View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 66 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

I didn’t realize how bad Chris Mack’s recruiting was at until I just looked back. There was some real crap most years and most guys never worked out. To be honest his only class that had great success was the one with Trevon and JP. Man did he get lucky with them and was able to parlay it into the Louisville job. His other good years were mostly with Sean’s guys. I have faith Travis will bring in much more consistent classes which will lead to more success in my opinion. Maybe we will finally brake the door down with some consistency and tenure with recruiting. I think the crap we have seen the last two years will be a blip once Travis has his full guys and the system he wants in place.

Chris Mack sucked. Anybody who thought he was a good coach was young or related
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    What are you talking about- Uncle Christoper was a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    You know, I just don't get this. I understand being upset Mack left for Louisville, but.....

He was National Coach of the Year
    Has the most wins of any XU coach
    Had the most S16's of any coach, and an E8
    Lead us to the highest poll rating in history, and our only #1 NCAA seed

So, you don't like him personally, or because he left for another job.
    But to think he didn't know how to coach seems a little strange.
    And no...I'm neither related, nor young.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    You know, I just don't get this. I understand being upset Mack left for Louisville, but.....

I think he can coach but not convinced he is a great defensive coach and I also think his big ego still gets the best of him. If you look back at his recruiting classes at Xavier it is kind of nuts how few of the guys he recruited panned out and or lasted four years. He is playing with Rick’s guys now, like he did with Sean’s guys at first. He has a really big class now and only like one of his 6 recruits really sees the floor. Will be interesting to see how many of his first class leave the program. If he has a few, that will show it’s still the same with him. He does better getting transfers in my opinion.

We have no choice but to wait this out with Steele. This sucks. We are no better a team today than the first day if the season. Progression by Jones and that's about it. Glimpses of hope with KyKy and ZF. I have no doubt a more veteran coach would have this team with 3-4 more wins. Hard to have faith when you see regression in a team that has enough talent to be in the NCAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post

Honestly, I never cared for Mack’s smugness, especially with how he handled the media. He is definitely N above average coach, though, made even because of his talented assistances. He did not have the quite the loyalty, integrity or talent as say a Jay Wright... and he knew damn well that if he didn’t take that obscenely generous offer by Louisville, he was going to be stuck with a much less talented team for years and likely lose a bit of his hype as one of the high profile coaches to poach.

One thing that will sting for Mack the rest of his life is that he knows he had an elitely talented 1 seed team his final season at X and literally
    squandered the perfect opportunity to prove he could take that talent and coach them to the final four.

Personally. I feel like Steele has much more integrity and may even be a little more loyal. Always found it amusing when Mack would say, “The Big East is the best college basketball conference in the country.” ...and then as soon as he took the Louisville job he said, “The ACC is the best college basketball conference in the country... and it is not even close.”

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    We have no choice but to wait this out with Steele. This sucks. We are no better a team today than the first day if the season. Progression by Jones and that's about it. Glimpses of hope with KyKy and ZF. I have no doubt a more veteran coach would have this team with 3-4 more wins. Hard to have faith when you see regression in a team that has enough talent to be in the NCAA's.
    If the season ended today they would be in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    If the season ended today they would be in the NCAA.
    It doesn't, we've lost 2 of the last 3 and haven't played well at all in any of those games. Season isn't over, but getting to 20 wins seems unlikely me to. I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    It doesn't, we've lost 2 of the last 3 and haven't played well at all in any of those games. Season isn't over, but getting to 20 wins seems unlikely me to. I hope I am wrong.
    Jeez man, this is a seriously negative way to paint the last month. What would your take be if X beat Nova? Because the fortunes of a team that’s pretty much playing to be an 8-12 seed should not swing that wildly on losing one Q1 game. Especially when that team already has a massive marquee Q1 win and the strength of the resume after that is “no bad losses.”