Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 816

Thread: Fire travis

  1. #311
    Supporting Member UCGRAD4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehoya View Post
    I’m sick of hearing the “Xavier fans are just spoiled” line. Duke fans are spoiled, North Carolina and Kentucky
    fans are spoiled, Xavier is Xavier. Until we reach a final four, and win a national championship we are anything but spoiled. I don’t care about how far X has come from the past, I care about the future! I want Xavier to be a version of Villanova, consistently competing for the largest prize in the sport. If we aren’t going to do that, then what is it really all about. I don’t want Travis fired just yet, but if we as alumni and fans should be okay with losing because we got a 1 seed once, then I call bs.
    I'm with you. We should expect consistent excellence, that is what we have steadily built for decades - better and more consistent as time goes by. Why all of the sudden we accept 3 years of mediocrity (as has been suggested) without expressing concern and discussing possible reasons, problems and solutions. The answers we have are mostly speculative and without a great deal of direct knowledge (very little on my part). If we love this team, we will back them win or lose, but we would rather they win and expect them to. It is exactly because of the passion for this team that drives our intense need for answers to our disappointment.

    We should and need to expect excellence. We want to keep building the program to conference championships and FFs and eventually a NC. An occasional backslide is not unexpected but not for multiple years. We've come too far to accept mediocrity. And we don't need to apologize for it.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 01-18-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    “Tequila is not even a drink; it’s a way for having the cops around without using a phone.” – Dylan Moran

  2. #312
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,935
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    You would have wanted to fire Butlers coach last year, they were not good and had a losing record. The year before they were a mediocre 21-14 and 9-9 in conference. We will see how they end up this year but next year they will take a hit after they lose their two best players and not a ton coming back or in. Baldwin will be very hard for them to replace.
    Who's doing better with his returning players? One guess.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  3. #313
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Oh, yeah, there's a point. You obviously are too thick headed to see the point.
    Barry Collier hired a young, unproven coach. He had a backup plan in place, QUICKLY in case it didn't work. His backup plan was somehow being able to convince a up and coming HEAD COACH at a lesser program to come to Butler as an Assistant. Miller was removed after one year because of Collier's backup plan and his performance. As opposed to you're inaccurate statement of The Butler decline was very much back on- post Holtmann until all of a sudden it wasn't, Butler went 23-11 in Holtmann's first year as HC, so what does that comment even mean? Holtmann then went 22-11 and 25-9 before he was hired away by Ohio State. That's some, errrrrrr, cycle? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah. I guess it was a one year and done cycle. The year before Miller, Butler was 27-9. Today, they are right now Number 5 in the Country. Oh, yeah. That, too is some "Butler decline". You have absolutely ZERO idea what the hell you are talking about or saying.

    The overriding point is this. In you're twisted words- Brandon Miller was the young hot coaching hire until he wasn't-within a year and a half. Travis Steele was the young hot coaching hire until he....??? We can only hope that Greg Christopher has such a backup plan if this Steele hire doesn't work. Xavier's full identity is based upon basketball, as is Butler's. Collier controlled the Butler brand. Can Christopher?
    I said the Butler decline was on post-Holtmann right up until it wasnÂ’t. Hint: that means after he left. JordanÂ’s first year was good, but he inherited a senior Kelan Martin. After that, recruiting took a concerning nosedive and Butler was terrible last year (finished with a losing record). They were picked 8th in the BE this season, an assessment no one really questioned. There were definitely concerns. Now, theyÂ’re on pace for a protected seed out of nowhere. There are dips at programs like Xavier and Butler, especially when entire recruiting classes vanish.

    The way youÂ’ve written the narrative around Brandon Miller and Collier is so delusional. Are you honestly saying you donÂ’t think Brandon Miller has off the court issues? Why do you think heÂ’s essentially become a recluse and has not taken a job at any level in college basketball, despite having the continued endorsement of Brad Stevens, who is universally acknowledged as an elite basketball mind?

  4. #314
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    11,835
    Butler had a losing Big East record, but not an overall losing record. In fact, everyone (even DePaul) ended up with a postseason bid.

    That said, I honestly don't know why Butler didn't just directly hire Holtmann after Stevens left for Boston. Unless there was some loophole in his Gardner-Webb contract that would have had a buyout for taking another head coaching job yet said nothing about taking an assistant job elsewhere.

  5. #315
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Butler had a losing Big East record, but not an overall losing record. In fact, everyone (even DePaul) ended up with a postseason bid.

    That said, I honestly don't know why Butler didn't just directly hire Holtmann after Stevens left for Boston. Unless there was some loophole in his Gardner-Webb contract that would have had a buyout for taking another head coaching job yet said nothing about taking an assistant job elsewhere.
    They finished 16-17 if you include their NIT loss.

  6. #316
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,935
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I said the Butler decline was on post-Holtmann right up until it wasnÂ’t. Hint: that means after he left. JordanÂ’s first year was good, but he inherited a senior Kelan Martin. After that, recruiting took a concerning nosedive and Butler was terrible last year (finished with a losing record). They were picked 8th in the BE this season, an assessment no one really questioned. There were definitely concerns. Now, theyÂ’re on pace for a protected seed out of nowhere. There are dips at programs like Xavier and Butler, especially when entire recruiting classes vanish.

    The way youÂ’ve written the narrative around Brandon Miller and Collier is so delusional. Are you honestly saying you donÂ’t think Brandon Miller has off the court issues? Why do you think heÂ’s essentially become a recluse and has not taken a job at any level in college basketball, despite having the continued endorsement of Brad Stevens, who is universally acknowledged as an elite basketball mind?
    I've written no narrative. I laid out a factual timeline. Are you saying that Barry Collier didn't have a backup plan ready? Are you saying hiring Chris Holtmann when he did meant nothing? What the hell are you saying? Yeah, Jordan's first year was good. The next year he had a similar roster as Xavier last year with similar results. This year they're Number 5 with 2 returning seniors- McDermott is a lesser player than Tyrique and I'd rate Baldwin equal to Naji. We are flopping. Did you say that Xavier's Elite 8 run two years ago was "out of nowhere" too? I'd like to see your quotes from 2 years ago. Good coaches make adjustments and make iish happen. What makes you think this current guy can adjust?

    What is Xavier's back up plan?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  7. #317
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,935
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    They finished 16-17 if you include their NIT loss.

    Wow. We won one more NIT game!! HOOOOOOOOORRRRRRAAYYYYYY!!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  8. #318
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I've written no narrative. I laid out a factual timeline. Are you saying that Barry Collier didn't have a backup plan ready? Are you saying hiring Chris Holtmann when he did meant nothing? What the hell are you saying? Yeah, Jordan's first year was good. The next year he had a similar roster as Xavier last year with similar results. This year they're Number 5 with 2 returning seniors- McDermott is a lesser player than Tyrique and I'd rate Baldwin equal to Naji. We are flopping. Did you say that Xavier's Elite 8 run two years ago was "out of nowhere" too? I'd like to see your quotes from 2 years ago. Good coaches make adjustments and make iish happen. What makes you think this current guy can adjust?

    What is Xavier's back up plan?
    You have repeatedly alluded to the thought that Brandon Miller was essentially fired under the cover of a contrived medical leave of absence. That’s the narrative.

    If it comes down to it, I’d much rather burn it to the ground and go full rebuild than hire a guy with two losing seasons and a CIT appearance at Gardner Webb. You would riot if that’s what Xavier did.

    Obviously Greg Christopher has a shortlist like any AD does. The way you think about things though, maybe we already have an emergency backup on staff in Matt Graves and will wait until next October to convince Steele to take fake medical leave?
    Last edited by AviatorX; 01-18-2020 at 05:30 PM.

  9. #319
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,935
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    You have repeatedly alluded to the thought that Brandon Miller was essentially fired under the cover of a contrived medical leave of absence. That’s the narrative.

    If it comes down to it, I’d much rather burn it to the ground and go full rebuild than hire a guy with two losing seasons and a CIT appearance at Gardner Webb. You would riot if that’s what Xavier did.

    Obviously Greg Christopher has a shortlist like any AD does. The way you think about things though, maybe we already have an emergency backup on staff in Matt Graves and will wait until next October to convince Steele to take fake medical leave?
    And you continually miss the point and still haven't given Collier the credit for having a solid backup plan. Butler is Number 5 in the country. We stink with few answers or improvement. Butler and Xavier have similar rosters. They controlled the damage. To date we are not.

    Welp. Matt Graves was a Head Coach, but he stunk and was fired. Not nearly as successful as Holtmann who had just been given a contract extension, in fact Graves' teams never made a post season. And this team's offense is as bad as before, the rebounding is a disaster and the defense stinks too. If he's the backup plan and if that's who Steele thinks is a guy who can help, Lord help us.

    And the fact that you would not have hired Chris Holtmann tells me that you know absolutely zero about basketball. So this discussion between us is over. Keep doing your mindless accusations and reckless finger pointing tho. I'm sure you give yourself the warm and fuzzies...or is that from Xavier's current dumpster fire? Hmmmm.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  10. #320
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And you continually miss the point and still haven't given Collier the credit for having a solid backup plan. Butler is Number 5 in the country. We stink with few answers or improvement. Butler and Xavier have similar rosters. They controlled the damage. To date we are not.

    Welp. Matt Graves was a Head Coach, but he stunk and was fired. Not nearly as successful as Holtmann who had just been given a contract extension, in fact Graves' teams never made a post season. And this team's offense is as bad as before, the rebounding is a disaster and the defense stinks too. If he's the backup plan and if that's who Steele thinks is a guy who can help, Lord help us.

    And the fact that you would not have hired Chris Holtmann tells me that you know absolutely zero about basketball. So this discussion between us is over. Keep doing your mindless accusations and reckless finger pointing tho. I'm sure you give yourself the warm and fuzzies...or is that from Xavier's current dumpster fire? Hmmmm.
    Yeah I’m sure Chris Holtmann was at the top of your short list for Big East head jobs at the time. Please. 1000% credit to Butler for adding him to their staff, it was obviously a tremendous hire. I just don’t think the plan was for him to be the head coach two months later after Butler faked a medical leave situation to usher Miller out. That’s what you said.

    I haven’t said anything positive about the current situation at Xavier in this back and forth, so not really sure I get the warm and fuzzies comment.

    Coming from you, don’t think there’s anyway to take a shot at my basketball knowledge as anything but a compliment.

    Mindless accusations and reckless finger pointing? Do me a favor and go back and re read what you said about Brandon Miller. It’s honestly so stupid it’s impressive.

    Not sure why I’m arguing with the guy who thinks nicknames like Beaknose and Desert Racoon are funny. I guess thats on me.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 01-18-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •