Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The Big East is REALLY Good. Maybe Historically Good

So, a little bit of data about the Big East this year.

It's #1 in the NET

The RPI doesn't exist anymore, but if it did, the Big East would be #1 in that.

The league was 102-26 (if I counted right, which I probably didn't) for a winning percentage of 80% in OOC games.

Not only that, but the schedules everyone played were tough. Below are the number of OOC games each team played against teams that are either projected as being on the bubble or in the field by the majority of bracketologists. This is what REALLY built the strength of the conference, and I'd venture to say it's way more per average than any other power conference. That's why the Big East is ahead of them:

Seton Hall - 4 (2-2)
    Creighton - 5 (3-2)
    Nova - 4 (2-2)
    Marquette - 4 (2-2)
    Butler - 4 (3-1, arguably 5-1 if you want to count Minnesota and Ole Miss)
    Providence - 3 (1-2)
    Xavier - 2 (1-1)
    Georgetown - 5 (3-2)
    Johnnies - 3 (2-1)
    DePaul - 2 (2-0, not counting Minney)

The league has five teams in the top 25, and two more in position to make the NCAA Tournament. I can't think of the last time a conference had half it's teams in the Top 25 since the ACC had its classic 9 team format.

There was a year where the 16 team Big East got 11/16 into the NCAA Tournament, but as many as that is it's still a smaller percentage than 7/10 (which the league has done before and may do again), and while the overall OOC record was better the year they sent 11/16, I remember looking at it and they didn't play anywhere near the number of OOC games against other tournament teams that this year's Big East has played. There were 36 games against OOC teams that are either on the bubble or in the field. That's more than three PER TEAM on average!! I'd love to see the BE put seven teams into the tournament, and five into the Sweet Sixteen.

And...I hate to end on a down note, but....

When I stand back, and look at this, I can't help but ask myself....why change anything?? We're doing pretty good. You can't get more first than first, and the Big East is first. I have nothing against UConn. I just don't think they're going to make the league any better (I mean...how the hell can they?) And I really like the formula we have now with 18 games, 11-13 OOC games, and everyone playign between 3 and 4 bubble or better teams.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

On the last point, I hear you....but we're the Big East and this is UConn. There's no greater embodiment of Big East basketball than UConn. Not even Villanova is on that level. So for any other program I'd agree. But you can't pass up a chance to get UConn back into the fold.

And with DePaul it sucks for them that they play in the Big East. If they played in a lesser conference like the A10 of AAC and won say 8 or 9 league games, they would get in the tourney. They may have had one of the best non conference resumes in the country with the wins they had.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    So, a little bit of data about the Big East this year.

It's #1 in the NET

The RPI doesn't exist anymore, but if it did, the Big East would be #1 in that.

The league was 102-26 (if I counted right, which I probably didn't) for a winning percentage of 80% in OOC games.
    Actually, the final record after Nova beat Temple at Temple Sunday was 105-25 for 81%.

What UConn does is totally punk two of the biggest thorns in the League's, and Fox's, side= The AAC and ESPN.
    Having ESPN's home state team in the league forces the four letter network to finally recognize the league as the fully high major loop that it's been all along, and not the "Circus" it was called right after it was formed. It also gives Fox a highly recognized school in the New York area that brings eyeballs and pulls them away from ESPN. Also it kills the only NE presence for the AAC (Temple doesn't count in NY). Finally, it solidifies Madison Square Garden because it gives the league one more NY area school that draws well there. They could even schedule Big East Saturday Doubleheaders there with St. Johns & UConn playing separate games in the non-con. Remember the old "Holiday Festival"?
    UConn brings two more high quality games to the league schedule, one less buy game and one more guaranteed sellout. That is plus money.
    It's all good. Can't wait to punk them.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Actually, the final record after Nova beat Temple at Temple Sunday was 105-25 for 81%.

What UConn does is totally punk two of the biggest thorns in the League's, and Fox's, side= The AAC and ESPN.
    Having ESPN's home state team in the league forces the four letter network to finally recognize the league as the fully high major loop that it's been all along, and not the "Circus" it was called right after it was formed. It also gives Fox a highly recognized school in the New York area that brings eyeballs and pulls them away from ESPN. Also it kills the only NE presence for the AAC (Temple doesn't count in NY). Finally, it solidifies Madison Square Garden because it gives the league one more NY area school that draws well there. They could even schedule Big East Saturday Doubleheaders there with St. Johns & UConn playing separate games in the non-con. Remember the old "Holiday Festival"?
    UConn brings two more high quality games to the league schedule, one less buy game and one more guaranteed sellout. That is plus money.
    It's all good. Can't wait to punk them.
    I fail to see how the AAC and ESPN are thorns in anyone's side. Does anyone with the Big East who actually matters even think about the AAC? much less care about them? Much less care to the point to where they are a thorn in the side? They just got locked into a long term deal. It would be hard for them to have anything less to do with the Big East.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I fail to see how the AAC and ESPN are thorns in anyone's side. Does anyone with the Big East who actually matters even think about the AAC? much less care about them? Much less care to the point to where they are a thorn in the side? They just got locked into a long term deal. It would be hard for them to have anything less to do with the Big East.
    They are thorns in the side because A) The AAC with UConn draws NY attention away from the Big East. Now there will be no diversion. B) Fox LOVES being able to punk ESPN by stealing back one of the names that ESPN built their brand on, and, for a while, was keeping Fox from domination in the NY CBB TV market. C) The Garden being locked for the BE in removes any remaining thorn that some other league would try to steal it for a conference tourney. It's no coincidence that UConn was announced to the BE almost simultaneously with the Garden deal being extended.

f' UCONN

I still don't like that we let Butler in.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    f' UCONN

I still don't like that we let Butler in.
    UConn will be great to hate!

Does this open the door for the venereal disease school up north? I don’t want to expand past 11 unless we’re talking adding Gonzaga.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Does this open the door for the venereal disease school up north?
    No