Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Shades of AI.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Again, sir. You miss the point. It's not about "loafing". It's about who can perform their best when the lights are brightest and understanding that.
    Some players do their work in practice but just don't have that lazer focus like game day. But when the game starts, they are locked in and loaded. They play their best because their concentration is just on the beam.
    Some players do their work in practice and just play free and easy there. But then when the cameras are on them, they tense up, think too much and just don't perform up to the best level.
    There are guys who are the "GAME GOATS" , but secondary practice players on every team I've ever been associated with- and the players on that team knew who they were, and wanted those guys in the game because they gave the team the best chance to win. Xavier Way points alone are subjective and don't consider heart, game readiness and the ability to bring the best. How many times did we hear that "such and such is our best shooter in practice but couldn't bring it in the game? Some elevate their game to the moment- example Jordan Crawford. Derrick Brown too. I'll bet he never won a Gold Jersey.
    I understand a grading system for helping guys improve and as a motivating tool. But to reduce players totally to a number on a piece of paper without considering game performance, matchup moves and how to counterbalance the opposition's weapons is just an elemental error. Not only that, but you had damn well better be grading the important skills at the right level. If your grading system is screwed up, your analysis will be too.
    Don James had a great game against St. Johns, because the staff finally got desperate enough to try him in...but he can't see the floor hardly at all since then? WTF? Jason Carter must have 25,000,000,000 Xavier Way points and Don, 4.
    I find it interesting that you would criticize Steele for using a system ("minutes are earned in practice") that has been utilized by every X coach dating back to Matta (and probably before). Were they all coaching idiots too? I get it that you don't like Steele, I get it that you think he's a coward and a liar, but can you at least criticize him on legitimate issues (and there are some) and not resort to some of this other nonsense, such as "he should have played Bishop more, he should have played Harden more, he should be playing James more, he purposely skipped his show on Monday because he was afraid to answer tough questions,", etc. etc. etc.

I have long respected you on this board, but your constant criticism of Steele, over every and any issue, some of it very personal, is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Last nights starting lineup gets torched by most BE teams... Creighton will be a huge test to this lineup defensively.
    And this lineup would also be a huge test to Creighton's lineup defensively. At some point Xavier has to sacrifice some on defense to get more offense on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    And this lineup would also be a huge test to Creighton's lineup defensively. At some point Xavier has to sacrifice some on defense to get more offense on the floor.
    I want this to be true! But I can’t see this offense being a huge defensive test for many teams. Bottom line is if this is the best shot we have of winning I’m for it. Just not convinced this lineup will last long yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I find it interesting that you would criticize Steele for using a system ("minutes are earned in practice") that has been utilized by every X coach dating back to Matta (and probably before). Were they all coaching idiots too? I get it that you don't like Steele, I get it that you think he's a coward and a liar, but can you at least criticize him on legitimate issues (and there are some) and not resort to some of this other nonsense, such as "he should have played Bishop more, he should have played Harden more, he should be playing James more, he purposely skipped his show on Monday because he was afraid to answer tough questions,", etc. etc. etc.

I have long respected you on this board, but your constant criticism of Steele, over every and any issue, some of it very personal, is just too much.
    Instead of finger pointing, Counselor, why don't you address my specific issues raised? I guess because you have no real rebuttal other than deflecting toward the attack of "you don't like Steele....you think he's a coward and a liar...". Uh, sir, I am able to have issues with his coaching style, decisions, approach, whatever, when those items result in underperformance, which they have, and still have no personal vendetta against him. I desire excellence and the best chance for this team and players to succeed, and I sincerely do not think the players have been put in the best positions to win.

As to "a system that has been utilized by every X coach back to Matta", are you sure, and can you verify please Counselor, that the measurements, practice analysis, and scoring of those points are the exact same as those other Coaches? If you cannot, your entire post is invalid.

Next, there is still no valid reason that he had to miss both a post game interview and a Monday night coaches show after a horrible performance. It smacks of hiding, it would have been roasted and laughed at on this board if it was Cronin, and I'm not excusing it here, just because it's Steele or any other coach. Please someone point to me when any other Xavier coach missed both of those shows in succession after a lousy, and totally trash game. I submit it has never happened.

Finally, rather than just skipping over those "legitimate issues" that are wrong with this team, why don't you bring them on the table? Maybe because they would cast a bad light on Steele and weaken your attacks on me?

"The witness will answer the question."
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-25-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Steele is taking his hiding from the media and fan base to a new level by agreeing to be mic’d up for the entire game tomorrow and granting the FS1 crew locker room access.

When will this man face the heat?

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Steele is taking his hiding from the media and fan base to a new level by agreeing to be mic’d up for the entire game tomorrow and granting the FS1 crew locker room access.

When will this man face the heat?
    Like he had any choice. LARGE EYE ROLL
    Quit deflecting.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I want this to be true! But I can’t see this offense being a huge defensive test for many teams. Bottom line is if this is the best shot we have of winning I’m for it. Just not convinced this lineup will last long yet.
    Isn't Creighton's tallest big only 6'7" ? I'd say the lineup from Wed is a big plus for us. Provided we can guard the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Isn't Creighton's tallest big only 6'7" ? I'd say the lineup from Wed is a big plus for us. Provided we can guard the arc.
    Sounds like an immovable object and unstoppable force dilemma.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

I’d be really surprised if we don’t see the same starting lineup. However, I’d be equally surprised if we don’t see several different lineups throughout the game.