Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    All-Conference

New Starting Line-Up?

Do we see a new starting line-up this Sunday? Do we counter defenses packing it in with multiple big men and our best shooters. Work inside/out to get Paul and Ky better looks?

Scruggs
    KyKy
    Tyrique
    Freemantle
    Naji

I’m ok with that lineup combo, but there’s no way Steele benches Q. Get KT more minutes, but you can’t sit a 4 year starting PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by X-Fan View Post
    but there’s no way Steele benches Q. Get KT more minutes, but you can’t sit a 4 year starting PG.
    Generally true from a starting perspective, but who finishes is more important than who starts. And Steele made it clear at Villanova that he's willing to have someone other than Q finish.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Generally true from a starting perspective, but who finishes is more important than who starts. And Steele made it clear at Villanova that he's willing to have someone other than Q finish.
    This is a good point.

Perhaps a better question is - do Freemantle and KyKy start to see extended minutes starting Sunday? I think Tyrique is ultra important to this team and his toughness and rebounding are needed. I'd rather see Ty and Freemantle gel together than Freemantle take some of his minutes.

Have Carter spell Free and Ty when they get tired.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-02-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Freshman
    Would like to see Freemantle or KyKy start in place of Carter, depending on the matchup. Carter be nice coming off bench. I wish both Ramsey & Miles weren't both being redshirTed. As far as shooting 3s, the line was moved back a foot plus. That has an impact we aren't addressing enough

I am good with moving Carter to the bench. He is a bench guy/ role player in the BE. I do wish he would just pull the trigger at times, I thought he would really help with our outside shots.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Fan View Post
    I’m ok with that lineup combo, but there’s no way Steele benches Q. Get KT more minutes, but you can’t sit a 4 year starting PG.

I agree with what you're saying, but the fear of not doing this because he's a 4 year starter is what worries me. The man in the first chair has to make this call, and can't be tentative with it if he feels it will help the team win / play better.

We've heard a bunch of tough talk from Steele, but not sure it matters if he never pulls the trigger.

Supporting Member
    Would love to see the suggested starting lineup, but I just dont see it happening. I cant see Steele pulling q from the starting lineup barring any kind if injury. I could see carter being replaced though....the jump in competition and role may just have stunned him a bit. We have seen this with other transfers that it takes a year to get acclimated.

I'm on board the KyKy hype train, but what's the argument for pulling Q from the starting lineup in his favor as of January 2, 2020? Not really a strong case for Steele to point to for a move that would likely shake up chemistry. As pointed out above, the approach Steele is willing to take game by game on who "finishes" should be more flexible (and based on the Nova game, it seems he's moving in that direction).

Agreed on Freemantle for Carter (although I'm not quite as down on Carter as many, still feel he brings value and will turn the corner offensively) - this would provide some added bench positional flexibility as well.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 01-02-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I agree with what you're saying, but the fear of not doing this because he's a 4 year starter is what worries me. The man in the first chair has to make this call, and can't be tentative with it if he feels it will help the team win / play better.

We've heard a bunch of tough talk from Steele, but not sure it matters if he never pulls the trigger.
    Agree, you don’t keep him in there “just because” he’s a 4 yr starter. What I meant was while he’s struggling a bit, Q adds a ton of value. No need to “throw out the baby with the bath water”. I feel not using Q would be a big loss. Let’s see Q finish strong and cap off his X career with great success.