Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    As long as x has at least 9 wins before the bet...I have no issue with playing wednesday, and I'm just going to go ahead and assume if x goes 9-9, they arent going to be 7th in the league.

I have an unexpected day off, so I decided to take a focused look at the D1 landscape as it pertains to post season. This is a very odd year from a parity standpoint across the board. I'm now concerned that a Wed. matchup vs DePaul could create a very nervous selection Sunday and I'll tell you why.

I'm not sure 9 wins gets us dancing. What if we lose to a 1-17 DU on Wednesday and weird things start happening in the other tournements...say UNC wins the ACC, Tennessee wins the SEC and the Huskies return to reality and take the PAC. Then some crap like Memphis rolls thru the AAC and SLU stuns the A10. None of this is that crazy and there's a lot more similar senarios. Suddenly we have some serious bid theft going on.

How about we just beat Nova on Saturday, dust GU, DU, BU and get to 10. Otherwise any slip up on a Wednesday at MSG could get interesting. Probably just over thinking this but this year screams some weirdness happening.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Man, that thing is fun to fool around with!!!
    That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    That's what she said.
    I should neg rep you for this.

I have an unexpected day off, so I decided to take a focused look at the D1 landscape as it pertains to post season. This is a very odd year from a parity standpoint across the board. I'm now concerned that a Wed. matchup vs DePaul could create a very nervous selection Sunday and I'll tell you why.

I'm not sure 9 wins gets us dancing. What if we lose to a 1-17 DU on Wednesday and weird things start happening in the other tournements...say UNC wins the ACC, Tennessee wins the SEC and the Huskies return to reality and take the PAC. Then some crap like Memphis rolls thru the AAC and SLU stuns the A10. None of this is that crazy and there's a lot more similar senarios. Suddenly we have some serious bid theft going on.

How about we just beat Nova on Saturday, dust GU, DU, BU and get to 10. Otherwise any slip up on a Wednesday at MSG could get interesting. Probably just over thinking this but this year screams some weirdness happening.
    No offense, but UNC winning the ACC this year is pretty crazy.

If you look at the other bubble teams, I think 9-9 in the regular season gets us in and probably comfortable enough that no realistic amount of bid stealers will knock us out. That is even more true with a win over Butler and or Nova. Bubble teams are losing all over the place.

If you look at bracketmatrix, we are the 3rd 9 currently with 11 At-Large teams behind us. Our resume is pretty favorable compared to most of these other teams. And just in general, the SH win is better than any of the wins others have and most others have at least 1 if not more Q3-4 losses.

Nothing is certain, but we are in a much better spot than a lot of people think.

I like Xavier Blue Kool Aid as much as anyone, so I am going with the magic 9 gets us in like everyone else. BUT, the reality is, our resume stinks. The Seton Hall win is ridiculously weighted in our favor. Otherwise there is nothing that keeps us in the conversation except conference strength and even there, who have we really beat? Of course take down Nova and the optics shift dramatically.

What really sucks is that 2OT loss to MU was the most devastating home L in recent memory. If we have to go NIT'n again, look no further.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 02-21-2020 at 04:50 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    You obviously haven't seen what other teams have done that are even more on the bubble than Xavier is.

Sure, Xavier doesn't have another win that is really as big as Seton Hall, but wins against Georgetown, Providence and even Cincinnati are getting progressively better. The only real stumble was at Wake - that's not as offensive as losses that teams like Cincinnati, Arkansas and Stanford have on their profiles at the moment.

I like Xavier Blue Kool Aid as much as anyone, so I am going with the magic 9 gets us in like everyone else. BUT, the reality is, our resume stinks. The Seton Hall win is ridiculously weighted in our favor. Otherwise there is nothing that keeps us in the conversation except conference strength and even there, who have we really beat? Of course take down Nova and the optics shift dramatically.

What really sucks is that 2OT loss to MU was the most devastating home L in recent memory. If we have to go NIT'n again, look no further.
    If you look at our resume, we have 9 combined Q1-2 wins with 8 of our 9 losses to teams currently in the tournament and ranked 36 or better in the NET. the Wake loss is comfortably a Q2 loss. And sure, the SH win is ridiculously weighted in our favor because it is vastly better than most of the bubble's best wins. I understand not thinking our resume is great, but is compares favorably to most teams in the conversation for 8-10 seeds.

Most brackets still have Georgetown and UC in the field...

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    our resume stinks.
    Welcome to every bubble team every year.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Lunarid's new bracket today still has UC in and not even in the Last 4 in category.

We arent even close to outside the tourney at this point.

Not to say we don't need to keep winning though, obviously we do, but if season ended today we are safely in.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17