Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pace of Play

Sophomore

Pace of Play

There are stats for everything these day so there probably is one for this. It seems to be that we are playing too slow given our shooting. Q's effectiveness in the past has been by overpowering guards on controlled fast breaks, and I recall Tyrique following for offensive rebounds as much as he is effective in low post. Naj and Scruggs push it (so much that they seem gassed and we will not win with 2 players scoring an efficient 20 pos each) but Freemantle is far more effective in motion (blocked dunk not withstanding) and Carter could stand to run a little harder with James seeing more minutes as both would be tired. Even Moore and Tandy would get clearer looks from 3 as trailers. Just a thought but I am looking at a team walking it up as if the offensive was Chicago Bulls circa 1997 running the triangle. I know it would not help turnovers but may get more players in rotation. Am I missing something.

Xavier is right around 154th in tempo. If Xavier tried to speed it up, like you said, it would lead to more turnovers. Xavier is currently 190th in turnover rate, turning it over on 19.7% of possessions.

Lord knows I love some fast breaks, and up tempo after opponents basket/miss.
    But I'm OK with a slower process across half court.
    What I'm not OK with is the lack of movement on offense.
    Went to Wofford last night to remind myself that a good set of plays, run every time, is a thing of beauty (and success).
    As opposed to standing around, with maybe one pick (and no roll) waiting for someone to play hero ball 1 on 3.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

All-Conference
    I'm not sure what the offense is. I just know it hasn't been fluid in 2 years.

We don't seem to run many sets (if we do, you can't tell), and we don't seem to have connected movement. When we start to lose, it further falls apart.

Same story, different game. It's hard on the eyes.

I hope Steele took a long, hard look in the mirror last night.

Calling our offense, "offense" is an insult to all other offenses. Enough on that.

You know what is really frustrating is watching us play defense and the absolute lack of creating steals. We have to be one of the worst in the country. And for the life of me I can understand why? It looks like our goal is to "get back", get your man and keep him in front of you. And I get that......but we double up on no one. We don't anticipate and jump into passing lanes. We take zero risks defensively and put very little pressure on the ball. For a team that needs easy shots, this is mind blowing to me. Yeah, we will give up some easy baskets, and I get that. But the tempo and pace of play is awful and we should be doing something about getting this team some easier shots.

How many fast break layup point have we gotten the last two games? Very, very few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Calling our offense, "offense" is an insult to all other offenses. Enough on that.

You know what is really frustrating is watching us play defense and the absolute lack of creating steals. We have to be one of the worst in the country. And for the life of me I can understand why? It looks like our goal is to "get back", get your man and keep him in front of you. And I get that......but we double up on no one. We don't anticipate and jump into passing lanes. We take zero risks defensively and put very little pressure on the ball. For a team that needs easy shots, this is mind blowing to me. Yeah, we will give up some easy baskets, and I get that. But the tempo and pace of play is awful and we should be doing something about getting this team some easier shots.

How many fast break layup point have we gotten the last two games? Very, very few of them.
    The offense yesterday was very effective at creating lots of open shots. When nobody could make them they had to resort to one on one play be Naji and Paul to score. Also it's very difficult to up the tempo without a deeper bench. Naji was exhausted at the end of the game yesterday.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    The offense yesterday was very effective at creating lots of open shots.
    LOL - you can't be serious.

Those open shots were purposeful.

Sophomore
    I know we will have more turnovers and I know we will have to use a deeper bench. However we don't use James now(and can be effective) we don't use Moor now (and I have seen him effective) and if they just run the court, press, give some fouls or make some steals we are not as gassed. I like Carter a bit but he does not deserver 30+ min(and I think he would be more effective in mid 20s) with James getting 10 and Q has his problems for sure but maybe could be more effective in less minutes. I don't know..we don't force steals or fast break and Scruggs and Marshall have surpassed be with how effective they are one on one but it is not enough clearly. Letting them go one on one is fools gold...we can keep a respectable score but still have zero chance to sin
    Last edited by whopper; 01-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    What I'm not OK with is the lack of movement on offense.
    Went to Wofford last night to remind myself that a good set of plays, run every time, is a thing of beauty (and success).
    As opposed to standing around, with maybe one pick (and no roll) waiting for someone to play hero ball 1 on 3.
    Yup... I particularly love watching countless lazy, low percentage 3s being chucked up (by mediocre 3 pt shooters) when no teammates are even around the basket for a chance at an offensive board.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

I hear you... but to be fair to Scruggs and Jones... they both had nice steals by anticipating and jumping in between a pass.

In general though, to your point, we need to see much more of it.

I feel like we saw it much more at one point, but you are right and I posted a similar thought about this team needing to use their skills to gain an edge by pressing more and being scrappier on defense.