View Poll Results: .

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 4 of 199 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Steele

Sophomore
    There is virtually no way Xavier is better next year than this year.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    Have you ever heard the term "addition by subtraction" ? This group just doesn't work together.

87: Coaching has nothing to do with multiple players missing wide open threes. They weren’t even guarding Goodin. The guy can’t shoot.

Then that means one of two things. Either the coach is okay with a guy who can't shoot threes taking only threes instead of driving to the basket(bad), or the coach isn't okay with it and the player is saying screw you, I'm chucking them up anyway (also bad). Steele should realize that the other team is allowing this certain horrible three point shooter to chuck them up because they know he can't make them and he won't stop taking them. That falls on the coach.
    Pray the Rosary daily

I recall Sean Miller not getting an NIT bid his first year and barely making the tournament as like a 14 seed the second year. Definitely not time to panic yet.

There hasn’t been a coach fan posts haven’t demanded being fired in the first 2 years. Seriously. Go back and research Matt’s, Miller and Mack. Gosh almighty. Folks would have been running Prosser early on, but there weren’t these fan posts in those days. I certainly have no idea if Steele will survive. But he will be here through next year and probably the following. Steele was left with a rather empty cupboard. Thankfully we have Marshall and Scruggs. Miles who I love graduates. Give this a bit of time with his own men. Otherwise, let’s fire his a$$ so we can get to the next guy we can bellyache about.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Throughout my career I have given countless annual job performance reviews and received one each year. In those meetings, there is a list of goals and objectives that were to be achieved each year. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to compare what was expected to what was achieved. If was was achieved falls short once, you give the benefit of the doubt. If what was achieved falls short a second year in a row, then something has to be done. Does it mean firing someone, not necessarily. But, it does mean making changes to what is currently being done to try and achieve these goals because obviously it isn't happening. If it happens a third year, the person failing to meet the goals and objectives needs to be told they'll have to seek employment elsewhere. It may seem cold, but it's real. X should be looking at the men's basketball situation this same way.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    87: Coaching has nothing to do with multiple players missing wide open threes. They weren’t even guarding Goodin. The guy can’t shoot.

Then that means one of two things. Either the coach is okay with a guy who can't shoot threes taking only threes instead of driving to the basket(bad), or the coach isn't okay with it and the player is saying screw you, I'm chucking them up anyway (also bad). Steele should realize that the other team is allowing this certain horrible three point shooter to chuck them up because they know he can't make them and he won't stop taking them. That falls on the coach.
    i don't think coaches are completely blameless when it comes to shooting, but it's definitely not the most controllable aspect of the game. steele's quote after the game today seems like he's been less than forceful when it comes to q's shooting. told him he has to make an adjustment to start driving... no shit! you should have been telling him this every practice for the last three years. i hope that's the case, but i'm not confident

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Havent read this whole thread yet. My answer though is no.

I do think the talent on our team though is not adding up to results on the court. We should be winning more. I think some of it is personnel and Travis isnt solely responsible for that as he only really has 1 class in and a second that was partly him partly Mack. I think some of it is his in game coaching and somehow for whatever reason his message he delivers in pressers (which I am sure is same in practice) is not getting through or being followed.

I really think Steele will benefit to an extent once there are no more players on the team who were there when he was an assistant.

I am confident in his recruiting abilities. Need to see more in game coaching development.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    If paul and naji stay, they will be better, otherwise absolutely.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Remember some on here being frustrated with the Tre and JP teams and ready to move on and see what the team would look like after them. We were going to be more athletic and potentially better. Yikes.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17