Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 46 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xcellentx View Post
    I've seen this complaint in other places and it is just a pointless argument. Every single starter for Xavier should go to the draft and get information from the NBA. Letting players go through the draft process and then come back to school is one of only good things the NCAA has done in a long time. Their egos were so big that they all decided to come back to school.
    You can only do that once without declaring right? Thats why everyone assumes Scruggs and Marshal will leave after the year- they tested nba waters once- if they do it again they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    You can only do that once without declaring right? Thats why everyone assumes Scruggs and Marshal will leave after the year- they tested nba waters once- if they do it again they are gone.
    Nope - this was changed a few years back, you can enter and withdraw multiple times without signing an agent.

They should be allowed to sign with an agent too and be able to come back. Let these kids make money while they are in college. It’s going to Happen eventually. If Paul Scruggs signs with an agent test the waters but realizes coming back to school would be beneficial then we should allow it. What would be the downside to that?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    They should be allowed to sign with an agent too and be able to come back. Let these kids make money while they are in college. It’s going to Happen eventually. If Paul Scruggs signs with an agent test the waters but realizes coming back to school would be beneficial then we should allow it. What would be the downside to that?
    They have changed the rule to allow them to sign with a certified agent and still come back to school, although I am not sure what all goes into that. You can also test the waters multiple times which means players should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xcellentx View Post
    I've seen this complaint in other places and it is just a pointless argument. Every single starter for Xavier should go to the draft and get information from the NBA. Letting players go through the draft process and then come back to school is one of only good things the NCAA has done in a long time. Their egos were so big that they all decided to come back to school.
    2 of those guys are never sniffing the league. 2 wind up in the G League. The time would be better spent working on the skills they lack to help their team. Things their coach should be able to tell them what to work on.

You can tell by the way this team plays it's about egos and not the team. I don't watch a game and say there's our clear leader. Q's ego won't let him pass up three's that he can't make. There's times when Naji and Paul just decide that they are going to take the shot no matter how ill-advised the shot is.

I've watched a lot of Big East basketball this year and they are the clearly at the bottom with SJU. They were lucky to get away with a W there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    2 of those guys are never sniffing the league. 2 wind up in the G League. The time would be better spent working on the skills they lack to help their team. Things their coach should be able to tell them what to work on.

You can tell by the way this team plays it's about egos and not the team. I don't watch a game and say there's our clear leader. Q's ego won't let him pass up three's that he can't make. There's times when Naji and Paul just decide that they are going to take the shot no matter how ill-advised the shot is.

I've watched a lot of Big East basketball this year and they are the clearly at the bottom with SJU. They were lucky to get away with a W there.
    Yeah, Xavier should definitely discourage guys from pursuing the NBA, especially in an era where the rules have been softened to allow more guys to get feedback on their game from actual NBA personnel. Great recruiting pitch.

Literally any coaching staff in America supports guys like Xavier's core four going through the NBA process. Also don't discount the benefit of guys hearing what they need to work on from third parties, especially third parties with NBA affiliations.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Yeah, Xavier should definitely discourage guys from pursuing the NBA, especially in an era where the rules have been softened to allow more guys to get feedback on their game from actual NBA personnel. Great recruiting pitch.

Literally any coaching staff in America supports guys like Xavier's core four going through the NBA process. Also don't discount the benefit of guys hearing what they need to work on from third parties, especially third parties with NBA affiliations.
    I would question what feedback any of these guys received, because it hasn't helped them one bit. Did they tell Q he needs to improve his 3 point shooting so he can now shoot us out of every game in order to prove he belongs in the league? Now you have outsiders in a kid's ear telling he needs to do this and do that and now it hurts his actual team because.

What can you tell Tyrique? A 6'8 center who can't score outside the paint in a league that has eliminated true post players. He will never have the skill set to play in the NBA.

It's fine to test the waters, but know who you are as a player and if it's realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post

Agreed. Even if they will never get a shot at the NBA, getting feedback from another source is good.

Ego might be an issue on this team, but testing the waters isn't an ego issue. Every coach should be telling their players to do that.

I would question what feedback any of these guys received, because it hasn't helped them one bit. Did they tell Q he needs to improve his 3 point shooting so he can now shoot us out of every game in order to prove he belongs in the league? Now you have outsiders in a kid's ear telling he needs to do this and do that and now it hurts his actual team because.

What can you tell Tyrique? A 6'8 center who can't score outside the paint in a league that has eliminated true post players. He will never have the skill set to play in the NBA.

It's fine to test the waters, but know who you are as a player and if it's realistic.
    I don't disagree with your assessment of their skill sets, just that it's not really a concern/indictment that these guys tested the waters. I mean we're talking about a few weeks when the team isn't allowed to practice together anyway.

Junior

Completely agree- What is the point of trying to improve your skill set in a way that gives you the best chance at reaching your dreams. DUMB