View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 49 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This is just a pet peeve of mine, but he was constantly saying "this is what I want" - I know it's probably not that big of a deal, but the program is for the players. I'm not saying the players should be calling the plays, but it's a subtle reference to a "my way or the highway" approach. I just don't think players really react to that kind of leadership anymore - he does seem very similar to Cronin in many ways, and this is another one.

He's not as animated or not as much of an overt dick to the players, but the players are just kind of staring at him like "whatever dude" - and then they go out and do what they want.

Love or hate Mack, he seemed to relate more to them. He gave it to them, but let them give it back a little too. I think players respect that.
    So my basketball playbook knowledge isnt great, but it sure seemed like Steele would say "Next offensive possession we are going to go Naji to Zach to Tyrique, swing out" Or whatever. Then the next offensive possession Naji would bring the ball up, no passes, and shoot it. (Picking on him, but it was all the players). I never recognized one play actually being executed the way it was called (although, as I prefaced, some of this could be my lack of X and O knowledge)

From yesterday, I'm wondering if Steele and McDermott took slightly different tacks on the whole all-access deal. Steele didn't seem to change anything. Called out normal play names, Xs and Os in the huddle. Etc. I feel like McDermott took a few "precautions", but maybe I just misheard. It seemed like they had some things written down that the did not say out loud. Like I remember him telling one of his players in a time out that he wanted something like the "next three plays". He showed an assistant coach a piece of paper and said something along the lines of "look at the one by my thumb". That sort of thing. Also was interesting that McDermott clearly heard Steele's calls and then alerted his defense as to what to do/watch for on numerous occasions. I do not recall Steele doing that at all.

None of this is really criticism. Just observation based on what I noticed with that silly telecast. I have no idea what, if any, effect any of that would have had on the game.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 01-27-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Sophomore
    I post rarely these days.

I have totally reserved judgement because from a distance you just don’t know, plus this guy has recruited really well. I like his commitment to defense. I

I wasn’t loving a lot of what I was seeing before yesterday, but what I saw yesterday with the full access has me very concerned. I just didn’t see signs of great leadership or charisma on gameday. I’m concerned about the program—and this is a first for me.

I’m not in the fire Travis camp, but I’m not in the other camp either. He deserves 3 years imo. The offense just looks so awful, and the D and rebounding is not dominant.

I don’t care about the recipe for winning , just as long as it turns out delicious. I feel like the temperature in the oven is wrong though.

Random thoughts.
    2011-2012. KICK DOWN THE FUKING DOOR!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    From yesterday, I'm wondering if Steele and McDermott took slightly different tacks on the whole all-access deal. Steele didn't seem to change anything. Called out normal play names, Xs and Os in the huddle. Etc. I feel like McDermott took a few "precautions", but maybe I just misheard. It seemed like they had some things written down that the did not say out loud. Like I remember him telling one of his players in a time out that he wanted something like the "next three plays". He showed an assistant coach a piece of paper and said something along the lines of "look at the one by my thumb". That sort of thing. Also was interesting that McDermott clearly heard Steele's calls and then alerted his defense as to what to do/watch for on numerous occasions. I do not recall Steele doing that at all.

None of this is really criticism. Just observation based on what I noticed with that silly telecast. I have no idea what, if any, effect any of that would have had on the game.
    There was no doubt they had us well scouted, which I'm guessing is pretty typical.

My question is, why wouldn't you change the names of your plays every now and then? You're basically telling them what you're running.

Listened to the Coaches Show. For those who think I hate Steele with no recourse, I thought his answers tonight were fine and he did admit that “Offense is really the problem”. He’s still bemoaning shot selection, taking good shots and “giving what the game gives you” whatever that means, but at least he didn’t blindly just harp on defense. The questions from The Fans were crap but Byron asked some good ones.
    The unexplained item still is why is Jason Carter basically protected in this lineup? He had 3 freaking rebounds vs a smaller team and missed 3 wide open 3’s. He never, or was never positioned to be posted up against a smaller guard like he was vs Georgetown.
    Why not a starting 5 of Free, Ty, Scruggy, Q and Naji? Give James some time? Moore & Carter off the bench?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Looked like to me the guys are just looking to graduate. They didn’t seem too upset after the loss and they were even smiling during the handshake line. They just don’t appear to be listening to the coach and for some reason he is too scared to just sit them all down. Of course I’m probably way wrong and he just sucks as a coach.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by stophorseabuse View Post
    I post rarely these days.

I have totally reserved judgement because from a distance you just don’t know, plus this guy has recruited really well. I like his commitment to defense. I

I wasn’t loving a lot of what I was seeing before yesterday, but what I saw yesterday with the full access has me very concerned. I just didn’t see signs of great leadership or charisma on gameday. I’m concerned about the program—and this is a first for me.

I’m not in the fire Travis camp, but I’m not in the other camp either. He deserves 3 years imo. The offense just looks so awful, and the D and rebounding is not dominant.

I don’t care about the recipe for winning , just as long as it turns out delicious. I feel like the temperature in the oven is wrong though.

Random thoughts.
    Welcome back HORSE!!!!
    What you have expressed here reflects many of my concerns as well.
    But he careful, Horse. You might be accused of being a personal Steele Hater.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Welcome back HORSE!!!!
    What you have expressed here reflects many of my concerns as well.
    But he careful, Horse. You might be accused of being a personal Steele Hater.
    Ha!!! Ironically, I was accused of being just that last year...by the very poster who, ironically, started this thread. Life comes at you fast.

Quote Originally Posted by stophorseabuse View Post
    Good to here from you.

I don't know what it is, but I get the same feeling watching them. No desire. No heart. No character. No team. Just a bunch of individuals 'shootin hoops'.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Good to here from you.

I don't know what it is, but I get the same feeling watching them. No desire. No heart. No character. No team. Just a bunch of individuals 'shootin hoops'.
    They seem sterile, like itÂ’s almost too professional of an outfit. Not edgy, Lacking it emotion top to bottom. ItÂ’s not even that I donÂ’t think they play hard or even play selfishly, it just seems like a basic lack of fire. A lack of swagger that we are used too. We just donÂ’t have that dude on the team right now. We lack a Tu, a Drew, a Crawford, even a Macura. That guy may exist on the team, but he doesnÂ’t know it yet.

More than worries about a pretty offense, or a flowing offense full of seamless sets and wrinkles, I’m more worried that there isn’t “THAT GUY” with the capacity or understanding to “go get a bucket”.

It also concerns me that with that understanding, we still choose to , as a matter of fact RESIST pushing tempo and decide to use the clock on offense. That is great if you have great sets, or a star to go off the ball screen and create. But we are big and athletic and get a lot of stops, I donÂ’t understand why we donÂ’t attack defenses on their heels in transition.

Again, Steele May very well have a master plan that I don’t understand. I have a strong background with basketball, and I can always tell a great outfit when I see it—after I have seen it once.

What Steele is doing may be genius, but if it is itÂ’s a blueprint for excellence I am seeing for the first time . I hope that is exactly what it is.
    2011-2012. KICK DOWN THE FUKING DOOR!