Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Since the tournament went to 64 teams, Dayton has been in the top half of the bracket a grand total of three times, two of which were in Archie's last two years where they lost in the Round of 64 both times. They've been to the Round of 32 four times, and the Elite Eight once. It's not exactly a rich history. But, strangely enough it's been tons better since Xavier left the Atlantic Ten.
    Long time X fan. But Dayton went to NCAA Finals in 1967 losing to UCLA who won their 1st of 7 straight titles. Also to Elite 8 in 84 & 2014. 7 Sweet 16s. At 68 yrs old I don't understand the Dayton, UC, Butler dislike (hate). These are all lesser schools historically in terms of NCAA success - compared to the schools I dislike, Ohio St, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas & NC. I grew up watching UC & Dayton on local TV & relished the rare XU TV game. Wish we v played Dayton, Miami & NKU yearly. As schools get more successful they shit on those other local/ rivalry schools because they are suddenly snobbishly too good to play other local/ rival schools. We have become what disgusts me about the Blue Bloods I mentioned. Long live David, goodbye Goliath

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    Long time X fan. But Dayton went to NCAA Finals in 1967 losing to UCLA who won their 1st of 7 straight titles.
    You missed the part of 'brew's post about the tournament going to 64 teams. That happened in 1985.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Long time X fan. But Dayton went to NCAA Finals in 1967 losing to UCLA who won their 1st of 7 straight titles. Also to Elite 8 in 84 & 2014. 7 Sweet 16s. At 68 yrs old I don't understand the Dayton, UC, Butler dislike (hate). These are all lesser schools historically in terms of NCAA success - compared to the schools I dislike, Ohio St, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas & NC. I grew up watching UC & Dayton on local TV & relished the rare XU TV game. Wish we v played Dayton, Miami & NKU yearly. As schools get more successful they shit on those other local/ rivalry schools because they are suddenly snobbishly too good to play other local/ rival schools. We have become what disgusts me about the Blue Bloods I mentioned. Long live David, goodbye Goliath
    Honestly, this is a misinformed takeaway.

Kansas and North Carolina have always played tough schedules and, in the case of North Carolina, WILL go on the road to play in-state schools like Elon and UNC-Wilmington. Usually it's either a way for Roy Williams to play someone in the Carolina family or to give their fanbase in other parts of the state to watch them play. Kansas, while they don't play Wichita State regularly for example, at least tries to make a bona fide effort to load up on noncon games outside of made-for-TV deals and exempt tournaments. You're not going to find very many Mississippi Valley States on their schedule.

As for Xavier not playing teams like Miami more often - have you seen the state of their program since Herb Sendek and Charlie Coles left town? They don't even give a damn anymore, and if you ever go to a game at Millett nowadays you could count the crowd and maybe (if you're lucky) get up to 1,000 in actual fans. Dayton also won't give them the time of day unless it's a buy game for them, nor should they.

NKU and Wright State are both deserving of buy games and an occasional 2-for-1 series, although I get a feeling that those schools won't schedule a team like Xavier because there's a fear that they'll get outdrawn in their own houses. And it's not like Xavier won't go on the road against under-the-radar conference teams - never forget the legendary #CornSword rivalry with Northern Iowa.

Since the tournament went to 64 teams, Dayton has been in the top half of the bracket a grand total of three times, two of which were in Archie's last two years where they lost in the Round of 64 both times. They've been to the Round of 32 four times, and the Elite Eight once. It's not exactly a rich history. But, strangely enough it's been tons better since Xavier left the Atlantic Ten.
    I don't know if I'd say tons, since we went to the Big East we've been in the Sweet 16 once, and Elite 8 once, with 2 more years of making it to the second game (damn you Wisconsin and damn you Florida State), not to mention a coaching change recently. I don't know if Dayton's history has been better, unless you mean Dayton's history has gotten better because we left the A-10, then that point I definitely agree with.

VD is the king of regular season championships. They have like 37 accomplishments in the last 25 years .I can’t stand that school. I hate their hillbilly fans, I hate their depressing city, I hate their shitty ass arena( it actually looks Nice since they rehab). When I was just a kid and VD had negale Knight, a stupid inbred VD fan turned around and ripped up my Xavier pom pom that they gave us at one of the home X games. Maybe he was just telling me a kid shouldn’t have pom Pom’s. Either way what a dick and that represents every fan of that shitty program. I can’t wait to see them lose to the first good team they play in the dance. F@ck Dayton
    Last edited by OTRMUSKIE; 02-19-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    As much as I enjoy beating UC, meeting them in a meaningful NCAA tournament game would be 2 hours of torture.

Thankfully, UC has sucked more than anyone else in the tournament the past 15 years.
    After watching UC’s last several games, I would very much like it if we played them in the NCAA Tournament.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I don't know if I'd say tons, since we went to the Big East we've been in the Sweet 16 once, and Elite 8 once, with 2 more years of making it to the second game (damn you Wisconsin and damn you Florida State), not to mention a coaching change recently. I don't know if Dayton's history has been better, unless you mean Dayton's history has gotten better because we left the A-10, then that point I definitely agree with.
    I was talking about Dayton. They’ve never been as good as they are now for this long of a stretch in the post 8 track era.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.

I appreciate how you've been a fan for a long time and that you're willing to put your opinions out there, but I was only referring to the modern (I guess) NCAA Tournament since it went to 64 teams and developed the selection process that's still very similar to what it is today. On top of that, I've said many times that I'd like it if we still played Dayton. In the A10 days, Dayton was oftentimes the only game that felt the way a conference game is supposed to feel. Although now I don't think it would be the same at all. People on this message board would go nuts, and some older alumni would go nuts, but almost no one that's graduated from either school in the last seven years would care all that much. At least not like it used to be.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-19-2020 at 08:25 PM.

UC hatred: It's UC, nuff said.
    Dayton: I was young and this is Muskie elder lore but I understand X helped them get into the MCC only to have them leave (and gloat about it) for the Great Midwest. Then, when that dissolved they leaned on X to get into the A10 and proceeded to be jerks about it (passed X as a program). The unfounded arrogance of the modern era make them hard to take.
    Butler: Clock started it but I suppose it could go back to the MCC even though Evansville was the big rival. But clock...That water fountain earned it. Also, frankly. Envy. The success of the Final 4 years still burn. BUTLER!!! (shakes fist).

After watching UC’s last several games, I would very much like it if we played them in the NCAA Tournament.
    Looks like UC will be in the NIT.