View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 82 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Since Creighton joined the BE, you've been to the NCAA's three times. You've won one game.

At the same time, X has been to the NCAA's 5 times, winning 7 games, and has also had a 1 and a 2 seed.

So I think it's fair to say that X has been pretty much better than Creighton, year after year.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-27-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Has there ever been a scholarship player we've had that didn't see minutes, transferred, then performed better than the players he was behind while here? I can't recall that ever happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I can think of one guy - David Young back in early millennium who transferred after his junior year to NC Central where he averaged over 20 per game and then got drafted by the NBA in the second round.

Edit- Young got kicked off the team during his junior year, but he wasn't seeing much Pt. I think he got kicked off after he MF'd Matta after a game because he was pissed about his lack of PT.
    D Young started every game the year before he was booted. So he went from little PT as a frosh to a ton of PT as a soph (on a very solid team) to no PT again as a jr..

Another guy on that 2001-02 team, Jaison Williams sat behind Chalmers and transferred from X to Oklahoma. He had a productive career as a Sooner where he was coincidentally back court mates with Drew Lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    D Young started every game the year before he was booted. So he went from little PT as a frosh to a ton of PT as a soph (on a very solid team) to no PT again as a jr..

Another guy on that 2001-02 team, Jaison Williams sat behind Chalmers and transferred from X to Oklahoma. He had a productive career as a Sooner where he was coincidentally back court mates with Drew Lavender.
    I read an old article about Young getting kicked off the team. His junior year he lost PT to both Chalmers and Dedrick Finn. My recollection is that he was playing a few minutes a game before he got kicked off, and when he did get in he would just launch threes.

I thought about Williams, but I don't think he left because of PT. I thought he played a fair amount his freshman year. I think he was just kind of a different guy who went to multiple high schools and then multiple colleges. Didn't he transfer to Colorado and then transferred to OK?

Quote Originally Posted by CP05XU08CU13 View Post
    Thus, the blame lies with Travis. He is either doing a poor job at recruiting or a poor job at developing players. It could be a combination of both. Subpar seasons at Xavier are unacceptable. The fan base expects quick results.
    Troll much?
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by CP05XU08CU13 View Post
    I think McDermott is a solid coach (nowhere near as good as Dana Altman was), but Omaha does not offer near the amenities of Cincinnati. This is something that partially attracts recruits.
    I think Xavier has outperformed Creighton since joining the BE, for sure. Granted both teams have had miserable flame outs in the tournament. I think McDermott is a solid coach- he has a good offensive system that attracts players and the stadium/crowd is pretty great too. I'd start to be a little concerned with him if they have yet another early out in March, though.

Xavier hasn't outperformed Creighton since joining the Big East, they've outperformed Creighton since the schools started sponsoring a basketball team.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    This idea that practice is the only factor in game minutes is disturbing to me. Yes, players have to be motivated to practice, but sometimes I wonder. It's almost as if a guy could drop 20 pts., have a bad week of practice, and be benched the next game. A guy like Allen Iverson would probably have never seen the floor in our system.
    I read somewhere that Nova's 3 recruit requirements are: Athletic, Shooter, and High BB IQ. I think X's only requirements are Athleticism, and flashy video.
    I'm seriously confused on who people think should be getting more minutes? Do we have someone who has dropped 20 points and had a bad practice and doesnt play now?

Carter has been disappointing and seriously lacks confidence at times but he is light years better than James from what I have seen. An to say he doesnt have range outside of 8-10 feet is confusing. He shoots the same % from 3 thats Naji does.

To me Bryce Moore is the biggest disappointment.

Also I cant believe some of you made me defend Jason Carter. I have been so disappointed with him so many games, but seriously we have literally no one else right now that could take minutes from him.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I'm seriously confused on who people think should be getting more minutes? Do we have someone who has dropped 20 points and had a bad practice and doesnt play now?

Carter has been disappointing and seriously lacks confidence at times but he is light years better than James from what I have seen. An to say he doesnt have range outside of 8-10 feet is confusing. He shoots the same % from 3 thats Naji does.

To me Bryce Moore is the biggest disappointment.

Also I cant believe some of you made me defend Jason Carter. I have been so disappointed with him so many games, but seriously we have literally no one else right now that could take minutes from him.
    After the rock bottom effort at Marquette, Steele set the starting 5 for the next game (vs. Georgetown) according to "Xavier Way" practice points. It just so happens this lineup has won 5 of 7, so Steele has stuck with it. This has led to a contingent on here accusing Steele of only giving playing time based on practice points, even citing players like Tu Holloway and Jordan Crawford who may not have been the strongest in practice, I guess to give the impression that Steele would not have given them minutes? It is confusing.

There's absolutely no evidence that Steele doles out minutes purely based on practice performance. And as you correctly pointed out, all potential contributors to the team are playing significant minutes, so the frustration some have is pretty misplaced.

"A guy like Allen Iverson would probably have never seen the floor in our system" is probably one of the best lines ever posted to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I read an old article about Young getting kicked off the team. His junior year he lost PT to both Chalmers and Dedrick Finn. My recollection is that he was playing a few minutes a game before he got kicked off, and when he did get in he would just launch threes.

I thought about Williams, but I don't think he left because of PT. I thought he played a fair amount his freshman year. I think he was just kind of a different guy who went to multiple high schools and then multiple colleges. Didn't he transfer to Colorado and then transferred to OK?
    Young did play well at NC Central but that was a step down in competition. Someone like Williams is really the only one that remotely fits, and even he's a stretch because like you said it wasn't just playing time. He did play a fair amount at Oklahoma - I looked him up and he average about 20 min/game with them. Didn't see any mention of Colorado - maybe he was considering there then decided on OU?

So I think over the past 30 years to have possibly 1 or 2 transfers that played better after they left says a lot about the coaches and their decisions as to who should be playing. Now maybe Steele is the anomaly to all this - 2 years is a short frame of reference - but based on past history it looks like we can trust that the coaches know who should be playing and who should not.

According to this link, Jaison Williams spent a year in Juco at the College of Southern Idaho in between Xavier and Oklahoma. He went to high school in Colorado:

https://sites.google.com/site/play2w...son-williams-g