Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pace of Play

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    I know we will have more turnovers and I know we will have to use a deeper bench. However we don't use James now(and can be effective) we don't use Moor now (and I have seen him effective) and if they just run the court, press, give some fouls or make some steals we are not as gassed. I like Carter a bit but he does not deserver 30+ min(and I think he would be more effective in mid 20s) with James getting 10 and Q has his problems for sure but maybe could be more effective in less minutes. I don't know..we don't force steals or fast break and Scruggs and Marshall have surpassed be with how effective they are one on one but it is not enough clearly. Letting them go one on one is fools gold...we can keep a respectable score but still have zero chance to sin
    Good post!

Junior
    What the hell does this team practice,pregame introductions? It sure isn't offense. Why not press, play nine guys to keep people fresh, and turn def into offense. It can't be any worse than the shitshow we're watch now.
    Last edited by JTG; 01-12-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    The offense yesterday was very effective at creating lots of open shots. When nobody could make them they had to resort to one on one play be Naji and Paul to score. Also it's very difficult to up the tempo without a deeper bench. Naji was exhausted at the end of the game yesterday.
    The open shots were by design because the defense knew we couldn't hit them. They dared us to shoot and we took the bait, hook, line and sinker.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    The open shots were by design because the defense knew we couldn't hit them. They dared us to shoot and we took the bait, hook, line and sinker.
    Yup, I noted the same during the game.
    What I'm trying to figure out is if, similar to last year, suddenly the team clicks and we go on a run. Of course we can't lose six straight, but is this team as ugly as it looked yesterday? Or do we use the darkest before the dawn metaphor? Steele gave Q in particular too much head with his threes. Of course there was token pressure, but it was clear Creighton was all about stopping Scruggs and Marshall. And it was clearly an effective strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Yes we did... and what’s worse... we decided we’d have our worst shooter chuck up most of those 3s:

Goodin shoots 26.2% form 3... took 6
    Carter shoots 31.3% from 3... took 6
    Moore shoots 29.8% from 3... took 5
    Marshall shoots 28.4% from 3... took 4

Tandy shoots 36.4% from 3 ... took 3
    Scruggs shoots 37.7% From .... took 1

So our two best 3 point shooters shot only 4 3s between the two of them (and made 50%), while the 4 much weaker 3 point shooters took 21 of them (and made a whopping 14% ).

And Steele doesn’t even mention this after the game as being an issue other than casually laughing that he mentioned to Q that he might want to drive a little more.

By not getting serious about finding a way to get your best 3 point shooters the most open looks, Travis is seriously handicapping this team.

What is it going to take for the light to go on that a “good look” from 3 really means the best shooters are taking those shots.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-13-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Calling our offense, "offense" is an insult to all other offenses. Enough on that.

You know what is really frustrating is watching us play defense and the absolute lack of creating steals. We have to be one of the worst in the country. And for the life of me I can understand why? It looks like our goal is to "get back", get your man and keep him in front of you. And I get that......but we double up on no one. We don't anticipate and jump into passing lanes. We take zero risks defensively and put very little pressure on the ball. For a team that needs easy shots, this is mind blowing to me. Yeah, we will give up some easy baskets, and I get that. But the tempo and pace of play is awful and we should be doing something about getting this team some easier shots.

How many fast break layup point have we gotten the last two games? Very, very few of them.
    Just looked it up. Tied for 183rd in the country in steals at 6.5 per game, so very average at best. It might be due to the fact that we are a Jesuit university and our kids have always been taught "Thall shall not steal" or it might be the pack line defense. On the plus side, we are 29th in three point defense at 28.9%.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    And Steele doesn’t even mention this after the game as being an issue other than casually laughing that he mentioned to Q that he might want to drive a little more.

By not getting serious about finding a way to get your best 3 point shooters the most open looks, Travis is seriously handicapping this team.

What is it going to take for the light to go on that a “good look” from 3 really means the best shooters are taking those shots.
    Steele did bench Goodin for most of the second half.

Junior
    Steele is married to an heiress, I wonder if he even worries about his job.

Quote Originally Posted by xcellentx View Post
    Steele did bench Goodin for most of the second half.
    When asked about benching Q, Steele said it was only because of his poor defense- not his shooting or anything on the offense end.

Sophomore
    Our best performances last year came when we slowed the pace down to glacial levels. i'm not sure why we decided to go away from that this year, even though we largely rely on the same personnel.