View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 39 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    They’re even making fun of MOR on “the other Xavier Board”. As if that means anything.
    Like I care. Show me a win tomorrow night Travis.
    The preseason Top 25 Musketeers have underperformed all year long.
    Show me something.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Steele is speaking to the media today, so perhaps he is not running and hiding after all.
    Or, more likely, he read the board, had a reflection session, and thought, "Damn. MOR is right."

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Or, more likely, he read the board, had a reflection session, and thought, "Damn. MOR is right."
    Then the world really is ending....
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Are you really arguing that he should have skipped a recruiting trip so he could appear on his radio show?

What's happened to you? You used to be one of the sane voices on this board.
    A "recruiting trip" all the way to Kettering...during a dead period...to "evaluate". Like he didn't have an entire weekend to "evaluate". Like he didn't have half of Monday to "evaluate"? Like he can't get on a charter plane on an off day to "evaluate". As I said. No one who was playing at Flying to the Hoop on Monday evening is anywhere near on Xavier's radar. It's 45 minutes from Kettering to the radio show. All this after his team has stunk it up for the last 3 games, been barely passable for the 15 games before that, and he had just skipped a post game radio show after a horrible performance. I'm saying the guy is not answering legit questions about his performance, and that is what he is paid handsomely to do.

I want excellence, and we're not getting it. If that's insane, then call me Howard Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Hey- there are a lot of us feeling what MOR is feeling. There is no reason for this team to be as crappy as they are. We can all tell each other the finger ought to be pointed at this player or that situation, but the reality is that the buck must stop with the head coach. Had this been the first year for Travis, it would be a little easier to witness him being out of touch with his players this far into the season (particularly after hearing how great the chemistry supposedly was earlier in the season).

The players often don’t look like they know what they are supposed to do on offense other than pass it around on the perimeter until one of our struggling shooters is left open from 3 and decides to give in to the low percentage shot. Why do our players rarely drive even if there is an open lane? Why are we not concerned with drawing contact and getting to the line more? Not conferenced about getting opponents key players into foul trouble? How many fewer foul shots are we attempting per game this year than we did two or three years ago? What is the specific strategy we have been using to ensure we end up with more rebounds?

What plays are being run to ensure our best 3 point shooter (Scruggs) is getting the most open looks? Why are so many 3s allowed to be taken when so many players are not good at shooting them? Why has Steele repeatedly stated that he doesn’t care about three point shooting and players taking and missing so many shots? Why is the one thing that Steele says is the teams strength (the defense) no longer even a strength? What exactly are his assistants specialty? Sure “this one one works more with the bigs and that one with the guards,” but what specific skills and strategies are they really bringing to the table?

Why again are we redshirting a 6’11” player whose height and athleticism might have given (and still might be giving) the team another option that might help with rebounding (a big issue) and blocking (since other bigs are having floaters go just over their outstretched hands)? One might buy Steele’s “play it safe and save Miles for next year” thinking if the three bigs currently playing were dominating and Ramsey was actually healthy. But since that is not the case, why not try Jones and Miles on the court together (to see if there is a similar chemistry like Jones had with Hankins on the floor)? And, speaking of Jones, why is Steele not calling on him as a senior leader to do more to step up and help get the team pissed off and make it clear that it is now or never if they want to make the tournament? Or is part of the problem that the coach is simply telling them they need to play better but not actually showing them how by actually setting them up for success with specific plays that play to each player’s strength - plays that will give the team an edge while exploiting their opponents weaknesses (the way other teams have exploited ours).

Most (if not all) of us were thrilled when Steele was introduced as the new head coach. Most of us (if not all) love his friendly and approachable demeanor. It is a refreshing change from our previous coach who was known to come across grumpy, defensive and a frankly a real prick at times when the media asked questions that he didn’t feel like answering. At least we don’t get any of that garbage with Travis. But one must wonder if that same “nice guy” attitude Steele has, gets in the way at times. No, he shouldn’t throw players under the bus, but he does need to get tough with players and make sure they following his game plan (assuming he has one completely laid out). Steele seems to answer some questions well during press conferences while sidestepping others (or at least he has denied certain real issues were in fact real issues).

We now are finally hearing Steele sound a little tougher, saying “changes will be made” (even if it is weeks after many of us had expected it). We will wait to see what those long-overdue changes are. We will see if he is able to get players to buy into those changes and if they are in fact coarse-correcting changes that better takes advantage of individual player’s strengths... that leads to better team chemistry... that results in the team running more effective plays... that leads to more drives and drawing more fouls... that leads to more rebounds... taking smarter shots... defending better on defense... turning the ball over less... creating more steals... making more free throws... getting consistently better effort... and getting back to winning games.

No one is expecting a miraculous change over night. Seeing some improvements and a win at Georgetown would be a good start.
    And this is a great summary post!! Thanks very much IM4X!!

Public props!!

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    If he had a "Reflection Session", apparently it wasn't offensive in nature. When Shannon Russell asked him what changes we might see tomorrow, he said:
    "We've competed a lot since the Marquette game, but your going to see a big difference hopefully on the defensive end. You'd better see a big difference on the defensive end and on the backboard".

Thanks for that answer Travis Cronin.

Welp, we'll see, but what about the anemic offense, Travis? I know you don't want to give any secrets, but, ya know, our defense is practicing against our offense. I'm sure that is really a test.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    A "recruiting trip" all the way to Kettering...during a dead period...to "evaluate". Like he didn't have an entire weekend to "evaluate". Like he didn't have half of Monday to "evaluate"? Like he can't get on a charter plane on an off day to "evaluate". As I said. No one who was playing at Flying to the Hoop on Monday evening is anywhere near on Xavier's radar. It's 45 minutes from Kettering to the radio show. All this after his team has stunk it up for the last 3 games, been barely passable for the 15 games before that, and he had just skipped a post game radio show after a horrible performance. I'm saying the guy is not answering legit questions about his performance, and that is what he is paid handsomely to do.

I want excellence, and we're not getting it. If that's insane, then call me Howard Hughes.
    there are a bunch of guys at that event that we're recruiting. some of them very high priority. malaki branham, paul mcmillan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    there are a bunch of guys at that event that we're recruiting. some of them very high priority. malaki branham, paul mcmillan etc.
    Did they play Monday night? The answer is NO. Woodward played Saturday. St. V played Sunday.
    All the players we are interested in were done before 3:00 on Monday. There was zero reason for Steele to be there after that.
    And to my knowledge, no one else that needed to be seen was even playing Monday afternoon/evening anywhere.

It’s my OPINION that unless Xavier suddenly found some consistently good outside shooters the offense is not going to show any remarkable renaissance. I don’t BELIEVE that it’s a case of the wrong person shooting, or people not getting open. NOBODY on the team has been a CONSISTENT threat to make the three point shot. EVERY player has laid their fair share of bricks and while several of the players have gotten hot for a game or a stretch, none of them can be counted on to sink the shot consistently enough to build an offense around them taking that shot.

Could be that Steele sees the same thing and therefore is concentrated on the defensive creating some offense. Thus his comments about defense.

Xavier has lost several supposed outside shooting threats over the last couple of years.....Curtis, Kennedy, Bishop, Ridder, all come to mind. KyKy hasn’t developed into a consistent outside threat. Upperclassmen haven’t developed their outside game as we had hoped and expected they would.

The recruiting “experts” on several sites have said this exact same thing and pointed out that Xavier has been targeting shooters in its recruiting for 2020 and 2021. Lets hope that those coming in next year provide some relief and help.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    If he had a "Reflection Session", apparently it wasn't offensive in nature. When Shannon Russell asked him what changes we might see tomorrow, he said:
    "We've competed a lot since the Marquette game, but you're going to see a big difference hopefully on the defensive end. You'd better see a big difference on the defensive end and on the backboard.

My name is Travis Steele, and I approved this message"

Thanks for that answer Travis Cronin.

Welp, we'll see, but what about the anemic offense, Travis? I know you don't want to give any secrets, but, ya know, our defense is practicing against our offense. I'm sure that is really a test.
    Fixed that for you.