View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 98 of 199 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Pat Kelsey?!? Are people still talking about him for real? Weird.
    No just me. He is on tv right now in the big south championship. I just think he ends up being Xavier’s next coach when Steele leaves. Imo
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    No just me. He is on tv right now in the big south championship. I just think he ends up being Xavier’s next coach when Steele leaves. Imo
    I suppose it's possible that Christopher and our next president will have lost their damned minds.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'll never understand how Xavier has had guys like Tyrone Hill, Aaron Williams, Derek Strong, James Posey, David West when we were in shit conferences. All of those guys were bonafide NBA players that had long careers.

We won't make that last 2% Travis Steele talks so much about until we start getting legit NBA talent. Either top ranked recruits that are sure fire studs or developing guys that end up as NBA talents; not borderline NBA guys that end up in the G-league or in some obsure European league.

Just look at what Obi Toppin has done for Dayton this year.
    Beyond just luck or good fortune, we had great coaching. Gillen, Prosser, Matta were great and their staffs were loaded with great assistants as well. Mark Schmidt has turned St. Bona's into a respectable program, Gaudio had Wake Forest at #1 at one point, Groce, for his struggles at Illinois, just won the conference at Akron, and guys like Sean Miller and Chris Mack were lurking on those staffs as well.

Another reason may be that guys were able to slip through the cracks a little more back then as far as recruiting goes. It's much easier to discover guys and scout guys from afar now then it was then. Grant and Hill were right in our back yard and we were basically the only ones to notice them so we got them.

One thing that's encouraging about Travis to me is the development of Tyrique (which, to be fair, is probably a lot to do with Jonas, but Travis gets credit for hiring him) into a very, very good big man despite his limitations. He's the best rebounder we've had since Hill and West. Reminds me of them in that way. If he had a little more natural offensive skill, he'd be an NBA prospect. Naji is also looking like he might get taken in the second round if he comes out, which I think is a credit to Steele as well.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    They didn’t have recruiting rankings, which mean iish, when guys like Ty Hill, Derek Strong, Aaron Williams Brian Grant, Michael Hawkins were playing.
    Not even sure about David West & James Posey but maybe.
    C’mon man. I’m missing no point. Keep being an apologist for an NIT coach who has underperformed. We’ll just have to see if these guys are legit. 2 out of five have played any legit time. But to say that these classes are the best ever (screw the subjective star ratings) is at best premature
    Really, is your hatred now so deep that you have completely lost touch with reality and the fact that Hill, Strong, Williams and Grant were all under recruited, diamonds in the rough. West was the same to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Really, is your hatred now so deep that you have completely lost touch with reality and the fact that Hill, Strong, Williams and Grant were all under recruited, diamonds in the rough. West was the same to a lesser extent.
    To be honest some of those guys probably would not have ended up at X because in today’s world they would have been like 2 star guys. Tyrone didn’t start playing basketball until his junior year and Grant didn’t play as a junior in high school and played at Georgetown Ohio.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I suppose it's possible that Christopher and our next president will have lost their damned minds.
    Why is that? I must be missing something. You saying he isnt a good coach or is it about how he left? Or backing out on UMASS?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Why is that? I must be missing something. You saying he isnt a good coach or is it about how he left? Or backing out on UMASS?
    The UMass thing. The weird way he dropped out of the NKU search. Plus the fact that he hasn't done nearly enough at Winthrop to be a serious candidate for a program like Xavier. He's probably due a promotion (from low major to mid major), but he keeps finding weird ways not to take such a promotion.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    The UMass thing. The weird way he dropped out of the NKU search. Plus the fact that he hasn't done nearly enough at Winthrop to be a serious candidate for a program like Xavier. He's probably due a promotion (from low major to mid major), but he keeps finding weird ways not to take such a promotion.
    Yeah I get concerns there but the qualifications thing I would get if we hadn't hired an unproven assistant who had never been a head coach at any level. Don't get me wrong I like the Steele hire and understand that is where we had our success and maybe that is the only way I guess we hire an unproven guy but Kelsey has taken them to two tourneys now and had them in the top 3 of their conference every year since his first year.

I think Steele can still be the guy, two years isnt long enough to say he isnt so its a moot point but I would think if he isnt and Xavier is looking soon that Kelsey would definitely be a candidate. But yes in general a more proven HC at a higher level probably would be better.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    That’s him!!!! One guy had a beard and the other guy had a hat on. He was outside also yelling LETS GO DOGS!!! I had to refrain from punching him being 44 years old. I video taped the whole thing . I’ll put in on YouTube and you can tell me if that’s him
    Sure sounds like them. The one with the hat was much more quiet and subdued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Fire travis

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    You apparently sit right across the aisle from me. I’m in 103. He was also standing in the aisle when he wasn’t directly in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep. I’m in 105 on the aisle. Good thing my wife wasn’t there. She would have had “words” with him.

Since you clearly now know who I am, but I have no idea who you are, say hi sometime next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bjf123; 03-08-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.