Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    It frustrates me that Carter misses so many easy looks...but he is getting them. I think his instincts are some of the best on the team. He plays off the ball pretty well, which is probably why he does get so many solid looks. He just can't finish, yet. It is mental, he has the opportunity and obviously did well with it at OU. Lately he has had a few drives that were surprising. He is poised to have that late season bump (like bernard).
    Carter is getting "looks" because the opposition feels like they can play off of him. He's shooting 23% from 3 and only 38% on all shots. He's not a freshman, but has never played at this level before. I can't even find that he ever had a star ranking coming from such a small high school. The guy had 10 close to the basket touches against Butler- fumbled one away, had 2 shots blocked and missed 5 out of 7 actual shots. That is blatantly unacceptable for a major college starter. Glad he has all those practice points.
    By the way, and I love Paul Scruggs, I really do, but he had a bad game vs Butler- part of which was due to an awful 2nd foul call by ClougHACKery. But remember the statement "You Play based upon how you Practice?" Welp. Paul had the Gold Jersey before the Butler game, so that worked out well.
    Plus, based upon the list I've seen, Tu Holloway only won the Gold Jersey once. I think he played pretty well.
    Look, I'm all for making sure guys practice hard and efficiently, but this seeming overemphasis on "guys play based upon their practice performance" just keeps rubbing me the wrong way. If a guy is inattentive in practice, can't grog a defensive concept, or is just lazing through it, oh yeah, he ain't playing much, but for some guys to continually be granted starting game spots, when they continually don't produce when it counts is just wrong.
    I keep saying it. Some people are great when there's no heat, but shrink when the lights come on. Some people live for the spotlight and make sure they are prepared for it. I want players, not posers.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Carter is getting "looks" because the opposition feels like they can play off of him. He's shooting 23% from 3 and only 38% on all shots. He's not a freshman, but has never played at this level before. I can't even find that he ever had a star ranking coming from such a small high school. The guy had 10 close to the basket touches against Butler- fumbled one away, had 2 shots blocked and missed 5 out of 7 actual shots. That is blatantly unacceptable for a major college starter. Glad he has all those practice points.
    By the way, and I love Paul Scruggs, I really do, but he had a bad game vs Butler- part of which was due to an awful 2nd foul call by ClougHACKery. But remember the statement "You Play based upon how you Practice?" Welp. Paul had the Gold Jersey before the Butler game, so that worked out well.
    Plus, based upon the list I've seen, Tu Holloway only won the Gold Jersey once. I think he played pretty well.
    Look, I'm all for making sure guys practice hard and efficiently, but this seeming overemphasis on "guys play based upon their practice performance" just keeps rubbing me the wrong way. If a guy is inattentive in practice, can't grog a defensive concept, or is just lazing through it, oh yeah, he ain't playing much, but for some guys to continually be granted starting game spots, when they continually don't produce when it counts is just wrong.
    I keep saying it. Some people are great when there's no heat, but shrink when the lights come on. Some people live for the spotlight and make sure they are prepared for it. I want players, not posers.
    The gold jersey thing is something that they have been doing for years. Chris Mack does it at Louisville. Jason Carter didn’t play the last 10 minutes and they still lost. I feel Moore should have been in as he can play defense and at least be a threat from 3. Either way they played well enough on defense to win but didn’t get enough baskets to fall and got a really tough whistle. Some BS whistle shit. Some of the mistakes can happen on the road, but the game plan was good. They held McDermott and Baldwin in check.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    The gold jersey thing is something that they have been doing for years. Chris Mack does it at Louisville. Jason Carter didn’t play the last 10 minutes and they still lost. I feel Moore should have been in as he can play defense and at least be a threat from 3. Either way they played well enough on defense to win but didn’t get enough baskets to fall and got a really tough whistle. Some BS whistle shit. Some of the mistakes can happen on the road, but the game plan was good. They held McDermott and Baldwin in check.
    And louisville fans are just as annoyed because he isnt playing the best 5 in the starting lineup either.

I dont give a crap how great carter is at practice, he mostly been terrible this year in games which are the things that actually.matter. carter may be great next year, as other transfers have sometimes taken a year to get acclimated. However, right now, he doesnt deserve the game time he gets, and definitely not a starting position. Just like q (which took almost two years of him being awful for Steele to make the change), it's time for carter to go to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    And louisville fans are just as annoyed because he isnt playing the best 5 in the starting lineup either.

I dont give a crap how great carter is at practice, he mostly been terrible this year in games which are the things that actually.matter. carter may be great next year, as other transfers have sometimes taken a year to get acclimated. However, right now, he doesnt deserve the game time he gets, and definitely not a starting position. Just like q (which took almost two years of him being awful for Steele to make the change), it's time for carter to go to the bench.
    I don’t disagree. However we have seen guys turn it on late like Malcolm Bernard, who was very mediocre until late in his grad transfer year. If Carter starts converting, people will love him. He’s averaging 6 points 5 rebounds, and is not bad defensively, so he can bring value, but maybe that is coming off the bench. I just don’t know what you give up defensively if you do that. Worth a shot I guess. You take him out completely, you basically have 6 guys. Maybe it’s best if he does come off the bench because right now the only guys coming off the bench are guards. Maybe bringing a big off the bench would be good.

I don’t disagree. However we have seen guys turn it on late like Malcolm Bernard, who was very mediocre until late in his grad transfer year. If Carter starts converting, people will love him. He’s averaging 6 points 5 rebounds, and is not bad defensively, so he can bring value, but maybe that is coming off the bench. I just don’t know what you give up defensively if you do that. Worth a shot I guess. You take him out completely, you basically have 6 guys. Maybe it’s best if he does come off the bench because right now the only guys coming off the bench are guards. Maybe bringing a big off the bench would be good.
    Xavier was down by 17 points with about 15 minutes to go in the 2nd half when Carter went out...never to return. X lost by 5. Carter also had the 2nd worst defensive efficiency rating of any Xavier player vs Butler. Second only to Naji- who zoned out vs McDermott at least twice. At least Naji gives offense to offset his bad D Wednesday night. Carter gives you blown bunnies.
    Look, it’s not ALL on Carter but right now he’s a big hole on 2 ends. I’m usually not this against a player, and I’m not against the guy..I just don’t think he should be starting or finishing a game. Dude is less than mediocre in games.

Xavier was down by 17 points with about 15 minutes to go in the 2nd half when Carter went out...never to return. X lost by 5. Carter also had the 2nd worst defensive efficiency rating of any Xavier player vs Butler. Second only to Naji- who zoned out vs McDermott at least twice. At least Naji gives offense to offset his bad D Wednesday night. Carter gives you blown bunnies.
    Look, it’s not ALL on Carter but right now he’s a big hole on 2 ends. I’m usually not this against a player, and I’m not against the guy..I just don’t think he should be starting or finishing a game. Dude is less than mediocre in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Naji was bad on defense? Maybe metrics but the guy guarded two guys that were basically shut down from their averages. He guarded either Baldwin or McDermott and those guys were pretty much held in check. Maybe I missed it but MCDermott was 33% on 3’s and Baldwin was 27% overall and 25% on 3’s. I will take that every time out against those guys.

Sophomore
    Naji was bad on defense? Maybe metrics but the guy guarded two guys that were basically shut down from their averages. He guarded either Baldwin or McDermott and those guys were pretty much held in check. Maybe I missed it but MCDermott was 33% on 3’s and Baldwin was 27% overall and 25% on 3’s. I will take that every time out against those guys.
    he did zone out a few times on mcdermott and he hit some big 3's

Nah he wasn't bad, he just wasn't perfect. But he also went for 20/7/7 and is still taking heat so it's just how people talk about Naji (even though this team would be absolutely horrible without him).

Carter got blitzed by Thompson a few times during Butler's run to open up the big lead in the second half, which was inexcusable.

People railing against the gold jersey is pretty weird. A ton of programs do something similar. Let's not act like when Steele is making crunch time lineup decisions he's checking the practice points standings.