View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 63 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    You think Xavier played like garbage? Did you watch the game? Yeah they turned it over a lot but that’s what St. John’s does. They led more than they didn’t, dominated the boards and won on the road after not quitting. Give some freakin credit. The coach was handed a rough deal and he is progressing. His freshman have been proving solid after being coached. Not sure what Travis did to you but enjoy the ride. You praised Butler and they have not been world beaters. They are not set up as Xavier is, and if you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe go buy Butler season tickets.
    What kind of a “Rough Deal” was he handed?
    - 4 returning veteran starters
    - A highly rated freshman class that, giving credit to Steele, he recruited.
    - A preseason Top 20 ranking
    - 10 extra practices in anticipation of, and extra practices and 4 games in Spain to work this all in.
    Every D1 College coach in America would take that “Rough Deal” in a N.Y. minute.
    Uh, Xavier throwing the ball directly to the other team and being stupid with the ball has nothing to do with what St. John’s does.
    Want to argue that Xavier played like garbage? Ask Steele himself. He already said it immediately after the game. Want to argue with the Coach who’s team is still making the same mistakes 26 games in..with veterans?
    We got lucky. We’ll take it, but if you can’t see the warts that still exist on this team, I don’t know what to tell you.
    And my two Premium Xavier Season tickets are just fine, thank you.
    Where are yours?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

You think Xavier played like garbage? Did you watch the game? Yeah they turned it over a lot but that’s what St. John’s does. They led more than they didn’t, dominated the boards and won on the road after not quitting. Give some freakin credit. The coach was handed a rough deal and he is progressing. His freshman have been proving solid after being coached. Not sure what Travis did to you but enjoy the ride. You praised Butler and they have not been world beaters. They are not set up as Xavier is, and if you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe go buy Butler season tickets.
    - 10 extra practices in anticipation of, and extra practices and 4 games in Spain to work this all in.
    Every D1 College coach in America would take that “Rough Deal” in a N.Y. minute.
    Uh, Xavier throwing the ball directly to the other team and being stupid with the ball has nothing to do with what St. John’s does.
    Want to argue that Xavier played like garbage? Ask Steele himself. He already said it immediately after the game. Want to argue with the Coach who’s team is still making the same mistakes 26 games in..with veterans?
    We got lucky. We’ll take it, but if you can’t see the warts that still exist on this team, I don’t know what to tell you.
    Where are yours?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Where are yours?
    1. Travis was left with 4 players, two who were decent freshman by the numbers and no recruiting class, and a point guard who couldn’t shoot. He had to scramble. Did you not know that?
    2. He lost legends Trevon and JP. Were they big losses? Not to mention he was never a head coach.
    3. Did you expect miracles?

1. Travis was left with 4 players, two who were decent freshman by the numbers and no recruiting class, and a point guard who couldn’t shoot. He had to scramble. Did you not know that?
    2. He lost legends Trevon and JP. Were they big losses? Not to mention he was never a head coach.
    3. Did you expect miracles?
    In addition, I have been going to Xavier games since I was born and have had premium season tickets since Cintas opened. Not sure where you were going with that. Have been to road trips all over the country.

[QUOTE=Masterofreality;667593]What kind of a “Rough Deal” was he handed?
    Where are yours?[

That last part stings a bit. I was there when Gary Massa scored his 1000 point, I was there when Xavier played Alcorn State in Dayton, I was there when Xavier beat Missouri and played and should have beat Duke in Indy, when Leroy Greenidge was handing out wrist bands out of introductions at Schmidt, i was there getting autographs at the gardens from McBride and others, I was there when Byron scored 45 in the MCC tourney, when David West scored 47 against Dayton, when Xavier fans stomped the floor in Dayton, when Xavier beat Creighton on New Years, when we beat Indiana in Chicago, beat Louisville in Cincy and on. That’s off the top of my head, there were many more. Don’t question my fandom.

Let us not forget that with all of the enthusiasm Xavier played like garbage for most of the St. John’s game with 22 turnovers, and it took a missed front end of a 1-1 By a 78% free throw shooter to even give X a chance for Naji to Free’s basket. Also remember that the Johnnies were without one of their best players in Herron. We got lucky as hell after losing a very winnable game at Butler.

GO X!!
    That was a Quad 1 win for X. It was a good win. Enjoy it!

Buddy you talked about me getting Butler season tickets. You started it. I wasn’t going anywhere with it.
    And I sat through 3-23 and 5-21, so don’t think I know it could be worse.
    This team has warts after 30 games counting Spain and they were damn lucky to beat a shorthanded St. John’s team. Forgive me for still having questions about this “System”.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    That was a Quad 1 win for X. It was a good win. Enjoy it!

I AM! It clinched us a winning season and an NIT bid at worst.

[QUOTE=xavierj;667598]
    Where are yours?[

That last part stings a bit. I was there when Gary Massa scored his 1000 point, I was there when Xavier played Alcorn State in Dayton, I was there when Xavier beat Missouri and played and should have beat Duke in Indy, when Leroy Greenidge was handing out wrist bands out of introductions at Schmidt, i was there getting autographs at the gardens from McBride and others, I was there when Byron scored 45 in the MCC tourney, when David West scored 47 against Dayton, when Xavier fans stomped the floor in Dayton, when Xavier beat Creighton on New Years, when we beat Indiana in Chicago, beat Louisville in Cincy and on. That’s off the top of my head, there were many more. Don’t question my fandom.
    I think I've got you beat. I went to my first game in 1974- Xavier 105 Union 49. After that game, I thought X was the best team in the country. I was there when X lost to NKU, at home, when the attendance at games would be 800 (estimated), when Tay Baker's recruiting classes consisted of 2 or 3 guys from the GCL.

It's nothing short of amazing how far X has come, particularly a school of our size.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-21-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Buddy
    And I sat through 3-23 and 5-21, so don’t think I know it could be worse.
    And you have me beat. The Krajack and Dick Campbell years were before my time.

I'm still trying to figure out whose great idea it was to then hire UC's former coach who got fired by UC.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-21-2020 at 08:55 AM.