0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 13 of 199 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I have some thoughts.

First of all, I think it's hard to run an offense with a team that sucks at shooting. It's not impossible, but would require a shift in philosophy with likely a lot more complex movement off the ball to get open lanes and looks. This team doesn't seem like it has a super-high basketball IQ so that may not be an option for this group.

Second, this is our first coaching change in the Big East. The margin for error is smaller. Miller had some early struggles. Mack had some struggles as well, although his first 2 seasons were pretty solid due to the fact that he inherited a phenomenal point guard in Tu Holloway. Hopefully Travis gets it figured out. If he doesn't, hopefully we have the courage to move on quickly.
    The entire team doesnt suck at shooting. The ones who are taking the majority of the shots are.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The entire team does not suck at shooting. The ones who are taking the majority of the shots are.
    Only Scruggs is "looking" good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The entire team doesnt suck at shooting. The ones who are taking the majority of the shots are.
    Number of 3 pointers taken/% made

Naji. 81. 28%
    Scruggs. 69. 38%
    Goodin. 61. 26%
    Moore. 47. 30%
    KyKy. 33. 36%
    Carter. 32. 31%

I’d say that Scruggs is the ONLY one shooting 1/2 way decent, and he has taken the 2nd most attempts, and made the most #. KyKy has shot horribly the last 2 games. Carter has shot better the last 2 games. Other than telling Goodin not to shoot any...and he didn’t in the 2nd half of the Creighton game.....what changes should be made? Other than trying to get Scruggs some additional shots, I don’t know what else can be done. Do you put KyKy in there and hope he regains his confidence and shot? Do you tell Carter to keep taking them? He only averaged 1 made 3pointer a game last year and is just about at that same pace this year. They really don’t have any GREAT shooters sitting on the bench and that’s not going to change until possibly next year. Virtually every one of the players that transferred out was supposed to be a “shooter”, and none of them panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

Naji. 81. 28%
    Scruggs. 69. 38%
    Goodin. 61. 26%
    Moore. 47. 30%
    KyKy. 33. 36%
    Carter. 32. 31%

I’d say that Scruggs is the ONLY one shooting 1/2 way decent, and he has taken the 2nd most attempts, and made the most #. KyKy has shot horribly the last 2 games. Carter has shot better the last 2 games. Other than telling Goodin not to shoot any...and he didn’t in the 2nd half of the Creighton game.....what changes should be made? Other than trying to get Scruggs some additional shots, I don’t know what else can be done. Do you put KyKy in there and hope he regains his confidence and shot? Do you tell Carter to keep taking them? He only averaged 1 made 3pointer a game last year and is just about at that same pace this year. They really don’t have any GREAT shooters sitting on the bench and that’s not going to change until possibly next year. Virtually every one of the players that transferred out was supposed to be a “shooter”, and none of them panned out.
    38% from 3 is better than decent. Its pretty darn good. I think KyKy is still trying to find some his shot. 36% is actually pretty solid. Naji and Q being 1 and 3 in attempts is not good.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    38% from 3 is better than decent. Its pretty darn good. I think KyKy is still trying to find some his shot. 36% is actually pretty solid. Naji and Q being 1 and 3 in attempts is not good.
    Yeah 38 is better than jp ever had in a season and actually better than two of blueitt's.

I love naji but him and q hurt this team taking that many threes, period.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    This ^

I posted the 3pt shooting percentages of X players the other day to shine a light on exactly who should be shooting most threes and why ... the numbers are here too... not sure where is the confusion as to who should shoot?

Make sure your best shooters are getting the most looks... but how does the coach really know who the best shooters are? Look at their stats. You know the same ones that have now been posted twice in two days.

Scruggs and Kyky clearly have the highest shooting percentage....
    Scruggs and Kyky (and Moore) are hitting the most threes in practice (according to the stats Steele records)
    Who was the one player whose 3 point shooting Steele bragged about at the start of last season and who shot above 40% for a long stretch of the season last year? Scruggs. This just isn’t that hard.

Making sure Scruggs and Kyky are getting the most looks from three is like making sure one of your two best free throw shooters has the ball in his hands when you expect your opponent to foul at the end of a game: It’s just a smart decision that improves your probability of success by playing the better percentages.

One last thing: Steele just said on his radio show that X doesn’t have a shooter like Powell... actually X has two shooters doing better from 3 than him... Scruggs and Kyky. So maybe they are not likely going to score as many in a game as Powell, but they are hitting at a higher clip from 3 than him and together they could be a fierce tandem if used properly. So let’s make sure they are shooting more 3s coach... a LOT MORE than anyone else.

In the last 3 games:

Naji has shot:
    SJU 3-6
    Hall 2-5
    Cre. 1-4
    Total of 6-15 for 40%
    And has played 116 minutes.....116/15=A 3 point shot taken every 7.73 minutes

Meanwhile:
    The combination of KyKY and Scruggs has gone:
    12-20 for 60% (KyKy is 2-6 in the two loses, was 4-6 against SJU)
    And have played a total of 160 minutes. 160/20=A 3 point shot taken every 8 minutes

So...I think that EVERYONE AGREES that Q needs to stop taking 3 point shots (and he took NONE in the 2nd half of the Creighton game after going 0-7 in the 1st half.....did Steele tell him at halftime to stop? He didn’t play but a couple of minutes in the 2nd half either. KyKy and Moore got the minutes..hmmmm). And I think that everyone would like to see Scruggs and KyKy taking the majority of those shots. No argument on either of those things.

.....BUT what about Marshall? He’s shooting 40% over the last 3 games, and isn’t taking them at an extremely high rate when compared to the 2 best shooters (Scruggs and KyKy).

The thing that I would like to see is not for him to stop shooting them completely. BUT....he often takes 3 point shots when there is NO TEAMMATES anywhere near the basket to rebound his misses. The quick 3 pointers that he misses are like turnovers. He needs to pick his spots better, wait until someone is in rebounding position.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-14-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

Naji. 81. 28%
    Scruggs. 69. 38%
    Goodin. 61. 26%
    Moore. 47. 30%
    KyKy. 33. 36%
    Carter. 32. 31%
    Out of curiosity I wanted to see what % of a players shots were 3s. Tells a similar story but makes Naji's numbers more palatable.

Naji 37%
    Scruggs 38%
    Goodin 50%
    Moore 84%
    KyKy 70%
    Carter 31%

Sophomore
    As described in some of these last posts, the stats as well as the eye test tell us that Paul Scruggs is a really, really good player.

The stats and the eye test also tell us that Goodin is not a good player. And he's killing the offense in that teams have stopped guarding him (with good reason) which leaves him in a position where he really has almost no choice but to shoot but also that the other players are subject to extra help defense because Q's guy is not playing Q honestly. It's foolish to say "well, then just don't shoot" because the options if he doesn't shoot aren't real good. Indeed, it's next to impossible to win in contemporary college basketball with a very below average shooting guard; it's just too important to the modern game.

The choice then is you just roll with him and hope he finds a hot streak. That's probably foolhardy. The back of his baseball card, so to speak, tells us over four years at this point that he simply struggles as a shooter. Or he has to just play way, way less. Problem there, of course, is that the depth/alternate options on this team are not good.

In the end, it's a team with some good players but just not enough of them, and missing the absolute star that they really need.

All-Conference
    I have no issue with Naji taking open threes. He's proven he can make them.

He's not as good of a shooter as Paul or KyKy, but can be a threat if he's open. His percentage is low because he takes so many bad ones.