Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pretender vs. Contender

Muskies show once again that they are kind of pretenders, not contenders as Georgetown wins today at Butler.
    Xavier might be fighting Georgetown and Providence for the last slot in the NCAA, even if they get to 20-11. Don't know the league will get 7 teams in. Even with its lofty ranking.

Sophomore
    I agree it will be 6 teams. We listen to Fox analysts who love all the Big East teams but it is a big country(not Reeves). It is scary that G Town beats Butler at Butler with Terrell Davis getting 20 and NO Yurtseven.OR McClung. May be a case of addition by subtraction as Blair, Moseley, Pickett(who have hurt us as far back the Bluett teams) had good games(they are a "core 3). St Johns mad Providence look slow..and don't forget we won with Dontarious James and Tandy leading the way against St Johns. So many variables, you can't just roll out the ball and expect to win as predicted. It is good for basketball but scary as a fan.

If Xavier is 20-11, they're going to be in the tournament. If you assume one of those wins is DePaul at home, that would give X 3 additional Quad 1 wins (as of today's rankings). 12 Q1/Q2 wins and 0 Q3/Q4 losses - that would get it done.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 02-15-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    Muskies show once again that they are kind of pretenders, not contenders as Georgetown wins today at Butler.
    Xavier might be fighting Georgetown and Providence for the last slot in the NCAA, even if they get to 20-11. Don't know the league will get 7 teams in. Even with its lofty ranking.
    You don’t get bids according to how many teams you take from each league. It’s what you do the entire year. Xavier goes 4-2 the rest of the way they are in. It’s that simple. You don’t punish teams for playing in a tough league. Plus someone has to fill all the spots. I mean put some of these teams on the bubble and put them in the Big East, they would have no chance. The thing that sucks for a team like DePaul is that if they were in say the American or A-10 they would be in. They had some great non conference wins. The Big East is a beast. Butler lost 1 game in the non conference by a point on the road to a team that will be a one seed.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Or look at teams like Stanford who's below .500 in a so-so Pac 12 and Arkansas who is now 4-8 in a so-so SEC. As long as Xavier holds serve in games they ought to win and steal one or two more, they'll be fine in terms of getting in.

I'd say there's a good chance Xavier can go 3-0 in their stretch of 3 games that includes games at St. John's and a 2-game homestand with Nova and DePaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    I don't agree - at least by using the Butler game. Butler's always a tough game. They are gunning for every time we play them. It would stand to reason they'd be up for us much more than for Georgetown. It was a classic trap game for Butler - coming off an emotional win against us and having a trip to Seton Hall coming up.

We'll see what happens tomorrow night.

Tyrique Jones and his teammates are not pretenders. That is all.
    six foot four & a soph-O-more...

Quote Originally Posted by JAPER View Post
    Tyrique Jones is absolutely not a pretender and his teammates... the jury is still out. That is all.
    Fixed it for you!

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    The whole premise of this thread is ridiculous.

So Xavier shows they are pretenders yesterday on a day they didnt even play? Sweet.

And if they get to 20 wins lock them in. Have you seen teams on the bubble? We have our warts for sure but that win at Seton Hall is going to go a long way on putting us on the right side of the bubble when being compared to other teams as long as we dont shit the bed down the stretch.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

X is still in good shape.
    8-11 and zero bad losses has X sitting on the right side of the bubble. Here is to a solid roadkill Tomorrow.

Bracket matrix.com join the bandwagon