View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 75 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Kobi picked Arizona in January of 2016. Xavier was believed to be the leader for Zavier Simpson (who at the time was Xavier Simpson), Quentin came in for a visit late in August of 2015, Xavier pressed for a commitment and he pulled the trigger. Two weeks later Simpson picked Michigan. Unless you have information otherwise, Xavier would still have taken Kobi. I doubt Kobi was scared off by Quentin.
    Kobi wasn’t “scared off by Quentin”. Mack didn’t want a one and done and he wasn’t taking multiple point guards. None of this has anything to do with the job Steele isn’t doing.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I hate going to NIT’s with 4 4 star players on the roster and a Core of 4 veterans. I hate scoring less than 70 points consistently with offensively talented players.
    I hate underperformance. That’s what I hate. Sometimes coaches, and employees in general, are overmatched at the level they are placed- like John Beilein with the Cavs.
    This is not personal. This is business.
    Don’t be so ludicrous.
    Yeah one year Chris Mack had 5 star Semaj Christon, 4 star Justin Martin, 4 star Dee Davis, 4 star Jeff Robinson and missed everything going 17-14 in the A10. The next year with the same guys and added 4 star Jalen Reynolds, Myles Davis and Matt Stainbrook after they sat out, and they landed the first 4 getting embarrassed by NC State. The year after that they lost Semaj, but added Trevon and JP and lost 14 games and went 9-9 in the Big East. I guess we should have called it a night with Chris at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yeah one year Chris Mack had 5 star Semaj Christon, 4 star Justin Martin, 4 star Dee Davis, 4 star Jeff Robinson and missed everything going 17-14 in the A10. The next year with the same guys and added 4 star Jalen Reynolds, Myles Davis and Matt Stainbrook after they sat out, and they landed the first 4 getting embarrassed by NC State. The year after that they lost Semaj, but added Trevon and JP and lost 14 games and went 9-9 in the Big East. I guess we should have called it a night with Chris at that point.
    Did you say that? Cause I didn’t.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

No I didn’t because I don’t think changing coaches every few years is a good thing. I think it’s what has actually caused Xavier not taking the next step. So do I think Travis is doing awesome right now, heck no. But I believe he knows what he is doing and I actually think he has the right mind set and plan to build the team Xavier needs. I don’t think his ego will hurt his plan and think he will actually build a really good team that can eventually be a team to get us all to where we all want this program. It will take some time, but I think we will all enjoy it when it does happen. If not we are up a creek as a program. Chris got a little lucky, I don’t want to rely on luck.

A point guard who just scored his 1,000th point, but has been Coached down.
    I don't agree with this at all. Q is the same guy he has been, but he isn't making shots, his passes aren't to anyone who can shoot, and he appears to have lost a step. After 3 years in the program, Q isn't being held back by coaching, lack of screens, or because the offense isn't conducive to his skill set.

Q has regressed and his 1000 point total is fools gold. I see him pressing, trying to do too much, and making terrible decisions. He is a shell of his former self, and I don't think all the blame is on Steele. Q has shown flashes this season, but those have been few and far between.

If he played close to the level of his sophomore year, we would be a much better team. I've never seen a player shoot FT's at a 79% one season, but closer to 60% every other season in his career. His career arc defies logic, and while you can make a case his decline began when Steele took over, there are a variety of other factors that likely contributed to his downturn. It isn't as simple as "being coached down".
    Last edited by nuts4xu; 02-25-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Supporting Member
    The offensive talent on those teams was superior to what Steele is working with. This Should not be that tough to comprehend if you do not have a personal dislike for Steele. A team is pretty easy to guard when there is no consistent outside threat. The game today is built on players that can spread the floor, drive and shoot. When shots are falling, we become tough to guard,unfortunately, more often that not they are not falling and the talent level of the teams we are playing is close enough or better than ours that we are not going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. Q is the same guy he has been, but he isn't making shots, his passes aren't to anyone who can shoot, and he appears to have lost a step. After 3 years in the program, Q isn't being held back by coaching, lack of screens, or because the offense isn't conducive to his skill set.

Q has regressed and his 1000 point total is fools gold. I see him pressing, trying to do too much, and making terrible decisions. He is a shell of his former self, and I don't think all the blame is on Steele. Q has shown flashes this season, but those have been few and far between.

If he played close to the level of his sophomore year, we would be a much better team. I've never seen a player shoot FT's at a 79% one season, but closer to 60% every other season in his career. His career arc defies logic, and while you can make a case his decline began when Steele took over, there are a variety of other factors that likely contributed to his downturn. It isn't as simple as "being coached down".
    Preach Nuts!

Steele is pretty stubborn. He just refuses to accept Jason Carter is a liability. It's like playing 5 on 4 on the offensive end because the kid is so scared. There are times when he is standing wide open and the other guys just do not want to pass him the ball. He was really bad defensively against Nova too; got back doored multiple times.

I don't know what James does or doesn't do in practice, but he's shown flashes on the floor. At the very least he is aggressive and seems to have some confidence.

Maybe Steele is a great coach because he has this group of kids on the cusp of the Dance. Or maybe he is a bad coach willing to ride Jason Carter into the
    NIT again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    Steele is pretty stubborn. He just refuses to accept Jason Carter is a liability. It's like playing 5 on 4 on the offensive end because the kid is so scared. There are times when he is standing wide open and the other guys just do not want to pass him the ball. He was really bad defensively against Nova too; got back doored multiple times.

I don't know what James does or doesn't do in practice, but he's shown flashes on the floor. At the very least he is aggressive and seems to have some confidence.

Maybe Steele is a great coach because he has this group of kids on the cusp of the Dance. Or maybe he is a bad coach willing to ride Jason Carter into the
    NIT again.
    I really don't get this. I recognize the fan base has elected Carter as the outlet for their frustration, but Steele certainly isn't riding him anywhere. Carter uses less possessions than Naji, Tyrique, Scruggs, Goodin, Freemantle and Tandy. He is essentially the 7th offensive option in a 7.5 man rotation. Setting aside the fact that there is literally nothing to indicate James is a better option in that role, Carter is wayyyyyyyyyyy down the list of this team's offensive issues.

Obviously, Carter has been disappointing. I'm sure he would tell you that. But again, it's not like Steele has Derrick Brown rotting away on the bench. With Freemantle and Tandy at this point basically getting 25-30 minutes a game, there's not really much room to complain about Carter's PT.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 02-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post

I don't believe the "coached down" angle.

Quentin had a child last year. Which, "coincidentally" was when the downward slide began.

Maybe, just maybe he's kinda done with this stage of his life. But he didn't want to just bail after his junior year; instead, he wanted to finish the job.

There's a lot of parents on this board. Imagine trying to balance school, high D1 level basketball... and having a newborn.

Not exactly a recipe for being an All Big-East PG...

Maybe I'm too empathetic, but thus is life sometimes.