Thread: Penance

Penance

On February 3, 2004, as I was walking to the Cintas, I slipped on some black ice, fell, and tore(partially) a ligament in my ankle. The parking attendant ran over to me because he thought I had been shot (the sound was quite loud). He drove me to the front of the Cintas and I crawled out of the truck. My stepdad helped me in to the Cintas. I could barely stand at all so I sat almost all of the game. Which game? The Crosstown Shootout. The one that started THE RUN. After the game, my foot now splinted by the boot I was lucky enough to be wearing, XU police drove me back to my car and I drove home thanking God for both the incredible win and the fact that I no longer had a stick shift that my left leg would have a hard time engaging a clutch in.

I feel like that injury and my wherewithal to still go to the game instead of the hospital (which I did go to the next day) was the penance required for that Elite Eight run.

I will choose to believe that the pain of this and last season is the penance for the Final Four run in the next two seasons.

It keeps me going. Something has to. Let's go X!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Oh, I thought you were offering to tear another ligament to save this season!

Supporting Member
    So...who is going to tear one today as sacrifice?

What a run indeed....from 04 to 18 (15 seasons)

6 regular season titles
    2 conference tourney titles
    13 tourney appearances
    4 sweet 16s
    3 elite eights

Not bad for a small midwestern catholic school

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Oh, I thought you were offering to tear another ligament to save this season!
    If I thought that would work again, I might.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So...who is going to tear one today as sacrifice?

What a run indeed....from 04 to 18 (15 seasons)

6 regular season titles
    2 conference tourney titles
    13 tourney appearances
    4 sweet 16s
    3 elite eights

Not bad for a small midwestern catholic school
    I tore two ankle ligaments slipping on black ice the week before Christmas. I am finishing up therapy next week, and have been told I can stop wearing the ankle brace as well. If tearing ankle ligaments will work to get the Muskies off the snide this season, it is clearly a delayed reaction. But Lord knows I tried.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I tore two ankle ligaments slipping on black ice the week before Christmas. I am finishing up therapy next week, and have been told I can stop wearing the ankle brace as well. If tearing ankle ligaments will work to get the Muskies off the snide this season, it is clearly a delayed reaction. But Lord knows I tried.
    Damn! Those two torn ligaments are starting to pay off.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)