View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 90 of 199 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Next year without Naji and Paul would be rough, definitely a lot of underclassmen and we'd go through some growing pains. It'd be very hard to watch, but if you think about it, could be a blessing in disguise getting these guys acquainted to the college game by throwing them into the fire. Either way, I'm sure the staff will be going after some graduate transfers that could help fill some roles.
    The '97 and '98 teams were a lot of fun to watch after the '96 team was quite painful to watch. Side note, I'm getting really old.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    I have a feeling that Naji and Scruggs are both going to be working their way towards the NBA in the G-League next year.
    I think Paul will come back after evaluation. Naji, I fear is gone. Dude has proven so much this year and has little left to prove.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Naji’s is better than Carter’s. Carter’s is better than Fremantle but that is skewed from early season rotations. Jones’ +/- is tops.
    Any idea how it compares with Free in the starters role?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Any idea how it compares with Free in the starters role?
    I would have to break down the numbers individually per game which is more work than I think it’s worth.... I would imagine it’s pretty close, however.

One stat that I find interesting: Freemantle has played about the same minutes as a starter as a reserve this year. FT attempts as a starter: 14. As a reserve: 37.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I think Paul will come back after evaluation. Naji, I fear is gone. Dude has proven so much this year and has little left to prove.
    I'm along the same line of thinking, the only thing that worries me is Scruggs' age, he may take the evaluation and head to Europe where I think he could make a pretty penny. I'd love for him to come back though, I think Naji is gone no matter what though. There's really nothing much another year of college would do for him, you kind of know what you're going to get out of both.

I would have to break down the numbers individually per game which is more work than I think it’s worth.... I would imagine it’s pretty close, however.

One stat that I find interesting: Freemantle has played about the same minutes as a starter as a reserve this year. FT attempts as a starter: 14. As a reserve: 37.
    I wonder if it has to do with mentality, knowing we have a pretty short bench, and that it needs a spark, as a reserve he may tend to be a little more aggressive, while as a starter he knows that the show runs through Paul, Naji, and Rique.

As a reserve Free was often filling in for Tyrique and under the basket. As a starter he's playing away more when coupled with Tryrique. He's just recently found his 3 point stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    As a reserve Free was often filling in for Tyrique and under the basket. As a starter he's playing away more when coupled with Tryrique. He's just recently found his 3 point stroke.
    As a reserve he was 3-6
    As a starter he is 7-20

I think he is still searching for the stroke... he’s not a bad shooter but his post moves and footwork are so advanced for a freshman (ala D West) I would feed him in post more personally. Tough to do that with Tyrique in there but at least opponents would have to double someone.

Quote Originally Posted by xcellentx View Post
    It is true that Steele has been involved in recruiting, but the head coach is going to make calls about who to prioritize and how time is spent.

Your point was that Steele lacked foresight not having enough PG's, but in his first 2 recruiting classes that were solely his he brings in KyKy who can at least play some minutes there and a true PG in his second class. The criticism that he lacks foresight on this just doesn't make sense to me.

And if there is anything not to criticize Steele on at this point it is recruiting.
    Your point is fair I definitely am not dismissing it. It's just my opinion that the associate head coach and lead recruiter under Mack would be heavily involved in final player offers. Maybe he wanted to offer a PG and Mack said no. It's possible.

That is why it's my biggest complaint about him right now though. I just feel he could have helped construct the team better even though he technically didn't have the final say. Maybe Odom pans out and we bring in another PG the next year and then puts that criticism to bed. I hope he does cause having a team full of 3's and Tyrique is ugly to watch

As a reserve he was 3-6
    As a starter he is 7-20

I think he is still searching for the stroke... he’s not a bad shooter but his post moves and footwork are so advanced for a freshman (ala D West) I would feed him in post more personally. Tough to do that with Tyrique in there but at least opponents would have to double someone.
    If we were shooting 35% from 3 as a team, our record would be much better.

Freshman
    As a reserve he was 3-6
    As a starter he is 7-20

I know I could look this up to confirm but I'm assuming you're saying he is 10-26 for the season. That's approaching 39%. I think is 3-pt shooting should be encouraged (and further developed) and we turn him into a nasty, NASTY stretch 4.