Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 136 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1987

Thread: Coach Steele

All-Conference
    It also shows that X is kind of rolling the dice with Steele. The ranking really doesn’t mean anything. When you look at the list he’s lumped in with, it’s not a particularly great one. I’m guessing less than 25% on that list ever even get a major D1 Head coaching job.

Basically he’s lumped in with the “potential” group. But I guess not much different than how X has always done it.

“Who knows, the Musketeers might have made the tournament in 2020.”

According to Wikipedia, Xavier definitely made the tournament in 2020: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavi...27s_basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    “Who knows, the Musketeers might have made the tournament in 2020.”

According to Wikipedia, Xavier definitely made the tournament in 2020: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavi...27s_basketball
    There you go, facts are facts!

Don't know if you guys knew about it, or listened to it, but Kyle Castlin has a Podcast- it's called Trials Make Champions- and it's on Apple Podcasts.
    It was posted a couple of days ago and if you follow Shannon Russell on Twitter, she posted a link to it. It is lengthy, almost an hour. Kyle does a nice job.

The one pertinent question, to me, that Kyle asked, was this one. "Coach, after your first year, what did you learn and how did you adjust going into your second year?
    Answer: "The thing I learned the most was that I needed to challenge my staff more and expect more from them. I discovered that you have to coach your staff as hard as you coach your players."

Hmmm. That can be taken two ways, IMO.
    Way number one is that he realized that he needed to become more of a CBB CEO, like he said Sean Miller was?
    Way number two was that he was absolving himself from blame and putting shortcomings on a staff that was not giving him proper support, feedback and creativity? Maybe that is why he Matthew Graves was brought in, to arguably marginal benefit?

You decide.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    I listened to it and while I found that to be an interesting comment, overall I was impressed with what was shared and what they are working on to get better. I remain confident that we have the right guy. There have been growing pains but the reality remains you cannot win against high level competition without players who can shoot and the last two teams have not had anyone who was a consistent outside threat. They were way too easy to defend.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Don't know if you guys knew about it, or listened to it, but Kyle Castlin has a Podcast- it's called Trials Make Champions- and it's on Apple Podcasts.
    It was posted a couple of days ago and if you follow Shannon Russell on Twitter, she posted a link to it. It is lengthy, almost an hour. Kyle does a nice job.

The one pertinent question, to me, that Kyle asked, was this one. "Coach, after your first year, what did you learn and how did you adjust going into your second year?
    Answer: "The thing I learned the most was that I needed to challenge my staff more and expect more from them. I discovered that you have to coach your staff as hard as you coach your players."

Hmmm. That can be taken two ways, IMO.
    Way number one is that he realized that he needed to become more of a CBB CEO, like he said Sean Miller was?
    Way number two was that he was absolving himself from blame and putting shortcomings on a staff that was not giving him proper support, feedback and creativity? Maybe that is why he Matthew Graves was brought in, to arguably marginal benefit?

You decide.
    I'll take Door No. 1.

And, while I have no way of evaluating the contribution of Graves, to me, his level of involvement and its results were not obvious. Maybe he was effective in some ways but I just cannot identify his actual level of effectiveness.

But, I'm still not happy with last season. Thankfully, I can put it in the rear view mirror because today I learned Kylie Jenner is not really the nation's youngest self made billionaire. Turns out she faked it. A bad season and now this. I can't take it. What's next?
    Last edited by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever; 05-29-2020 at 06:15 PM.

I am Door number 1 too. After some distance from the season, I realize that I have not spent as much time giving him credit for the things he does well.
    1) Run a clean program. After all the crap that comes out about Duke (Zion) and Kansas and Louisville and Arizona - while it may seem like that is table stakes - it is something that we all too often gloss over as a fan base. We are not big enough to survive a scandal - so while it is an expectation - I appreciate that the expectation was met.
    2) Bring back defense. There was a toughness to the team that was awesome to see. They kept battling - even if they didnt follow the game plan or made bone headed decisions or were too selfish
    3) Recruit. From everything we have seen - I am optimistic that our path to being offensively AVERAGE should be probable.

If our path to success is like Virgina's - Great Defense - Average Offense - so be it. I dont mind that at all - especially when it comes to Tournament games.

If we are the Big East team that everyone hates to play because of our defense (like the old Huggy bear teams) so be it. I dont mind that at all.

Bottom line - if our defenisve intesity remains and we become league average on turnovers and offense - very doable in my opinion - we should be in good shape for next year.

Junior
    Depends on the definition of a clean program. They certainly aren't doing things like Duke/Kansas/Louisville but I am sure they aren't clean. Same with 90% of top 100 programs.

Anyways, I did love the fact that the team absolutely battled and stayed in games. That was one thing Mack teams had a tendency to do- fold quickly at adversity. I actually think you will start to see as Travis gets the guys he wants/fits his system- you will see the offense become the strong point of the team again. I thought he was the offensive coach for Mack? That is his specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Depends on the definition of a clean program. They certainly aren't doing things like Duke/Kansas/Louisville but I am sure they aren't clean. Same with 90% of top 100 programs.

Anyways, I did love the fact that the team absolutely battled and stayed in games. That was one thing Mack teams had a tendency to do- fold quickly at adversity. I actually think you will start to see as Travis gets the guys he wants/fits his system- you will see the offense become the strong point of the team again. I thought he was the offensive coach for Mack? That is his specialty.
    Last year's team really wasn't that far away from being pretty good. They didn't have a PG which makes it very hard to be successful at a high level. I remember probably 3-5 games that I think they lost directly due to not having a PG. When they got pressured on the ball things tended to fall apart.
    Eat Donuts!

Sophomore
    This quote from Zach F seems to indicate that there were some internal issues with the team this past season - as some have speculated on this board:

“We’ve got to have better communication,” said Freemantle. “It’s got to get better both on and off the court, but mostly on the court, we’ve got to make sure everybody is on the same page with what we are doing.”

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/6/1...-notebook.aspx