sure what would happen to the economy if locked down again in November, but I don't want to find out.
    Eat Donuts!

Could swear I read or hear on the news that Dr. Fauci is now saying that he believes there won't be a second wave come Fall when the cold and flu season hits. It's hard for us lay people to know who to trust when the nation's TOP expert clearly has no idea what to expect with this thing.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    Could swear I read or hear on the news that Dr. Fauci is now saying that he believes there won't be a second wave come Fall when the cold and flu season hits. It's hard for us lay people to know who to trust when the nation's TOP expert clearly has no idea what to expect with this thing.
    I believe what he said, in at least the interview I saw, was that it is not inevitable. Essentially there is a possibility that we are able to get it under control to quickly react to outbreaks and avoid wide spread of a second wave.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    To toss the their numbers out and say “if we exclude deaths from those over age 70” etc. is cherry picking stats in the worst way. Why should we count their deaths? They’re just gonna die of something else anyways sometime soon, amirite or amirite?
    No. Sorry, but no, you're not right. It's not cherry picking or trivializing elderly deaths. It's illuminating a very important consideration for policy making.

For instance, preventing people from earning a living, desecrating the quality of kids education, preventing people from basic human needs, and printing $2.4 trillion
    (3x as much as Obama's much-hated stimulus I'll note)
    and throwing it everywhere is not necessary and not helpful. Using that critical fact that this is less deadly than the flu for those under 70, we should be keeping society functioning almost entirely, then take surgical measures which would be much more effective. Think how much could be done to protect nursing homes and the elderly in general for orders of magnitude less than that $2.4T. How about offering SSDI to those who have underlying medical conditions, so they don't have to work during this time? For your neighbor - compensate salary for anyone that tests positive, so they don't have to work and spread it. So many things like that could be done for so much less and be so much more effective.

That fact about deaths under 70 means we should be cutting with a scalpel, instead of with an ax.

Finally, this fact should give some context to those who have been mind-fucked by the MSM into thinking this is the end of humanity. The vast majority of society can - and should - be living their lives, albeit with some additional precautions. Again, it's not cherry-picking or trivializing - it's an incredibly critical piece of information.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Eric M. Strauss
    @ericMstrauss
    JUST IN:
    @AMitrops
    Well, he's fired.

Seriously though, just a tweet? Where's the story. I couldn't find it.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    No. Sorry, but no, you're not right. It's not cherry picking or trivializing elderly deaths. It's illuminating a very important consideration for policy making.

For instance, preventing people from earning a living, desecrating the quality of kids education, preventing people from basic human needs, and printing $2.4 trillion
    (3x as much as Obama's much-hated stimulus I'll note)
    and throwing it everywhere is not necessary and not helpful. Using that critical fact that this is less deadly than the flu for those under 70, we should be keeping society functioning almost entirely, then take surgical measures which would be much more effective. Think how much could be done to protect nursing homes and the elderly in general for orders of magnitude less than that $2.4T. How about offering SSDI to those who have underlying medical conditions, so they don't have to work during this time? For your neighbor - compensate salary for anyone that tests positive, so they don't have to work and spread it. So many things like that could be done for so much less and be so much more effective.

That fact about deaths under 70 means we should be cutting with a scalpel, instead of with an ax.

Finally, this fact should give some context to those who have been mind-fucked by the MSM into thinking this is the end of humanity. The vast majority of society can - and should - be living their lives, albeit with some additional precautions. Again, it's not cherry-picking or trivializing - it's an incredibly critical piece of information.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the SSDI proposition and was alluding to that as a very viable option. It’s exactly what Sweden and other European nations have done, as they already have those policies in place and simply expanded them during the pandemic.

And yes, hindsight is 20/20 and we cannot go back in time to change our lockdowns. That said there is more to this disease and economic burden than simply deaths. Average cost of each hospitalization is over $100k whether they die or not- regardless of age. Again, you can’t flip the switch on consumer confidence, it is a trust that is built over time.

I don’t consume MSM via television or radio so I don’t see the “End of the humanity” mindset at all. People I interact with generally have the same outlook as most people: ready to get back to life, use caution, hope you don’t get it or give it to a loved one. Similarly I don’t really encounter people that say “this was a scam or hoax” other than what I have read on this thread or Twitter- which for me is entertainment purposes only.

Well, he's fired.

No linked story on the tweet.

Well, he's fired.

It is mostly an accurate tweet depending on how you define “major increase”. I didn’t sift through every state but Georgia definitely had a spike (30%+ increase) in hospitalizations in mid May which has started to decline and is close to the pre-spike number.

Sorry I don’t know how to post a pic but here is the link

You can change the state to view trends for every state. Ohio had a small swell in deaths a week and a half ago to break the downward trend there but hospitalizations have been steadily declining. Memorial Day weekend in theory should cause a small bump next week in these numbers, and if it doesn’t it should be good basis for expanding mass gatherings with precautions IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    It is mostly an accurate tweet depending on how you define “major increase”. I didn’t sift through every state but Georgia definitely had a spike (30%+ increase) in hospitalizations in mid May which has started to decline and is close to the pre-spike number.

Sorry I don’t know how to post a pic but here is the link

You can change the state to view trends for every state. Ohio had a small swell in deaths a week and a half ago to break the downward trend there but hospitalizations have been steadily declining. Memorial Day weekend in theory should cause a small bump next week in these numbers, and if it doesn’t it should be good basis for expanding mass gatherings with precautions IMO.
    There’s a graph for Georgia in the link below that looks very different, and is quite encouraging. It does show a spike, followed by a serious decline. I don’t know if they are twisting the same numbers, if it’s just a different way to show the same thing, or it’s all just BS and I can’t trust anybody.......(probably that).

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report