View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 33 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

X has stupid basketball players, that’s all you need to know. They might be book smart but when it comes to hoops they are dumb as hell. I still think of X just refuses to shoot any 3’s next game they may win by 75 points. Give it a shot Travis
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    2. They’ve had time to work on their game and make some adjustments to position themselves for victories. We need to see that.
    This is where I stand. We’ve had 7 days (may be for silver lining thread) to adjust on who should start and so forth. It’ll be interesting to see if we have a new lineup and/or attitude. Should tell us a lot!

Supporting Member
    If they have the exact same lineup, I might flip the f out. Changes have to be made.

BTW, Duke can play stupidly also.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And you continually miss the point and still haven't given Collier the credit for having a solid backup plan. Butler is Number 5 in the country. We stink with few answers or improvement. Butler and Xavier have similar rosters. They controlled the damage. To date we are not.

Welp. Matt Graves was a Head Coach, but he stunk and was fired. Not nearly as successful as Holtmann who had just been given a contract extension, in fact Graves' teams never made a post season. And this team's offense is as bad as before, the rebounding is a disaster and the defense stinks too. If he's the backup plan and if that's who Steele thinks is a guy who can help, Lord help us.

And the fact that you would not have hired Chris Holtmann tells me that you know absolutely zero about basketball. So this discussion between us is over. Keep doing your mindless accusations and reckless finger pointing tho. I'm sure you give yourself the warm and fuzzies...or is that from Xavier's current dumpster fire? Hmmmm.
    Butler will no longer be in the top 5 as they have now lost two straight and could have three if they didn't get lucky at St. John's. Ohio State and that awesome coach Holtmann is now 2-5 in the Big 10. I bet Butler ends up with 7 Big East losses and Ohio State will have at least 10 Big 10 losses.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    And THAT my friend is EXACTLY the attitude that could be called “spoiled”. That last line.

There’s a HECK OF A LOT MORE than just being at a point where a school is a national championship contender caliber. To imply THAT is the only reason to have an intercollegiate program demeans the efforts of virtually 99% of the universities in the land and all but one Xavier University squad that has ever competed. To TRY to be the best that are capable of being in ALL we can ask of the program. If that means being a national championship contender, great! But I’m certainly not going to demean those teams that never had that in them, yet worked hard and did what they could to reach the level their talents would allow them to. If Xavier never makes a final 4, never is a #1 seed again, and never wins a NC, yet continues to represent the university with class, continues to graduate its players, continues to produce people that we can all be proud of...I’ll remain a fan forever. My friend, THAT is what it is really all about.

You might not like it when people that have been fans longer than you have been alive think of others as “spoiled” by the success that Xavier has enjoyed over the last 20 years. Maybe it’s not a very accurate term. Perhaps describing them as “ having their priorities wrong” is a better term?
    I’m sure Fordham graduates many of their players, and those players contribute largely to their surrounding community. I bet they are proud to have the honor play for them, but if Xavier ever says “okay this is good enough” we’ve been spoiled so we’re fine taking a step or two back, we might as well be Fordham. Aspiring for more is what separates the 99 percent from the 1 percent. No ones demeaning past teams, but a standard is a standard and I want that for Xavier. I want X to win. If we aren’t going full speed towards the highest level then we are accepting defeat.

Sure, when X can lure and/or keep the top coaches with the requisite dollars....

I don’t care about the community I want to win. Xavier is the only thing that makes
    Winter fun. If they suck that means my entire year of sports sucks. Bungles, reds then Xavier.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jehoya View Post
    I’m sure Fordham graduates many of their players, and those players contribute largely to their surrounding community. I bet they are proud to have the honor play for them, but if Xavier ever says “okay this is good enough” we’ve been spoiled so we’re fine taking a step or two back, we might as well be Fordham. Aspiring for more is what separates the 99 percent from the 1 percent. No ones demeaning past teams, but a standard is a standard and I want that for Xavier. I want X to win. If we aren’t going full speed towards the highest level then we are accepting defeat.
    Nothing wrong with trying to reach those levels, nothing wrong with giving it everything you can to reach those levels....UNTIL the quest to reach those levels means that you abandon the core principles that are really what is important. Xavier is a University first and foremost. It’s mission is to educate and prepare people for their lives outside of sports. It’s not to just win ball games. “a standard is a standard” sounds cute, But what does it really mean? Xavier already has standards when it comes to academic performance, employee and student behavior, and admissions. Beyond that it has GOALS. Should it abandon its standards in order to reach its goals? Should we? One of those standards deals with supporting others. Others within the Xavier family. Travis has certainly earned his spot in the Xavier family, win or lose. So have the players on the team. Yet it seems that some here are ready to just toss them all aside because they aren’t reaching the level of performance that some here act like is their “standard”.

If X does not reach the sweet 16 some years, or fails to even reach the tourney, we would all call that disappointing performance because we have expectations that they can do that. But to not “accept” anything less. To “demand” that of the program......as FANS......leaves me scratching my head and saying wow, just wow. Xavier has already reached levels for success on the court that many of us could never have even imagined they would. It wasn’t even a dream. A spoiled child is one that gets upset when they don’t get what they want, and it’s also one that doesn’t appreciate what they have. Nobody is saying that X shouldn’t have it as a GOAL to reach the highest level possible, even if that was not a goal that we could even dream of not that many years ago. But to say that not “going full spread towards the highest level” is “accepting defeat”, when the “highest level” is a national championship and nothing else, seems to me to be where someone has forgotten what the purpose of the university really is.

Just how far do they have to go to be “going full speed towards the highest level”? Do they have to drop all other sports and put all of their money into men’s basketball? Should they drop academic standards to a point where they recruit any player, even those that they know won’t succeed in class? Should they flaunt NCAA rules? What standards elsewhere are you willing to let go in search of that “highest level”? Are you willing for X to become something they are not....and I mean that in a bad way....just so that they can hang banners?

I hear that Freemantle shoots until he makes 200 3 pointers every morning a 7. I heard that Tandy was shooting in the gym at 3:30 in the morning after returning from a road trip. I am pretty sure that 99% of the people here really have no idea what the schedule for these student-athletes is and what they sacrifice to be a member of the team. I’d be willing to bet that Travis and the other coaches are putting in some all-nighters after games and haven’t seen much of their families the last couple of months. Sounds to me like the players and coaches are going “full speed”. I haven’t seen any of them mailing it in. Heck, they were down 20 and still pressing in the last 30 seconds of the Marquette game, that’s certainly not giving up. They are certainly TRYING to reach the goals that you want. As long as THEY keep TRYING and are not giving up, neither should we. If they don’t reach those goals, and yet have done everything within their power, having not sacrificed their standards in regards to academics and personal behavior along the way.....they certainly are not “accepting defeat”. If we continue to support them in these times of adversity, neither are we. Maybe they won’t ever reach F4 or NC level, but by trying to reach those levels they will climb higher than they might otherwise have ever done. THAT is victory, no matter where they end up in the standings.

By the way....Xavier has a lot of basketball alumni that actually LOST games to Fordham. Some of them are counted among the great of Xavier basketball. Does having lost to that university lower them in some way? Fordham has many famous alumni (Vince Lombardi was one) that have been great contributors to sport and society. There’s nothing wrong with being a Fordham. As a Xavier alumnus, if Xavier was still playing against teams of that caliber, and was still competing at that level, I’d still be a fan. The level that the BB program at X has reached has not effected my life in any real way. The most it has done is to mean that I actually spend more time watching them on TV than I would if their games weren’t on TV and I could only hear them on the radio. Sometimes that’s a negative because we sometimes schedule events around their games, especially during NCAA tourney time. I probably waste way to much time on this board. When people ask me where I went to college, and I tell them X, they now know who that is. I don’t think that X making a final 4 or winning a NC is going to change that much, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Nothing wrong with trying to reach those levels, nothing wrong with giving it everything you can to reach those levels....UNTIL the quest to reach those levels means that you abandon the core principles that are really what is important. Xavier is a University first and foremost. It’s mission is to educate and prepare people for their lives outside of sports. It’s not to just win ball games. “a standard is a standard” sounds cute, But what does it really mean? Xavier already has standards when it comes to academic performance, employee and student behavior, and admissions. Beyond that it has GOALS. Should it abandon its standards in order to reach its goals? Should we? One of those standards deals with supporting others. Others within the Xavier family. Travis has certainly earned his spot in the Xavier family, win or lose. So have the players on the team. Yet it seems that some here are ready to just toss them all aside because they aren’t reaching the level of performance that some here act like is their “standard”.

If X does not reach the sweet 16 some years, or fails to even reach the tourney, we would all call that disappointing performance because we have expectations that they can do that. But to not “accept” anything less. To “demand” that of the program......as FANS......leaves me scratching my head and saying wow, just wow. Xavier has already reached levels for success on the court that many of us could never have even imagined they would. It wasn’t even a dream. A spoiled child is one that gets upset when they don’t get what they want, and it’s also one that doesn’t appreciate what they have. Nobody is saying that X shouldn’t have it as a GOAL to reach the highest level possible, even if that was not a goal that we could even dream of not that many years ago. But to say that not “going full spread towards the highest level” is “accepting defeat”, when the “highest level” is a national championship and nothing else, seems to me to be where someone has forgotten what the purpose of the university really is.

Just how far do they have to go to be “going full speed towards the highest level”? Do they have to drop all other sports and put all of their money into men’s basketball? Should they drop academic standards to a point where they recruit any player, even those that they know won’t succeed in class? Should they flaunt NCAA rules? What standards elsewhere are you willing to let go in search of that “highest level”? Are you willing for X to become something they are not....and I mean that in a bad way....just so that they can hang banners?

I hear that Freemantle shoots until he makes 200 3 pointers every morning a 7. I heard that Tandy was shooting in the gym at 3:30 in the morning after returning from a road trip. I am pretty sure that 99% of the people here really have no idea what the schedule for these student-athletes is and what they sacrifice to be a member of the team. I’d be willing to bet that Travis and the other coaches are putting in some all-nighters after games and haven’t seen much of their families the last couple of months. Sounds to me like the players and coaches are going “full speed”. I haven’t seen any of them mailing it in. Heck, they were down 20 and still pressing in the last 30 seconds of the Marquette game, that’s certainly not giving up. They are certainly TRYING to reach the goals that you want. As long as THEY keep TRYING and are not giving up, neither should we. If they don’t reach those goals, and yet have done everything within their power, having not sacrificed their standards in regards to academics and personal behavior along the way.....they certainly are not “accepting defeat”. If we continue to support them in these times of adversity, neither are we. Maybe they won’t ever reach F4 or NC level, but by trying to reach those levels they will climb higher than they might otherwise have ever done. THAT is victory, no matter where they end up in the standings.

By the way....Xavier has a lot of basketball alumni that actually LOST games to Fordham. Some of them are counted among the great of Xavier basketball. Does having lost to that university lower them in some way? Fordham has many famous alumni (Vince Lombardi was one) that have been great contributors to sport and society. There’s nothing wrong with being a Fordham. As a Xavier alumnus, if Xavier was still playing against teams of that caliber, and was still competing at that level, I’d still be a fan. The level that the BB program at X has reached has not effected my life in any real way. The most it has done is to mean that I actually spend more time watching them on TV than I would if their games weren’t on TV and I could only hear them on the radio. Sometimes that’s a negative because we sometimes schedule events around their games, especially during NCAA tourney time. I probably waste way to much time on this board. When people ask me where I went to college, and I tell them X, they now know who that is. I don’t think that X making a final 4 or winning a NC is going to change that much, if at all.
    FYI, this is a Xavier basketball message board. Don’t think anyone really cares about graduation rates and academics when we’re discussing frustrations with this particular team in a vacuum. Every school Xavier competes against also has players going to class and graduating. We all appreciate this stuff, but it’s not some grand answer to those expecting more from the basketball team.