Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Even if someone steps forward with proof that this was not the case, I am sticking to this story.
    Why does it bother you??

Look at it this way. Of the three schools that joined the previous Big East 7, Xavier was the only one that (at least as far as I know) did not have any direct affiliation or ties to the Big East. Creighton's president at the time was on Marquette's Board of Trustees, so to think that Creighton was not in touch with the other schools even years prior to the official announcement is almost impossible. Same with Butler. Their president (who is still there) came from Villanova. They hired him in 2011, which was right at the time that Pitt and Syracuse were leaving, and I think that one of the reasons he got the job was because they knew he could help get them into a new Big East type conference. Similar to Creighton, Butler had probably been in contact for years prior to the announcement. Even before they joined the A10 they were probably in communication. There's almost no way that they wouldn't have been.

Xavier, on the other hand, had no political help at all other than maybe being Jesuit, which probably didn't hurt, but a lot of Jesuit schools did not get in. It was all merit and brand. So, let's feel good about that and just stop caring about whether or not we were the first ones called, shall we!!?
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Actually, that’s not true.

Georgetown to Xavier was the first quiet call.
    Thanks Dash for setting me straight!!! That shows the esteem that we were held in.....and VD was not.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    ....that you know about.
    Actually Dash was on the Xavier Board at that time, so I'll trust him implicitly on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Actually Dash was on the Xavier Board at that time, so I'll trust him implicitly on that.
    ...and Creighton's president was on Marquette's board, and Butler's president came from Villanova. In the case of those two schools, joining the Big East would have been brought up just in the normal conducting of university business. Creighton literally had a Marquette board member running their university. They had political ties that would have opened up communication that Xavier didn't have.

And again, why does it even matter?? I actually think it's a much better narrative to say that we got in without any sort of political help.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-19-2020 at 10:10 AM.

...and Creighton's president was on Marquette's board, and Butler's president came from Villanova. In the case of those two schools, joining the Big East would have been brought up just in the normal conducting of university business. Creighton literally had a Marquette board member running their university. They had political ties that would have opened up communication that Xavier didn't have.

And again, why does it even matter?? I actually think it's a much better narrative to say that we got in without any sort of political help.
    Enjoy your narrative.
    Last edited by xudash; 02-19-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Enjoy your narrative.
    Thanks! You too!

Supporting Member
    Why does it bother you??

Look at it this way. Of the three schools that joined the previous Big East 7, Xavier was the only one that (at least as far as I know) did not have any direct affiliation or ties to the Big East. Creighton's president at the time was on Marquette's Board of Trustees, so to think that Creighton was not in touch with the other schools even years prior to the official announcement is almost impossible. Same with Butler. Their president (who is still there) came from Villanova. They hired him in 2011, which was right at the time that Pitt and Syracuse were leaving, and I think that one of the reasons he got the job was because they knew he could help get them into a new Big East type conference. Similar to Creighton, Butler had probably been in contact for years prior to the announcement. Even before they joined the A10 they were probably in communication. There's almost no way that they wouldn't have been.

Xavier, on the other hand, had no political help at all other than maybe being Jesuit, which probably didn't hurt, but a lot of Jesuit schools did not get in. It was all merit and brand. So, let's feel good about that and just stop caring about whether or not we were the first ones called, shall we!!?
    Well it doesnt matter, except that yours is based on what could have happened based on the "political" climate, dash's "narrative" is based on fact

Well, we all get told different things at different times by different people, I guess. I don't doubt at all that Georgetown's president reached out to Xavier. In fact, I'm rather certain that happened. I just that the other schools also had lines of communication and had been strategically using them even prior to the official December announcement that the seven schools were splitting off. But, obviously, I wasn't personally involved, so I won't say that I have complete certainty. But, whatever narrative makes you happy. We got in!

Well, we all get told different things at different times by different people, I guess. I don't doubt at all that Georgetown's president reached out to Xavier. In fact, I'm rather certain that happened. I just that the other schools also had lines of communication and had been strategically using them even prior to the official December announcement that the seven schools were splitting off. But, obviously, I wasn't personally involved, so I won't say that I have complete certainty. But, whatever narrative makes you happy. We got in!
    And it really doesn't make any difference, so it's all good with me Brew.
    Bottom line is that there was no way Butler and Creighton weren't getting in too.
    And it's turned out to be incredibly awesome for all schools. Fantastic for us little school on Victory Parkway!!

From arguing about being in the A10...to wondering whether we were the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick for the BE.

How times have changed.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.