Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB Mulling Changes to Playoffs

Link

MLB is considering a move in which each league would have three division winners and four wild-card teams making the postseason starting in 2022, sources said. The best team in the league would receive a bye into the division series. The two remaining division winners and the wild-card team with the best record of the four would each host all games of a best-of-three series in the opening round.

Once the teams clinch and the regular season ends, the plan gets congested:

• The division winner with the second-best record would select its wild-card opponent from the three wild-card winners not hosting a series.
    • The division winner with the worst record would then choose its opponent from the remaining two wild-card teams.
    • The final matchup would pit the wild-card winner with the best record against the wild-card team not yet chosen.

All of the selections, sources said, would be unveiled live on television the Sunday night of the final regular-season games.

"He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Supporting Member
    Manfred may be the worst commissioner in professional sports and that's really saying something. Let's water down an already watered down playoff structure and make baseball's ridiculously long regular reason mean even less.

Let's just give everyone a participation trophy and orange slice and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Manfred may be the worst commissioner in professional sports and that's really saying something. Let's water down an already watered down playoff structure and make baseball's ridiculously long regular reason mean even less.

Let's just give everyone a participation trophy and orange slice and call it a day.
    You forgot to hand out the orange slices on a 30 minute television program made for ESPN.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior

Is it watered down? Feel like of the major sports the lowest % of teams that make playoffs is baseball.

There would be competition for the team getting the bye, the three teams getting home-field and the three other teams who make the playoffs in each league. I wouldn't call that meaningless. More teams playing for playoff spots and better playoff spots after they clinch is better. Getting rid of the 1 game wild card is better. But I'm just trying to justify my position. In reality, anything Trevor Bauer doesn't like, I do.
    No, I be concubining.

How about a full on October madness?

All 30 teams make the playoffs, single elimination!

With the extra playoff games, the World Series might not end until Thanksgiving. That’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

He's about to dethrone Gary Bettman. FIRE MANFRED!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I like they are considering making changes, but I don't like the "pick your opponent" aspect of this plan. It is gimmicky and I think it is a dumb idea.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

A friend of mine who works in baseball once told me that one-third of the fans are diehards who care only about the baseball. The other two-thirds may like baseball, but they need something beyond just the baseball to keep them entertained.

If true, then this appears to be catering to the two-thirds at the expense of the one-third.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White