View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 79 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    Agree we wasted minutes 1st two games with Schrand. Had he continued to get valuable minutes, it wouldn't have been a waste. I believe the Schrand plan immediately had a bad karma affect on team chemistry. Coach knew he had better players getting lesser minutes cause he wanted to send a message letting Schrand start. That would piss me off if I'm one of those better players. Also, some great practice players falter when the lights of game day come on. Others who aren't as motivated in practice play lights out (pun intended) when the crowds come pouring in. Did Steele himself play competitive basketball?
    Who got lesser minutes because Schrand started? Schrand played 17 and 21 minutes in the first two games. Tandy was injured and Scruggs didn't play against Siena because of injury. It mostly seems like his minutes came from Carter and maybe Naji.

Freemantle played 19 min in both, Bishop played 21 and 23, James played 7 and 15. I think right around 20 min for the two freshman is all you can expect in the first 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    This idea that practice is the only factor in game minutes is disturbing to me. Yes, players have to be motivated to practice, but sometimes I wonder. It's almost as if a guy could drop 20 pts., have a bad week of practice, and be benched the next game. A guy like Allen Iverson would probably have never seen the floor in our system.
    I read somewhere that Nova's 3 recruit requirements are: Athletic, Shooter, and High BB IQ. I think X's only requirements are Athleticism, and flashy video.
    Obviously practice isn't the only thing that is keeping guys off the court. Basically the only guy who is not getting minutes that you might expect to get minutes and isn't is James. Who has over-performed and not gotten minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I honestly think it's been a mixture of a couple bad classes, and then poor luck. The 2017 class gave us Scruggs, Naji, and Elias Harden, and 2018 gave us James , Jake Walter, and Keonte Kennedy. The 2017 class was good, but Elias left the program, the 2018 class was not so good. Then the 2019 class was good, but now Bishop has left the program. The thing that's kind of been killing us is losing attrition, the 2019 class looked amazing on paper, just as 2020 looks damn good on paper is well. I think we have very good recruiters on staff getting us in on some pretty good prospects. Obviously don't think X will ever be a 5* factory, but I think the recruiting has been stable with just a lot of bad luck, and that one 2018 class really coming back to bite us in the ass with depth.
    Had the 2018 class had one decent recruit around 75-125 in the rankings with a bluiett/tandy type skill set I think we would have been better of both this year and last year.

We basically would not have been able to field a team without 3 Grad transfers last year. Most teams would have taken Carter this year, he was one of the most highly rated transfers and he had two years left. We also basically needed those 2 grad transfers atleast for depth this year. I hope our roster depth is strong enough next year to not need a grad transfer next year unless there is great player out there.

The Gold jersey is great. Scruggs has had it the last 3 weeks......

2 of the last 3 games he's not been a factor. And don't show me his Nova line. He scored most of his points very late in that game when it was already decided.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    The Gold jersey is great. Scruggs has had it the last 3 weeks......

2 of the last 3 games he's not been a factor. And don't show me his Nova line. He scored most of his points very late in that game when it was already decided.
    So if you are coach, when you bench Scruggs, who you bringing in? Maybe the entire team sucks at practice and you just have to play the best guys you have.

I think some people would be happy if we benched everyone and started Hanson, Schrand, James, Moore and one of the other walk-on’s. You have to field a team.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    So if you are coach, when you bench Scruggs, who you bringing in? Maybe the entire team sucks at practice and you just have to play the best guys you have.
    You a little edgy? Jeesh

My point is its great that you practice your ass off. HE in particular has to be more assertive in games. All of our guards have to play better........

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I want to start a fire Roy thread.
    He's last place in the 15 team AAC.
    He's going to have a losing record.
    He obviously can't coach.
    But at least he's taking his medicine and not throwing a longtime assistant (aka Pete Gaudet) under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You a little edgy? Jeesh

My point is its great that you practice your ass off. HE in particular has to be more assertive in games. All of our guards have to play better........
    Agreed

Sophomore
    if we're gonna finish the year strong, scruggs and kyky have to both be more assertive