View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 43 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    If a kid did that on a team I coached, he's having a long meeting with Mr. Pine. Unacceptable answer.
    So you would bench a kid for looking into the stands, but the kid who shoots 17% from the field deserves more playing time, provided he doesn't look into the stands?

Sophomore
    If a kid did that on a team I coached, he's having a long meeting with Mr. Pine. Unacceptable answer.
    coach a lot of guys that had big east coaches coming to their games? somehow i doubt it. you're not gonna bench your best player because he noticed a D1 coach at his game.

We have no shooters. That's something to criticize in today's game where shooting is imperative.
    I bet everyone on the board agrees with you on this.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    coach a lot of guys that had big east coaches coming to their games? somehow i doubt it. you're not gonna bench your best player because he noticed a D1 coach at his game.
    An average coach, maybe. The good one's won't hesitate to do so for even the most minor of rule breaking.

See Gene Pingatore in Hoop Dreams when William Gates was late to a team meeting. Before a playoff game, no less.

Travis Steele has broken MOR.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The Gary Griffin torch is alive and well thanks to MOR and Travis Steele.

I’m just going to leave this discussion like this, especially because I like ‘87 and SCOSCOX. I can even tolerate Aviator, although he’s misguided with glasses too rosy.

I hope that in March, or preferably earlier, my criticisms are wrong, that Steele shepherds this squad to success and I can eat a lot of Crow. I sincerely hope that. But there has to be one helluva lot of improvement across the board, vs Big East teams that are improving a helluva lot across the board too.
    Losing to Wake Forest, and almost losing to Mizzou, UConn and Missouri State was horriffic. Beating Clifton Community College was, and is always, expected.
    I promise right here right now that if this coach and team turns it around, I’ll still be here and take the heat.. unlike our Coach at this moment.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-21-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    I’m just going to leave this discussion like this, especially because I like ‘87 and SCOSCOX.

I hope that in March, or preferably earlier, my criticisms are wrong, that Steele shepherds this squad to success and I can eat a lot of Crow. I sincerely hope that. But there has to be one helluva lot of improvement across the board, vs Big East teams that are improving a helluva lot across the board too.
    Losing to Wake Forest, and almost losing to Mizzou, UConn and Missouri State was horriffic. Beating Clifton Community College was, and is always, acceptable. I promise right here right now that if this coach and team turns it around, I’ll still be here and take the heat.. unlike our Coach at this moment.
    i agree with you, i just don't think the coaches' show is worth killing him over in this particular instance. if it becomes a trend though after bad losses then i'll have no problem joining the clarion call
    Last edited by scoscox; 01-21-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    An average coach, maybe. The good one's won't hesitate to do so for even the most minor of rule breaking.

See Gene Pingatore in Hoop Dreams when William Gates was late to a team meeting. Before a playoff game, no less.
    being late to a meeting is a lot different than a kid noticing a coach in the stands. no coach would care unless it affected his game

Since Shannon posted this on her Facebook page (and if you’re not friends with her, you’re missing out) I’m posting this here without comment. Have at it. I have my opines.

From Steele’s Press Conference today:

“Travis Steele just had his pre-Georgetown presser and we learned two things:

1. None of the starters have been determined yet.

2. He may sprinkle in some zone moving forward.

Steele was adamant that the Musketeers' identity is as a man-to-man team but he conceded that lax defense is the reason the team has started 1-4 in the Big East. He has liked the way XU has responded in practices since the Marquette loss; we'll see if that carries over to tomorrow's game vs. the Hoyas.

Georgetown (12-7, 2-4 Big East) has played pretty well since the departures of James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc. The Hoyas lead the conference in scoring (79.1 ppg), and while they're 10th in points allowed (73.6), they're tenacious on the offensive glass (12.4 rpg with a league-leading offensive rebounding percentage). Seven-footer Omer Yurtseven is third in the league in scoring (16.9 ppg) and second rebounding (9.9). Sharpshooting guard Mac McClung has averaged 19 ppg in his conference games.

What does this mean for Xavier? It's not going to be an easy game but a victory at home is a necessity before heading to Creighton this weekend.

Here are a few highlights of what Steele said in the presser.

Opening statement: We’re going to have our hands full with Georgetown. They’re a tremendous offensive team. They’re ranked 19th in the country in offensive efficiency. They score a lot of points. Coach (Patrick) Ewing is doing a terrific job putting his guys in spots where they can be very effective. They start with the big fellow, Yurtseven, who is as good as any big as in our league, that’s for sure. His skill level, he can score the ball and near the room shoots the ball really well on the offensive end. So we’ve been game-planning for him pretty hard over the last couple of days. Obviously they have Mac McClung, who’s one of the better scorers in our league as well. Anytime he can get his shot off and score the ball, and they surround those guys with really good shooters on the perimeter. So we’re going to have our hands full guarding them. We’ve got to make it a possession game. We’ve got to make it a grinding game for us to get ourselves the best chance to win.

Amid doubt and criticism, how do you pull yourself out of a slump?
    TS: Just stay positive. The doubt and criticism, I have no idea. I’m numb to all that. It’s more about staying positive with our team. Positive thoughts lead to positive results. I think we’ve had great practices even during the stretch. It’s about just getting better and staying with the process and it’s a long season. It’s a marathon.

You said after Marquette that changes were coming. What changes might we see tomorrow?
    TS: I don’t know who will start for us yet. We opened that up to our Xavier Way. The top five guys in the Xavier Way are going to be the starters tomorrow so that’s to be determined as far as who’s earned it. I’m not giving anybody any spot. They have to earn that right. We’ve competed a lot since the Marquette game but you’re going to see a big difference hopefully on the defensive end. You better see a big difference on the defensive end and on the backboard. Georgetown’s going to test us. They’re a really good offensive rebounding team. We have to block out, we have to be grinding, we have to play towards our identity. And I think we’ve gotten some stuff ironed out over the last week.

Has anyone stood out that has impressed you?
    TS: Tyrique’s been dominant. He’s been dominant, dominant. He hasn’t been that dominant in a while, which has been good to see. Ty gives our team personality and when he plays like he’s been playing in practice, man, we’re a completely different team.

You played some zone last year; will you implement that again moving forward?
    TS: Maybe a little bit. Again, our identity is going to be man-to-man and it has to be, and we have to be a heck of a lot better on the defensive end. That’s why we’re in the position we’re in in the Big East right now is our defense. But at the same time, we will mix in a little bit of zone here and there. When we went on our run last year, we got rid of zone for the most part and we were about 99 percent man towards the end of the year. And that’s who we are. So we’ll sprinkle in a little zone here and there.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell