View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 35 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    There are now a lot of Xavier fans that have never gone to Xavier. They don't necessarily relate to the school aspect of fandom. Kinda like most UK fans have never gone to UK. Same with Duke. It's OK to just be a Xavier basketball fan.
    It’s awesome we have so many regional fans now from all walks of life. Heck it’s nice that people call us eggs trying to get under our skin vs just not knowing.

However, still can’t go somewhere and see someone with X gear only to ask them, “did you go to X?” Old habits are hard to break when the majority of fans were grads and students.

What? I can’t express my OPINIONS now? Cause they don’t agree with somebody else’s? If you don’t like them, don’t read them. No sweat off my brow. Personally I find all of the “demands” and “won’t except” and all the rest of the whining, tiring and annoying too. But I’m not “demanding” that anyone stop it. I’m not saying that I’m going to “F’in lose it” if it doesn’t stop. I’m not demanding that people come over to my way of thinking. Do what you want. I’m not telling anybody that they have to do anything. I’m certainly not telling anyone how to be a “fan”. I just think that some of the statements that some of the people have made here are BS. I find them distasteful and beneath what I think that Xavier stands for. If that bothers some of you, so be it. If you think that’s being preachy, so be be it. It’s what I see as the truth. I don’t really expect anyone to change their behavior just because I don’t like it. but if I just sit by and don’t call it out, then it’s just like I agree with it. It’s almost as bad as if I had said it. So when I see it, I’m going to express my disagreement, and then explain why I disagree. I’ve tried to be respectful and to not get personal. I don’t think that I’ve attacked anyone’s right to say anything, or anything about them personally. If I have, or if someone thinks that something I’ve written has done either of those things, I apologize. It’s not been my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Butler will no longer be in the top 5 as they have now lost two straight and could have three if they didn't get lucky at St. John's. Ohio State and that awesome coach Holtmann is now 2-5 in the Big 10. I bet Butler ends up with 7 Big East losses and Ohio State will have at least 10 Big 10 losses.
    They're both in the Top 25 even with those losses. Xavier is 68th in the NET right now and dropping. You must be clairvoyant to be able to know now that Butler will lose 7 and Ohio State 10. Pray tell, what Ford Motor Company stock will be on March 15.

Tell me who is in better shape between X, Butler and Ohio State?
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-19-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Miller definitely had a medical condition, which, although never disclosed, I believe was mental health issues. He took a medical leave of absence a few weeks before the season started, and never returned. Do you really think Butler forced him out a few weeks before the season started because they wanted Holtman as the head coach, and then made up this medical issue?
    Again. Collier had a backup plan that he had crafted even before Miller had coached a game with Holtmann. Collier obviously had suspicions. Waiting until October to change coaches is odd at best, but the back up plan was put into place rapidly.
    There is zero backup plan for Steele, at least none that we can decipher. Butler minimized their Brand damage. Xavier risks horrible brand damage if this iish isn't turned around. Christopher has gone all chips in on Steele as the in house hire and the process did happen fast. Greg had better be right.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I hear that Freemantle shoots until he makes 200 3 pointers every morning a 7. I heard that Tandy was shooting in the gym at 3:30 in the morning after returning from a road trip. I am pretty sure that 99% of the people here really have no idea what the schedule for these student-athletes is and what they sacrifice to be a member of the team. I’d be willing to bet that Travis and the other coaches are putting in some all-nighters after games and haven’t seen much of their families the last couple of months.
    No one has said that the players aren't working hard. The question is whether these hard working players are being put in the best position to succeed via scheme and strategy. Kyky can spend 4 hours shooting 3's to get better, but if the scheme doesn't free him up to take good threes, he won't succeed. How many multiple screens ala Marquette for Howard, have you seen Xavier run this year? How many Creighton type pick that they run for Ballock have you seen Xavier run? How many Pick and Rolls for Freemantle have you seen? How many Pick and Pops for Zach have you seen?
    Bottom line. These players are better than what we've seen, but they are not being given the wherewithal to be better. There was absolutley zero change in the offensive sets vs Marquette vs what was for Creighton, for Seton Hall, vs, etc, etc, etc.
    Our defense is being shredded now, but all we've heard from Steele is a veiled slap at the players for "tying their defense to their offense". Welp Coach. You've schemed both of them, and they both suck. You have said that your practices going into both the Creighton and Marquette games were "GREAT", but your game performance was awful, so a what the hell are you practicing? What is your plan to be better? What are you going to do about putting these guys in better spots?
    Pulling all nighters when your team isn't performing isn't noble, any more than pulling an all nighter for a final exam is when you're a student that have not prepared properly earlier. It's a job that you are paid very handsomely for and one where the scoreboard counts. Wins count. Losses get you fired. That's the cold hard fact.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-19-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Man we need to play a game ASAP......AND win or lose, look like we have made some adjustments and are making some progress.

I fear what this board will look like if we don't and continue down the same path we've see so far this year.
    This, I mean there was a week of practice, a weekend off couldn't have come at a better time, things need to look better to the eye test against Georgetown, but man, we are reeling bad right now. I'm hoping they just come out pissed off, and play a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I honestly think Travis is clueless tactically. Good recruiters don't always translate into good coaches. He needs a veteran coach on his bench.
    BINGO! Some guys just don't have the chops when it comes to coaching. There is some elite-level X and O guys in the Big East. They hire a great staff and they are able to get kids that fit their system.

Steele is an amazing recruiter but that is all he is bringing to the table that I have seen so far.

Really hope I am wrong but Steele's tenure at X sure feels like it is going to resemble his brothers at Illinois and being a huge Illini fan I really hope that is not the case here at X.

If Steele does get fired after this season, these are some candidates that I would consider: Shaka Smart, Kevin Keatts, Brian Dutcher, Ron Hunter, and Steve Prohm

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    No one has said that the players aren't working hard. The question is whether these hard working players are being put in the best position to succeed via scheme and strategy. Kyky can spend 4 hours shooting 3's to get better, but if the scheme doesn't free him up to take good threes, he won't succeed. How many multiple screens ala Marquette for Howard, have you seen Xavier run this year? How many Creighton type pick that they run for Ballock have you seen Xavier run? How many Pick and Rolls for Freemantle have you seen? How many Pick and Pops for Zach have you seen?
    Bottom line. These players are better than what we've seen, but they are not being given the wherewithal to be better. There was absolutley zero change in the offensive sets vs Marquette vs what was for Creighton, for Seton Hall, vs, etc, etc, etc.
    Our defense is being shredded now, but all we've heard from Steele is a veiled slap at the players for "tying their defense to their offense". Welp Coach. You've schemed both of them, and they both suck. You have said that your practices going into both the Creighton and Marquette games were "GREAT", but your game performance was awful, so a what the hell are you practicing? What is your plan to be better? What are you going to do about putting these guys in better spots?
    Pulling all nighters when your team isn't performing isn't noble, any more than pulling an all nighter for a final exam is when you're a student that have not prepared properly earlier. It's a job that you are paid very handsomely for and one where the scoreboard counts. Wins count. Losses get you fired. That's the cold hard fact.
    Anyone who has followed this Message Board knows MOR is a passionate Xavier Fan. He also is not lacking in his knowledge of the game while not professing to be ready to coach the Celtics. My point is he is a more than qualified Fan entitled to question the correlation between the teams recent performance and Coach Steele ‘s capacities. Any one who watched/followed this weekends Big East Games knows this is a formidable conference and there are no easy games. This team , collectively, is not super talented but is playing at or beneath anyone’s expected nadir. When that happens, you have to drill down on coaching . If you assume they are being well coached, either they are out to sabotage the season or they are totally lacking in basketball IQ, situational awareness, or don’t care to win. Take your choice.

All-Conference
    There are plenty of well informed posters here that have been preaching the same refrain as MOR.

It's pretty obvious what the problems are, even if some choose to ignore them and question said posters fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by XU22 View Post
    BINGO! Some guys just don't have the chops when it comes to coaching. There is some elite-level X and O guys in the Big East. They hire a great staff and they are able to get kids that fit their system.

Steele is an amazing recruiter but that is all he is bringing to the table that I have seen so far.

Really hope I am wrong but Steele's tenure at X sure feels like it is going to resemble his brothers at Illinois and being a huge Illini fan I really hope that is not the case here at X.

If Steele does get fired after this season, these are some candidates that I would consider: Shaka Smart, Kevin Keatts, Brian Dutcher, Ron Hunter, and Steve Prohm
    Truly an incredible list.