View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 34 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    FYI, this is a Xavier basketball message board. Don’t think anyone really cares about graduation rates and academics when we’re discussing frustrations with this particular team in a vacuum. Every school Xavier competes against also has players going to class and graduating. We all appreciate this stuff, but it’s not some grand answer to those expecting more from the basketball team.

Didn’t realize you had to separate the two things.....basketball and university. Don’t see how you can. The basketball program doesn’t operate in a vacuum, unaffected by actual reality. Are we discussing dreams or reality here?

Just dreams? OK......winning a NC would be a dream come true. As long as I don’t wake up and find it has become a nightmare.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-19-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Didn’t realize you had to separate the two things.....basketball and university. Don’t see how you can. The basketball program doesn’t operate in a vacuum, unaffected by actual reality. Are we discussing dreams or reality here?

Just dreams? OK......winning a NC would be a dream come true. As long as I don’t wake up and find it has become a nightmare.
    You don’t have to separate them, but I don’t really see the relevance in continually leaning on it to push back on the idea that fans can and should have high expectations for a high major division 1 basketball team. And if we’re being honest, Xavier men’s basketball is pretty separate from the university. It’s it’s own entity.

Your responses would make more sense if folks were openly calling for paying players, etc. It just doesn’t fit when the discussion is whether Travis Steele is getting the job done to our expectations.

Everything you are describing is a GIVEN for 99% of college basketball programs. So we as fans judge the success on wins and losses.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 01-19-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    You don’t have to separate them, but I don’t really see the relevance in continually leaning on it to push back on the idea that fans can and should have high expectations for a high major division 1 basketball team. And if we’re being honest.......we as fans judge the success on wins and losses.
    Might be true for some, I don’t think it’s true for all.

Someone saying that unless Xavier is going “full speed” towards the “highest level” of success (when success is measured only in terms of wins and losses) they are “accepting defeat”, is an opinion, not a fact.

I merely am stating that from MY perspective, that’s not all there is and I don’t base “success” merely on the wins and loses. Does that make me LESS of a fan, or just a fan with a different perspective?

I accept that there are fans that only look at how many banners can be raised and how many tourneys can be won, and say that unless that is happening, they are a failure. I just don’t agree with that opinion. In fact, I vehemently disagree with that and honestly believe that to take that perspective is to imply that all of the players and coaches that didn’t reach that level, or don’t reach that level in the future, were or will be failures. Which I totally disagree with too.

It’s not a matter of saying X should have high expectations....it’s only a difference of opinion of what the expectations are and what areas they cover.

Supporting Member

Someone saying that unless Xavier is going “full speed” towards the “highest level” of success (when success is measured only in terms of wins and losses) they are “accepting defeat”, is an opinion, not a fact.

I merely am stating that from MY perspective, that’s not all there is and I don’t base “success” merely on the wins and loses. Does that make me LESS of a fan, or just a fan with a different perspective?

I accept that there are fans that only look at how many banners can be raised and how many tourneys can be won, and say that unless that is happening, they are a failure. I just don’t agree with that opinion. In fact, I vehemently disagree with that and honestly believe that to take that perspective is to imply that all of the players and coaches that didn’t reach that level, or don’t reach that level in the future, were or will be failures. Which I totally disagree with too.

It’s not a matter of saying X should have high expectations....it’s only a difference of opinion of what the expectations are and what areas they cover.
    Frankly, wins are of utmost importance when it comes to both the basketball team and to the university as a whole. If the basketball team is not winning at a high level, that is a serious problem for the growth and sustainability of the school.

Not making the tournament at this point is a complete failure every year they dont make it.

Man we need to play a game ASAP......AND win or lose, look like we have made some adjustments and are making some progress.

I fear what this board will look like if we don't and continue down the same path we've see so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Miller was removed after one year because of Collier's backup plan and his performance, and "allegedly" a Medical Condition that no one knows what of.
    Miller definitely had a medical condition, which, although never disclosed, I believe was mental health issues. He took a medical leave of absence a few weeks before the season started, and never returned. Do you really think Butler forced him out a few weeks before the season started because they wanted Holtman as the head coach, and then made up this medical issue?
    Last edited by XU 87; 01-19-2020 at 11:32 AM.

There are now a lot of Xavier fans that have never gone to Xavier. They don't necessarily relate to the school aspect of fandom. Kinda like most UK fans have never gone to UK. Same with Duke. It's OK to just be a Xavier basketball fan.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I don’t care about the community I want to win. Xavier is the only thing that makes
    Winter fun. If they suck that means my entire year of sports sucks. Bungles, reds then Xavier.
    Don’t forget FC Cincinnati. They sucked last year, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Sophomore

every time you climb on one of your high horses to lecture the rest of us, which you seem to do several times each day, it’s like the air in this board gets sucked out into space and replaced with a giant smelly fart.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    every time you climb on one of your high horses to lecture the rest of us, which you seem to do several times each day, it’s like the air in this board gets sucked out into space and replaced with a giant smelly fart.
    Public and private reps and right on. The preaching on how to be a fan is absurd.